Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: HBN Coating

HBN Coating

Was perusing a couple of sites and ran across HBN (Hex Boron Nitride) Coating. Seems there are some interesting benefits and they are using it in match shooting jacketed bullets with good results. David Tubb seems to like it along with selling it so that lends some credibility.

http://www.davidtubb.com/bn-boron-coating

So it appears this stuff is impact tumbled into the surface of the bullet. This got me to thinking that would work real well with a cast lead bullet. But I'm not sure if the lubrication would work with lead.

Some more reading...

www.chuckhawks.com/hbn_dry_lubricant.html
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

What about adding it in to powder coat... Thinking about trying that.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Shot many hBN coated 20 grainers in my 17HH and let me say that cleaning is a breeze.
    2 wet and 2 dry Q-tips through and the barrel is prestine after 100 shots.

I have tumbled lead bullets and shot many of those also and the result is the same, no fouling.
    I think it's a "waste" on slow bullets where it's prowess is somewhat moot.

hBN will eliminate CBS jump or at least reduce it to almost zero.

I dont coat all my rifle bullets, just the speed kings where fouling used to be a problem.

After coating, bullets are more slippery to handle than wet watermelon seeds.

Can you shoot unlubed/unpowdercoated lead tumbled in HBN?

Boolit Master
    I have coated a lot of 308 jacket bullets with HBN for 308 Win shot in bolt action rifle. The coating keeps the copper out of the barrel. Switch to HBN from Moly coating on the jacket bullets. Use the same stainless steel balls and tumbler for the HBN application. The same tumbler is used to clean the brass with the stainless steel pins and citric acid.
    The HBN coating is a good coating and the coated bullets are slippery to handle while reloading the cases.
    Have not tried the HBN on powder coated bullets, the powder coat seems to work well so that nothing else is needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Can you shoot unlubed/unpowdercoated lead tumbled in HBN?
    Yup.
    As long as the bullet fits the bore it is just another means of lubrication.

HBN is here now and available at reasonable prices. What I'm looking forward to trying is graphene. Engineers around Lansing are working with it as Michigan State University is working on uses.

In the mean time, Does anyone know if moly or HBN can be added to a powder coat material, at home?

Boolit Master
    It can be mixed in and emphasis on in.
    I dont think much of it will be exposed at the surface where it is needed.
    Why not try to tumble some PC'ed bullets in hBN and see if you can detect any difference.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    HBN is here now and available at reasonable prices. What I'm looking forward to trying is graphene. Engineers around Lansing are working with it as Michigan State University is working on uses.

In the mean time, Does anyone know if moly or HBN can be added to a powder coat material, at home?
    Sure you can mix it in. Will it stick? Maybe, maybe not. The question is why? The PC powders I use are plenty slick enough for everything I shoot.

Then as 17nut states, how are you going to make sure anything mixed in that sticks is going to come to the surface when you bake the boolits?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.