Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mould recommendations for 50 cal 1:28 twist

Perm-Banned
    please review your 500 yard shooting for us, i think i may have missed something. what kind of groups do you get at 500 yards again? i cant remember so help me please. the last time i read about it but may not be the latest post of yours but i saw where you kicked dirt up infront of the target, 12 feet in front of it.did you ever even make a group at 500 yards? you may be on to something. i gave the twist for the 2 barrels to be made and designed the bullet and hands sized groups are the result at 500 yards. please post your 500 yard groups for us. we would all enjoy looking at them. alot of money has been spent using my advice and i have had no complaints yet. when people spend 2500 dollars for a target gun they want results and they get it from me.

Perm-Banned
    oh yes, my custom side lock that shot a 720 grain bullet had very little recoil. a nice slip over pad made the gun very comfortable to shoot. recoil is all about angle of the stock to the barrel and bore size. recoil has never ever been a problem with the sidelocks ive built.

Perma-Banned
    You constantly talk about all of these RAGGED 1 HOLE Groups, 'so accurate its boring' etc. etc. etc. Where is it? You talk a MOUNTAIN, but have yet to show even a mole hill? I have tried the longer heavier bullets and my rifles have NOT shot them well, PERIOD! What am i doing wrong? How can i make them shoot these 1 RAGGED HOLES you CONSTANTLY speak of? How can i make my rifles 'so accurate they are boring' with your mathed out bullets? Please tell

Banned
    It takes a lot more than a bullet and what its wrapped up in to shoot extremely well. On my last kit gun, I had to adjust my sight position for my eyes to see the buckhorn and blade sights clearly. After that, it was bedding and then finding a proper load. We all have our good days and especially our bad days on the range.

Perma-Banned
    You know exactly where to find my 500 yard targets, everything is detailed in my thread. I have posted my success AND my failure! I just got done plowing dirt yesterday evening with a Stock 48" twist Renegade at 50 Yards, i could NOT get a single bullet on target at 50 yards? Why? I don't know why? I took my 1:32 twist 54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter out at daylight this morning and it shot the same bullet great for me.

I have spoke of MANY of my failures on this public forum for everyone to see, i tried it, it didn't work, and i told the truth about it! The same as my successful days

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    and especially our bad days on the range.
    The PP Champion above has never spoke of a bad day? Everything is dead on perfect, he shoots 1 ragged holes, his rifles are so accurate they are boring, etc. etc.

Banned
    That's because its a TC barrel! I gave up on them long ago. Out of all the TC's Ive had, only ONE was worth a damn. It was a darn nice shooting renegade that loaded nicely with everything from powerbelts to round balls. 90gr RS, .015" patch and a .490" round ball, she was a dream to shoot.

Every rifle on my wall right now is a Traditions Sidelock, either flint or percussion.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    That's because its a TC barrel! I gave up on them long ago. Out of all the TC's Ive had, only ONE was worth a damn. It was a darn nice shooting renegade that loaded nicely with everything from powerbelts to round balls. 90gr RS, .015" patch and a .490" round ball, she was a dream to shoot.

Every rifle on my wall right now is a Traditions Sidelock, either flint or percussion.
    I have had ZERO luck with Stock TC barrels, I've learned to hate them!

Perm-Banned
    i do not have to prove my self, i have a large following and only a few of them are cast boolit members. i will never ever get into a comparision match with you as i really have better things to do. you say i know where your tight group pictures are at 500 yards. that was a good way out of it. you use bombastic terms and feel that can over come what isnt really there. as to the .85 and .9 long bullet for the 45, i agree, the math agrees for a 1/28 twist. as for thompson barrel. shoot paperpatch in both the 1/48 twist 50 and 45 cal for 1 inch groups at 100 yards. sold both those barrel to a member here and had custom barrels made for those guns to shoot longer bullets. again please please keep this up, as the true always ends up coming out and im getting way more phone calls and business from your statements. got a shooter in iowa now spending a lot of money on my advice, same for a shooter in utah. same for a shooter in texas. another on in the near future on the upper east coast. they wont be disappointed as all the others before them were not. again i do not have to prove anything to you as bomabastic words rule here. i love George Bush, and i will quote him, if you tell a lie long enough and often enough people will start to believe it. God Bless george bush. he said it all.

Perma-Banned
    LOLOL! The .85 Lyman and .9 Lee S&W 500 are for our .50 Calibers, NOT .45! (Has the village called wanting their idiot back yet? LOL!) And your math states that you need a 1.2" bullet for a 1:28 twist, didn't you just say that in the starting of this thread? My question to you, WHY does our .50 Caliber 1:28 twist rifles shoot these little short S&W 500 and Lyman Plains bullets so well, when according to 'your math' they need a 1.2" bullet to shoot well??? I have tried those 1.2 bullets from BACO in my 1:28" twist .50 Cal and they turned out the absolute worst group i have ever shot with that rifle, The shorter bullets EAT THEM ALIVE!!
    Last edited by 54bore; 06-09-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    You know exactly where to find my 500 yard targets, everything is detailed in my thread. I have posted my success AND my failure! I just got done plowing dirt yesterday evening with a Stock 48" twist Renegade at 50 Yards, i could NOT get a single bullet on target at 50 yards? Why? I don't know why? I took my 1:32 twist 54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter out at daylight this morning and it shot the same bullet great for me.

I have spoke of MANY of my failures on this public forum for everyone to see, i tried it, it didn't work, and i told the truth about it! The same as my successful days
    I have a 45 GM barreled renegade it shoots the same bullet your do but I am happy shooting @ 200 yd, in my 50 cal I am likeing a 460 gr No excuse and a pp SW 50 bullet but I enjoy shooting a older TC 54 1x48 twist i like shooting it off hand . target or iron flop overs . I got it set up with round ball .530 like 54/54/54 54 cal, 54 grains black and sighted in @ 54 yards it not the best I know but it shoots better than me lol and not much recoil just like it off hand fun. and i am enjoying reading your post and what your doing and others to. keep it up ,for fun and whats working for you is all that maters

Perma-Banned
    Back to the OP, Get yourself a Lyman Plains bullet mold and .60 Vegetable fibre over powder wads, if you plan to Paper Patch I highly advise you read Idahoron's tutorial above. Ron is a great guy and a good personal friend of mine, He shoots the S&W 500 bullet VERY well paper patched. I ended up making a .492 sizing die from an old .448 that i ruined, i now am shooting the Lee S&W 500 bullet again, along with my Custom bullets i had Accurate Molds build to my specs.

Perma-Banned
    Here is the Lee S&W 500 bullet sized down to .492, again i re serviced an old .448 sizing die to .492 and i now size the Lee S&W 500 bullet to .492, then i paper patch them, my testing has been great so far. With the Lee S&W 500 sized down to .492 and patched up to bore, The papers turn to confetti and are found no farther than 6-8 feet from the gun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	197262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	197263
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	197264

Banned

Well, this went down hill quickly. I was away from it for a day or two and...

Back to the original question, get one of the Lyman Plains Bullet molds and be done with it. It has always shot well for me and I highly doubt you'll find an easier casting and better hunting bullet.

One thing I did learn from this thread was to try an over powder wad. Never have before, now I'm interested in how it improves things.

Boolit Master
    Me to , now to make some over powder cards .

Boolit Master
    Yep, I always had bad luck with bullets in ML until I tried the wads. First a lubed felt, then a veggie card, then veggie card and lubed felt (this idea came to me from one of the better long distance competition shooters).

FWIW, the supersonic thing existed back in the 1800's. Round ball and bullets. Keep in mind that supersonic is around 1200fps. Most of us are shooting at more than that by a bit. If it is not important then why does at least one of the long distance shooters say that it is important for 1000yd shooting?

Boolit Master
    Overstabilizing is a kind of different thing. An overstabilized bullet will not tumble. What happens is the nose does not follow the trajectory, ie, it remains 'nose up' through the flight. Artillery is carefully set up to avoid that since the shells need to hit nose first for impact fuses to work properly.

Boolit Master
    PS the Greenhilll formula was originally setup for velocities up to 2800fps. If you look through his papers it is intended for supersonic velocities.

I like using the Miller equation just because it has more data inserted instead of just relying on a constant to take care of everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12