Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: clear powder coat

Boolit Buddy

clear powder coat

what is a good clear powder coat to use on my boolits ?

I've been reading about "smokes clear"
    can anyone post a link for me, as i can't seem to find it using google
    thanks
    john

Boolit Master

Look in the vendor section, smoke4320 he sells powder and there are photos of boolits in all the colors

Boolit Master

I use the 200% gloss from Rosey's. However he's out of it now.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I have the Clear from Smoke4320 and have had good luck with it. I like that it goes on white so that you can see that it is covered and turns clear when you bake it.

I'm A Honcho!
    I only coat in clear these days. If you're only looking at the function of the powdercoat for lube for bullets it's hard to beat clear. Eastwood coats and flowsout like glass even when piled in a basket. Goes on white and I go 450 until clear then another 15 minutes at 400.
    Last edited by bluejay75; 06-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

I thought about clear but the colors are a big part of my enjoyment of PC
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Easiest coverage using ''shake and bake'' is what gives me the most enjoyment. Hence clear coat. Goes on white and is the easiest for me to gauge even and complete coverage. And I have grown to actually prefer over the other colors. However I do sort of like the blues for Smoke. Just not as much as clear.

Mike

I've been coating with Smokes clear for the first time today. I suspect that I'll end up doing 99% of future bullets clear. I'm very much a function over form kinda guy, and so far this is the most effective paint I've used with tumble method. The Georgia air is thick enough to drink with a straw right now, and it still coats perfectly even.

I get very good coverage with the Eastwood clear powder coat and I like to add just a touch of blue or green in so old eyes can tell at a glance that the bullets are in fact coated. Good looking bullets to boot. Gp

Howdy all,
    I'm kinda new to the powder coating thing a learning with each "batch". Like a lot of guys my first attempt was with Harbor Freight red. Not the best choice for a newbie, in this camp anyway. Splotchy, with the shake and bake method, took two coats for a good job. Then I discovered "smokes", JD Green was the first one. wow, wow, WOW!!! My NOE 312299 boolits for the Russian looked absolutely grand. Shot better I believe.
    Now, what do i do with the can of Harbor Freight red, "smokes" clear to the rescue, equal amounts of HB red and "Smokes" clear shake like a madman for 3 to 4 minutes, looks pink, bake at 410 degrees for 20 minutes, let cool, they look a marbled red but completely coated. Really strange looking 32-20 and 30-30 boolits. Just my fix for HB red. I'v used the clear on my .358 pistol boolits for my revolver and been really happy with coverage and the cleanliness.

Vendor Sponsor

pics or it didn't happen
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I blend clear with a old can of HF red I’m trying to use up. I refer to my custom color as “Pink Mist”.

Boolit Mold
    I tried some clear. It came from a place called liquid powder concepts that appears to be out of business now. Oddly it calls for only 10 mins in the oven. It seemed to coat and stick well, but left lead in my barrels, both rifle and pistol. I'm going to try to give the remaining bullets I have a 2nd coat, and next time mix it with some color, or just plan for 2 coats from the start.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lrshooter12 View Post
    I tried some clear. It came from a place called liquid powder concepts that appears to be out of business now. Oddly it calls for only 10 mins in the oven. It seemed to coat and stick well, but left lead in my barrels, both rifle and pistol. I'm going to try to give the remaining bullets I have a 2nd coat, and next time mix it with some color, or just plan for 2 coats from the start.
    Welcome to the madness! I’d try baking it at 400 for 20 minutes and see how that works. If no better, just ditch it and try a proven powder. There are so many that work well, it’s not worth fussing with one that gives you problems.

Boolit Master
    I started with some HF White. Not good, but, it got me hooked on the concept.

Then, after suggestions in here, got a lb of Eastwood Ford Light Blue. Wonderful stuff.

So, then bought a lb of red and clear from Smoke. Really good stuff. I was kinda tired of the blue bullets so mixed some red with the blue and now can get a kinda bluish purple with red vein look (I'll take some pics).

The clear is really my favorite for the rifle. I don't sort any of my bullets ahead of time now. I cast, size, PC, and size. Then I weight sort. Turns out that any bullets passing the weight sort are good visually. The clear lets me see any other flaws.

Pistol bullets get the colored stuff. The wife likes her .45 bullets in red

So far the coloured clearcoats have been top performers for me