Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington Rolling Block #5 1897 model

Boolit Buddy

Remington Rolling Block #5 1897 model

I have a Rem. RB #5 1897 that is missing one of the 2 screws in the rear sight. Is this some special thread screw or a standard? It is so shallow that I cannot put different taps in it to see if and when they match. I guess I could the trial and error method, but if someone knows it would save some time and digging. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably a special thread maybe 6x48. I've found gun screws at ace hardware....might not be where your at but it was really convenient when I needed screws for my 1894 winchester for arm end cap. It was made in 1895 so maybe you'll luck out.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks, I will try there tomorrow. The thread is not a real fine thread, almost looks like a 6 or 8 for size and thread is maybe 24. Of course, the one screw that is in the sight is buggered too. It is good enough to keep the sight on and the rifle has a wood piece on top with the hole cut out for the sight, so that too kind of keeps it in place even with one screw. It is longer than i thought too, it is maybe 3/8" long. If the threads weren't so buggered, I would try different dies to see if I could match the size and thread.

Boolit Buddy
    They had a bar in with the screws that has different gun screws threads. I took one in for on thing and bought the others I needed. Bought the bar for about $4 just to have at home. Plus I wasn't sure what length I needed so it worked great to hold screws while I ground down. Then when you back it out it cleans up the threads again.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Buddy
    Get one of these https://www.amazon.com/SAE-Inch-Scre...ds=screw+chekr, remove the existing screw, and measure what you have. If you're going to fool around with old guns, this thing is worth it's weight in gold. I've had mine for over 35 years, and have used it countless times. There's a metric version too, if you mess with European or Japanese (Miroku/Browning) stuff also.
    Last edited by John in PA; 06-17-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Buddy
    cool, except I know it is an 8, but it is not 28tpi, it is probably 25 or 26, not 24tpi either.

Super Moderator

...............Gotta remember that thread standardization is a relatively recent invention. IIRC about the turn of the 20th century the U.S. Government decided to try standardization, and then again in 1947, and so it continues to this day. The British started even earlier. The action screws for the 1903 Springfield are 1/4-27, and you won't find taps or dies at Home Depot

As a generalization most gun screws are fine thread, as they go into shallow blind holes or though thin metal sections. In addition fine threads make a more stable assembly. For an answer or a possible place for the correct screw I'd try: http://hardcastlecustommachine.com/
    as he specializes in old guns, especially Rem RB's.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Most of the screws on a rolling block will not be a standard size. Some of the sight screws were 8-28 but I think I have seen some that were a #9.

Well, you've probably figured it out by now, but for what it's worth, I got my No. 5 barrel out, found the sight also with only one screw, and the screw went into my screw checker in the 8-32 hole. Screwed it onto the barrel and everything fitted up tight.
    McLintock

Banned
    McLintock,

EXCELLENT.

yours, tex