RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's a pistol ?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

What's a pistol ?

I went to a shoot where a "new" game was introduced . A 2 gun companion shoot the rules are pretty simple . A rifle and a pistol and 1 box of ammo on an 11" scored target at 25 yd 5 shots from each . In the spirit of the 1 cartridge cowboy/settler .
    Examples .
    45 ACP in a 1911 and a 945 High Point
    45 Colts in a Henry or 92 and some revolver .
    For those into overkill ,
    A BFR and a 1895 in 45-70
    An X frame 500 Smith and a Handy rifle
    A Grizzly 9mm Mag and a custom AR or rebarreled MPV
    We even let a 20ga with a chamber insert and a M19 play
    I just felt like it needed a line at a Super 14 30-30 on an Encore and a 16" Encore with a butt stock .

I guess that would make me a jerk if I said " go ahead use the Buntline and the 94'" . But in reality the Contender guy could take his 30-30 or 17 hornet or 500 Smith 16" bbl and slap it on the pistol grip frame shoot the first 5 then Chang the frame or grip to the butt stock and shoot the other 5 shots .
    I suppose it could have a 2 min clock .
    It should in all fairness I guess exclude Mares legs and an AR with a rifle and separate pistol lower as well .

So if it were your 2 gun , 1 cartridge , 1 hand gun ,1 rifle , where would you call the line ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    I would use tge ATF definition
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I've been told a revolver is not a pistol. A pistol has a chamber that holds one round, a revolver has a cylinder that usually holds more than one round. Again, that's what I've been taught. Please don't take this as a beratement.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would limit the daylights out of things--if for no other reason than to keep the gamesmanship enthusiasts at a respectful distance. The intensity of my dislike for that mindset is boundless.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I've been told a revolver is not a pistol. A pistol has a chamber that holds one round, a revolver has a cylinder that usually holds more than one round. Again, that's what I've been taught. Please don't take this as a beratement.
    I've heard this definition before as well when discussing pistol vs handgun vs revolver vs etc.

If it was in the spirit of the early cowboy using one caliber for both rifle and handgun, then I'd limit it to the following:

.22 LR
    .32-20
    .38 Special
    .38-40
    .44 Special
    .44-40
    and I'd let them shoot .45 Colt, too, even though there weren't any Model 66's, 73's, 92's or 94's chambered in that round until recently, due to the almost non-existent rim and no extractor groove. The extractor groove enabled rifles to finally work with the .45 Colt.

I might let them shoot a few other calibers, but they would have to have roots somewhere in the cowboy realm.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Why did they close the public range south of Hawthorne???
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

PS: Why did they close the public range south of Hawthorne???
    It's the glorious story of some goobermental staff doo gooder that was a big fat cry baby .......sorry what I meant was there were some concerns about potential runoff contamination coming from Army owned lands and a DNC supporting Commander .
    I really tried to be nice .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    A pistol is a handgun that has a single chamber integral with the rifled barrel.

But, in the context of the game, I think they mean revolver.

Truth be told as far as hand gun goes I can't count the number of times I've read I shot this one hole 100 yd group with (insert your favorite pistol cartridge) and I'm all man that is some dialed in .......... Oh it was in a Super 14 . There's just something about a fixed SBR being a pistol that just chaps my group shooting senses .

I guess it doesn't help being of the pre Contender mindset that a pistol is a pistol except when it's a revolver and while an RXP 100 is a hand gun it's neither a pistol nor a revolver even if it's 1 of the super rare varmint slayers with a magazine .

Don't get me started on the mag clip thing I will beat you with my clearly marked CLIP Savage removable box magazine .

Limons and limes I guess .

Boolit Master
    Limit to a minimum and a maximum cartridge OAL.
    And, straight wall only other than FACTORY offerings. I don't consider any of the old "-" cartridges a bottle neck.
    Leave the most minute itty bitty gray area and some one will come up with other somthing to bend the rules and ruin the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    It's the glorious story of some goobermental staff doo gooder that was a big fat cry baby .......sorry what I meant was there were some concerns about potential runoff contamination coming from Army owned lands and a DNC supporting Commander .
    I really tried to be nice .
    We figured it was something like that. We used to scrounge brass and fire off a few rounds there on our way to the SHOT Show in Vegas. What do they used for a "public Range" now?

As for the original question, I'd stick with revolvers and leveraction rifles that fire the same caliber and call it good.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The other 8 million acres of desert .

So straight wall of cal 24-50 1.75" or less in a rifle and pistol of same and of repeating design other than gas operated ?

I didn't put to much thought into​ it . It worked out though and I think it will probably fly in the future as well .

Sounds like a good game. Curious is the 1.75" Case Length or Loaded Cartridge OAL?

Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    colt called his guns pistols. even advertised them as such. same for a double action an a single action. it is one or the other not a da and sa.

I guess that should say 1.75" maximum case length .

Boolit Master

revolvers were pistols long before most of what today is called a pistol were even dreamed up.

Boolit Grand Master

What's a pistol ?

This seems pretty simple. A pistol caliber lever action and a corresponding revolver. This would eliminate a whole bunch of weird combinations. In my reality you'd be shooting a Winchester or Marlin rifle along w/ a S&W, Ruger or Colt revolver.

Boolit Master
    A handgun has 2 distinctions. A pistol and a revolver. Pistols cover derringers and single shots as well.

As for the "line", I would use ATF as a guideline for definition.

Banned

Sounds like a neat and quick shooting match. If I was going for score, I would use a .22 rifle and pistol.

For pure fun, it would be my Marlin 444 Outfitter paired with either my BFR, or Lone Eagle Pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast