Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tin not melting?

oh, no, first off the" tin " was in there a while before the shot, and also the shot didn't cover the slug completely, maybe 1/4 of it. smart guess though!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

im just going to combine my last batch with this one if I ever am able to get 3-4 lbs of tin, and probably add a little soft to help a bit with expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Did you say you had shot pellets stuck to the tin? Shot pellets are noted for having a hard shell that has to be crushed to fully melt, I am wondering if your tin was covered with pellet "hulls" so it wasn't getting the heat.
    Shouldn't be any problem melting shot, I did about 10kgs of a shot size i didn't need anymore and it melted just like any other lead alloy I've used. It was Winchester extra hard chilled shot which from some research is likely to contain 4 - 5% antimony. I couldn't find any information on if chilled shot contains tin. Most just mention lead and antimony alloy which probably stands to reason as lead shot production is not trying to fill out a mold like bullet casting where the alloy needs tin to fill out the mold properly. I did try casting with my 'shot' alloy and it is obvious I'll need to get around to adding some tin to get good fill out.

turkey fryer isn't working well,
    Its not producing enough heat.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I was thinking, what if it was silver solder? wouldn't that raise its melting temp?
    I use silver solder and mine is only 4% silver. It melts right in, like regular solder. I use a lot of it and you wouldn't know the difference from regular tin.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Its not producing enough heat.
    That was sort of my second guess. Heat and temperature are not the same. A chunk will absorb heat, when it absorbs enough to get to melt point it melts. Torch provides less "heat" overall than a properly working fryer burner BUT it raises the temperature to the melt point in a concentrated area.

In cold weather I can have a molten pot of lead with some chunks inside it not fully melted, the chunks just haven't received and/or absorbed enough heat to melt the whole chunk. Further going from a solid to a liquid "sucks" energy. Same in reverse, ice melting "sucks" heat energy from a drink to melt, which cools the drink. So just as ice cube can exist and maintain shape for awhile in a drink a chunk of lead or lead alloy can maintain it's shape until it pulls in enough heat to raise the chunks temp above melting.

Ice cube hit with torch melts really fast, dropped in room temperature tea it takes awhile to really start melting and only the surface will melt to a minor amount at first.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I also noticed that the "tin" has a chalky grey patina, which tin does not form if I am not mistaken. oh well, I have decided to make some money and order some tin. really cant afford it, but there no way that I can leave a batch un-done and improperly mixed. it would drive me crazy. once I get it right and mix it half an half with the prior batch I am going to add 40lbs, or 20lbs of pure for each batch. because when this stuff ages for a while it gets hard. if I throw a muffin ingot as hard as I can down onto concrete it makes a small dent and thats it. I want a bit more expansion that it has show as well. thanks for all the input!-Travis

so the end alloy will be more like 4%sb-4%sn-91.6%pb-.4%cu. I think with the way the first batch performed ( pretty hard but still deformed on impact, not quite a mushroom, more like a rivet) this change in the amount of certain ingredient will perform very well at the velocities it will see.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bismuth melting temperature ... 520.7 °F, lower than Pb at 620 F
    Zinc melting temperature - 787 F
    OK, let's try Linotype if the hardness test says it's about 22 Bhn ... melting temperature - 1167 F
    Regards
    John

are you really saying linotypes melting point is 1167? u sure you don't mean antimony?

Boolit Master
    Sorry, but linotype melts at 462 degrees, much less than pure lead.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Some copper sulfate and you make "bad stuff" into really good stuff

you talkin about zinc? I know all about copper sulfate, this batch and my last has CS in it

i melted the chunk that wouldn't melt in the pot with a torch, and a piece that was 3/16ths (apx.) thick bent with a bit of difficulty( but when i melted it it still had shot stuck to it, they both melted at the same time,) so hooray! it isn't zinc! anyways it was a bit hard to bend and it didn't creak or crackle like tin supposedly does ( I've never heard it) so now that i don't need to worry that it was zinc, i just have to scrape up the funds for 1-3lb bar of tin from orisolo, then find a new burner, well i found the one i want, i gotta find the money, then i just have to mix my two batches so they are identical. then i'll be set!lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12