Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Mould recommendations for making 38 Wadcutters for a Smith & Wesson 52

Boolit Mold

Mould recommendations for making 38 Wadcutters for a Smith & Wesson 52

Hi all,
    I'm wondering about mould recommendations for making some ammo for my 52..

If you're not familiar this is a semi auto target pistol which shoots only 38 special mid range WC ammo with the bullet driving band seated flush with the case mouth. It holds 5 rounds and is really a nice shooting handgun.

I read somewhere that Lyman or Ideal once made a mould especially for this pistol, I think the top cannelure grove is supposed to be missing as you can't use it to roll crimp the case mouth into and expect it to feed. Does anyone know about this and if this mould is worth looking for?

I've been looking at several moulds, H&G 50, a couple Lymans, Lee 6 cavity.. I bid on a Saeco and got outbid on fleabay at last minute... These all have cannelure grooves. Should I be looking at these or something else, or spring for a HBWC mould?

Also interested in sizing...I've heard that sometimes these pistols like .357 over .358... All I have is a .359 for a revolver..

I do know that my gun really doesn't like the Remington swaged 148 gr HBWC which measures out at .360 however it is really happy with Hornady swaged which mike .358 albeit with no lube grooves, just a knurled surface...

Advice appreciated...

///Gene

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Back in the day when I shot bullseye competition the H&G#50BB was very accurate in the S&W M52 with 3 grains of Bullseye.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a single 358432 (?) It's the full WC at 161 gr that can seat flush or first groove . I have a couple coffee jars full of the same bullet but 148gr . I loaded some for the sake of what the heck these are here I'm here and a 9mm should make as big a hole as a 38.
    Attachment 197194
    I just picked up a 2C Lyman of the 148 and the 161 will be offered up after I go through stuff to see what stays and goes .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Got this one (MP 359-395) about a month ago and love it. Not that many hollowbase wadcutter molds out there.

Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mp-molds 359-395HBWC_1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	197195
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

This mold works well for me, doesn't cost much, and makes a big pile of bullets in a hurry.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/787...rain-wadcutter

NOE has a hollow based wadcutter mold that shoots well in my 38 specials. It is also designed for crimping over the nose of the boolit.

Boolit Master

Too bad you missed out on the Saeco. It's been my favorite for 35 years.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Several of the old Lyman Ideal designs come to mind. As I recall from my loading of a M52 about 10 years ago, the 35863 (double ended wad cutter) worked quite well and may be the one you are referring to. I also loaded a bunch of 358425s that did well and the light weight worked really well at 25 yards./beagle

The M52 I was loading for loved a bullet that was darn near flush with the case mouth./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Genecockrell View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering about mould recommendations for making some ammo for my 52..

If you're not familiar this is a semi auto target pistol which shoots only 38 special mid range WC ammo with the bullet driving band seated flush with the case mouth. It holds 5 rounds and is really a nice shooting handgun.

I read somewhere that Lyman or Ideal once made a mould especially for this pistol, I think the top cannelure grove is supposed to be missing as you can't use it to roll crimp the case mouth into and expect it to feed. Does anyone know about this and if this mould is worth looking for?

I've been looking at several moulds, H&G 50, a couple Lymans, Lee 6 cavity.. I bid on a Saeco and got outbid on fleabay at last minute... These all have cannelure grooves. Should I be looking at these or something else, or spring for a HBWC mould?

Also interested in sizing...I've heard that sometimes these pistols like .357 over .358... All I have is a .359 for a revolver..

I do know that my gun really doesn't like the Remington swaged 148 gr HBWC which measures out at .360 however it is really happy with Hornady swaged which mike .358 albeit with no lube grooves, just a knurled surface...

Advice appreciated...

///Gene
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Although I have since switched to a Lee 358-125 rf mold for target 38sp in my S&W's for the most part, I had good luck with the Lee 358-148 WC although the TL358-148 WC which I use works just as well imho. It also has the advantage of being able to seat and taper crimp any depth you want for experimenting.

Lee makes a taper crimp die for the 357Mag.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I use the H&G #50 flat base run through a .358" SAECO die, though the bullets come out at .3575", ww alloy. Tried smaller & larger diameters and they were slightly less accurate.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    in both my 52 and P240 I use the H&G 50 feeds well if seated flush and roll crimped

Boolit Grand Master

H&G made lots of molds in this style with different diameters. They are pretty common on Ebay and are cheaper than most of their other molds. H&G and the M-52 were synonymous with Bullseye shooting back in the day. It might be worth a look.