Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Increasing Terminal Performance on a 30wcf.

Boolit Master

Increasing Terminal Performance on a 30wcf.

We all know its suggested to use Flat Point bullets in tube feed firearms.

Have been toying with 170 gr. Flat Point cast drilled to resemble F-P HP tips. And done so with different size drill bits. Have noticed on more then one occasion using such home made cast made of (CO/WW) either the rifles recoil or their loading and reloading Tip-to-cartridge-base under spring pressure either or both situations seem to be the culprit distorting my boolits H.P. tips.

It's kind of a not knowing the cast Tips condition while hunting and shooting. That. Makes me wonder if those distorted H.P. Tipped boolits will end up at >my<preferred point of aim and maintaining the performance I was expecting from H.P. use. S~o

Is there some-other-way/ besides HP'ing a boolits Tip that will show similar down range expansion on thin skin animals where CO/WW is the cast material chosen because of its reputation for ideal Flat Point or H.P. expansion purposes?

thanks,

Maybe you can get away without a hollow point...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-in-the-world
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A flat point of 0.6-0.7 of bullet diameter in suitable alloy such as 96-2-2 Pb-Sb-Sn will give classic mushroom expansion with deep penetration and 80-85% weight retention at .30-30 velocities.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

They will still hit a clay pigeon at any reasonable cast bullet range.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

soft alloy, large flat tip and moderate velocity seemed to work for me.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    These are a 200 gr 1 off that might be described as cutting 30 gr off the base of a NOE 311-230 .
    They were cast of 75/25 WW/1-20 they ended up at 195-197 gr and up to .630 with a MV right at 1700 fps . These were taken from a wet powder clay bank at 100 yd impact speed estimates at 1400 fps . They started out 1.14 inches long and we're about 3/10s tall base to dome .

Attachment 197191
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    96-2-2 is a 40 to 1 mix or 8 BHN so I believe.
    That some mighty soft shoot'in lead there partner. Especially at G/c cast rifle speed. Here I was worried about 12 BHN Tips deforming in my rifles mag tube. (after some thought) No matter. To soft or not. I only require one shot per animal~~ paper or ~~clay targets.

"Maybe you can get away without a hollow point."
    The deer in the link in my estimation was a good example of poor aiming. In front or at the shoulder never turns out well for thin skin quarry.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    1:40, 1:30 BOTH WORK.

No leading issues with 4064, RL15 or Varget and 50-50 Alox-beeswax.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    That some mighty soft shoot'in lead there partner. Especially at G/c cast rifle speed. Here I was worried about 12 BHN

40 to 1 Pb - Sn is 2.5% tin and zero Sb, ..... and I agree, that is soft. But, the above 96-2-2 is not even close to 40-1.

96% Pb, 2% Sn, 2% Sb = is about 13 -14 BHN in my experience.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Run 'er as a two shooter. Also, try a small v-shaped cup point with a pocket knife rather than sinking in with a drill bit. A drill bit leaves thin, nearly parallel walls that deform easily. Any impact over 1300 fps, a shallow cup point usually opens up. From my experience with 357 rifle, you only need a drill bit at impact velocities under 1300 fps.

Boolit Master

Studies have shown a messed up tip of a bullet does not hurt the grouping much. A messed up base will do that.

Check your load for problems other than the tip.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    That some mighty soft shoot'in lead there partner. Especially at G/c cast rifle speed. Here I was worried about 12 BHN Tips deforming in my rifles mag tube. (after some thought) No matter. To soft or not. I only require one shot per animal~~ paper or ~~clay targets.

"Maybe you can get away without a hollow point."
    The deer in the link in my estimation was a good example of poor aiming. In front or at the shoulder never turns out well for thin skin quarry.
    I I papered this bullet up to .317 for an SKS but shot it as cast PB in an 06' both at about 1700 fps . The bullet design was poor and the twist too fast in both to go any faster . The SKS was case capacity limited of course but the 06' just has too much twist , a special order rifle I suspect .
    Yes still a pretty soft bullet .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Studies have shown a messed up tip of a bullet does not hurt the grouping much. A messed up base will do that.

Check your load for problems other than the tip.
    This. I've shot lots of ugly tip bullets into small groups.

Boolit Master
    I use an automatic Center punch to dimple the center of the flat point bullet. I then drill with a 1/8" bit, 3/8" deep. Plenty of metal left, accuracy is actually slightly improved.
    I use w/w-50/50 pure lead, no tip damage in magazine.
    I only hp-10 or so rounds for hunting.
    I also do this for .338ME and.35Rem. I was afraid that the Lee .338" 220gr RNGC from the .338ME might not expand. With the hp, I got excellent expansion and a 1" exit wound on a chest/heart shot on a ~150lb whitetail. Indistinguishable from factory 200gr FTX.
    Ditto the .35Rem. I no longer shoot jacketed from the .35. It's my favorite deer/hog getter, still. Even better now with the RCBS 200gr FNGC (218gr!). 39.0gr BLC2 @ 2,050. <2" at 100yds, 5-shots.

With the .30/30, I use the Lee .309 (.311") 150gr FNGC ((158gr) over 32.0gr of RL15 for 2,150fps. Also very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Years ago when my Father Guided some here in Northern MN {deer & Black bear} when farming was slow do to seasonal change. He and many other old timers would 4-way slice their bullet tips {cast & jacketed} so to enhance their bullets expansion upon impact.{or so it was thought} I suspect that bullet trickery is now a long forgotten technique.

I wanting to shoot a lower BHN factor near a 8. I haven't as of yet found a way to keep 4-5 cartridges in the tube from distorting one or more HP bullet tips. By distortion I mean the HP bullets tips resemble a glancing blow kind of look. I've been wondering if Powder Coating might be the answer to that tip damaging disappointment?~~ or~~ could such a coating inhibit a HPs immediate expansion?

Flat point .30 bullet cast of wheel weight metal is sure enough deer medicine. 31141 at 1600 fps is deadly to 100-150 yards.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Boolit Grand Master

I've killed many deer with the Lyman 311041 HP bullet with the HP stem shortened to give a 3/16" deep HP. I cast them of 16-1 alloy or COWWs + 2% tin them mix 50/50 with lead. I drive them 1950 - 2200 fps depending on carbine or rifle M94. They are deadly on deer to 200 yards (just my personal max range with cast). The Forster 1/8" HP tool is also used on many different RN and FP cast bullets from 7mm up through .375 with a 3/16" deep HP when cast of similar alloys. Here's the RCBS 35-200-FN loaded to 2150 fps out of a 35 Rem with the Forster, HP'd with the Forster and used a nice little Texas white tail.

Attachment 198301Attachment 198302Attachment 198303

The 311041 HP'd performs and gives the exact same terminal performance. The bullet noses do not collapse or get too beat up in the mag tube.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    After reading all the comments and Larry Gibson's comment too >1/8" drilling. I then went to the Forester site and became aware almost immediately in its reading what may be the disappointment in my HP making.

I use a machine shop size drill press and viced bullet jig to make my H.P. tips. "Stupid is as stupid does."_ My use of LARGER drill bits than what is suggested >1/8" without a doubt create a dandy larger HP cavity. Although in turn leaves its bullets nose structurally less lead and supporting "I'm speculating." to ward off recoil blows and spring tension pressure. WoW!!

I knew you fellows would help me figure out the problem with my 30-30 HP collapsing's. "Way to go gents!"