Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAECO Mould History

SAECO Mould History

Does anyone have any history of SAECO moulds and/or the company (Santa Anita Engineering COmpany?) ?
    Many years ago (probably 20 or more) I bought two 45 cal moulds from one Paul Fitz Jones, who he represented himself to be elderly and was the West Coast Distributor of Star Reloading products. He was dying of cancer and was clearing out everything he owned.
    These moulds were supposedly among many that a special run was made for just him by SAECO, with meehanite alloy steel blocks and special rosewood handles. They are quite nice, and I have only tested one of them. They are the 230gr bb GI Ball profile and a H&G #68 bb copy.
    These 4 cavity moulds are pretty hefty and they are clearly very high quality moulds. I have the original red and white boxes (marked Carpinteria CA with the original SAECO logo) and the original wrapping.
    I would like to get some data on the ORIGINAL SAECO Company if anyone has it.
    I can't find out much with Google
    Thanks!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 06-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I can't help you with information about SAECO, but I remember the offers of various molds by Paul Fitz Jones. I would have liked to have acquired certain ones but couldn't afford them at the time.

At that time too, there weren't the custom mold makers that we have today. There were a few but most were somewhat specialized. NEI was the only one that was somewhat generalized in his catalog. It was a sad day for casting when he passed away.
    John
    W.TN

john:
    Thanks for the info.
    Anything you have, even about Paul Fitz Jones, would be helpful.
    Paul was a character to say the least.
    I paid way too much for these moulds at the time but I actually believed his story about SAECO doing a special run of moulds for him. These moulds, with rosewood handles are beautiful works.
    I called Redding today and they are putting together some info from the purchase of SAECO.
    I think I smell an article forming here.....that's more fun than working!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

I am checking with the Carpinteria Historical Museum. They have archives of old newspaper articles that MIGHT have info on early days of SAECO. Plus with what comes from Redding it might make for an article.
    Sure beats working for a living. That's the problem with ADD....I get focused on something that interests me and I eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    NEI was the only one that was somewhat generalized in his catalog. It was a sad day for casting when he passed away.
    Walt was an interesting guy & a joy to speak with.

I am fuzzy on the dates etc. etc., but SAECO bought out Cramer and continued to produce Cramer design bullet molds marketed as SAECO/Cramer. I bought on of their molds in 1966 which was the #11 a 38/357 PB SWC. I still have it and it is my go to mold for that caliber.

After a period of time SAECO dropped the Cramer name and bought out bullet molds of their own design. They are still in business and produce very good molds.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    A good several page story about Paul Jones in the spring 2014 #85 issue of black powder cartridge magazine.
    In later years Paul would only make one mould per day and might call and talk for half an hour to make sure what I wanted. He would always say I can only guarantee .0005 in that alloy mix. His moulds dropped bullets that look like jewels.

Boolit Master

I've acquired a few SAECO molds over the years and, if all weren't SCs, there's no doubt I'd retire some Lyman DCs. Quality of these 'old' molds easily equals or betters anything that comes in an "orange" or "green" box today.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    A good several page story about Paul Jones in the spring 2014 #85 issue of black powder cartridge magazine.
    In later years Paul would only make one mould per day and might call and talk for half an hour to make sure what I wanted. He would always say I can only guarantee .0005 in that alloy mix. His moulds dropped bullets that look like jewels.
    Any idea how to get a copy of that?
    It might contain some useful info.

Boolit Master
    Check with spg-black powder for the older magazines. phone 660 988 40 nine nine

I swallowed his line...deep. I bought a Star sizer from him and two moulds, I huge 6 hole 50 cal maxiball mould and a GI type 6 hole 45 mould. Both were excellent moulds.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

A Quote from Paul himself

Saeco bullet lubes

Turk, I was the distributor for the Saeco company founded by Bob Modisette in 1947 and I represented him in the 1970s until his death in 1978. Bobs daughter took over and I stayed on until she sold the company to a fellow that started cheapening the quality so I quit in 1979. HW lasted for 2 years and the company then sold to Redding company who is also making a cheaper quality product.

My founding California Saeco Company only sold one highly successful bullet lube the Saeco "Green" Lube which I wholeheartedly sold. I have quite a collection of the bullet lube formulas used by decades of top competitors and the California Saeco Secret green formula was the best.

I have had no contact with the current 4th company with the Saeco name and have no idea of the formulations and usefullness of their bullet lubricants.

Unfortunately many of the quality materials used in bulletcasting tools and lubricant formulas up to 1980 and the sales of the companies at the death or retirement of the founders are considered too expensive to be used in todays market where "Made on the Cheap" is a current motto.

It is an unfortunate fact that buying a famous name does not insure for very long the same quality the original name was known for.

Paul Jones
    I plan on compiling a Bulletcasting booklet this winter along with a
    Star Reloader operation manual

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    I swallowed his line...deep. I bought a Star sizer from him and two moulds, I huge 6 hole 50 cal maxiball mould and a GI type 6 hole 45 mould. Both were excellent moulds.
    R J Talley

The current Saeco molds are second best to the originals in my collection as the originals used Meehanite Cast Iron that is too expensive for current mold makers today and the metal is mainly used for the bases or foundations of computer controlled CNC machines. Also Bob did the unheard proceedure of sending his molds to a space age machine shop to have the mold tops perfectly mated to the sprue bottoms by "Blanchard Grinding" and the current company only uses a spring washer to hold the sprue down..

The original molds made the most identical weight bullets ever made that have won the most matches since 1947 of any molds and the originals are multi lifetime molds. Every one of the thousands of molds I sold decades ago are still in use. They can be recognized by having no name stamped on them other than the mold number on the sprue and with patterned gunstock walnut mold handles in a white California Saeco address box in old timers reloading rooms.
    I can identify which company made any Saeco name mold if asked and their quality. Any mold made over 4 cavities with the Saeco name is Junk.

The current younger generation does not know the difference as current products are made "On The Cheap to still sell at high prices.

Paul Jones
    Retired and Loving It
    http://www.topica.com/lists/BulletcastersBulletin Board
    R J Talley

More from Paul...

Judging Copies

You cannot judge what you have not seen.

With having in your hands a founders California Saeco Mold and a Redding Saeco copy comparing the sprues visually and opening and closing the sprues makes the difference very obvious. Also checking the resulting bullets for identical weights.

The Calif Saeco Powder measure micro setting drums are honed to a mirror finish and ground to an accuracy of .0003 and the measure body to accept an "X"grade plug gage. And was made for extreme accuracy for competitors.

Comparing an original Star Luber that has never needed gaskets with the aluminium copy that needs and eats gaskets is also obvious. Compare the weight of the original with the aluminum copy. Ask a commercial bulletcaster that has both.

The originals are excellent and collectible now. Years from now the The copies won't be.

Men swear by what they have and can afford.
    John Paul
    R J Talley

A final word on Star machines from both Mr. Waters and Mr. Jones...
    Kenneth L. Walters:
    During his lifetime, from when he designed the machine, until he got too old to build them anymore, all Star's were assembled by Ellord Mott. As long as Ellord did the work they performed flawlessly. When he got too old no one else knew how to do the assembly (it wasn't as easy as it might have looked) so qualify fell off FAST. Maybe Star only sold two machines their last year but if so it was only because Ellord was gone.

Certainly the company failed to modernize. I talked to Ellord at his workbench which he build in the 20's. Still they flourished as long as he made the machines.

It seems sad to me that the greatest progressive ever had such an unwarrented death.
    Paul Jones:
    I have been ill so have not said much lately but I retired in 1979 with several dozen each of the reloaders and the lubers that are now gone and I have three personal Stars left a .38 progressive in excellent condition and two .45acp Universals. I have 8 new heads, A new die set for .30M1 carbine, .38 and .45 double Lifetyme carbide ring sizing dies and hundreds of small parts. New operating handles, primer magazines, seating dies, taper crimp dies, nuts, springs and am reserving my replacement primer parts kits to sell with my remaining loaders to give millons round lifetimes. Have new heavy duty foot long powder reservoir tubes, bundles of 6 3 foot case feeding tubes to fit in C-H rotating case clusters that can be adapted to fit on a Star with a piece of electrical conduit as my Star models are sold. Swivel handles, Star Luber dies, 3 of my personal lubers left.

Lifetyme .45acp 7/8ths carbide dies

Oh everything mentioned is original and NEW with the exception of my own 3 Stars that I reconditioned as the Star Reloader Reconditioning Center and Ira Wilkerson referred customers to me. Rob his son in the 70's could not hold down any job so hung around Star hoping to replace his dad when he retired. I was good friends with Ira and Rob was jealous of me so I refused to have anything to do with Rob after 1979. Ira was a great manager and person.

lots of BE, WW231 and 700X powder slides O and OO and half inch and 5/8ths inch powder magazine base spacers for larger slides. have original Star catalogs and can make copies of all Star literature I received as the top Star dealer in the 70's.

Also Have several dozen original Blue Booklets I wrote for the Star. "How To Live With And Love Your Progressive Reloader" printed for me by the C-H company and placed in the Auto Champ reloaders to keep their reloaders out of trouble with the Champ that I had a hand in designing. Have hundreds of auto champ parts and caliber conversions and for the C-H 333X and 444X presses.

Have 5 calibers 79 total remaining of the 965 original Saeco 4 cavity Custom precision molds I retired with and they are .30, .32, .38, .41 and .45acp.

Fitz Pistol Grips and Fitz lifetime slip top hunter Red ammo boxes that can be seen in old timers reloading rooms as they never wear out. 50 case capacity.

Also lots of Hulme top plates and no other Hulme parts remaining
    Have Brewster 1,000 capacity small primer turrets and dozens of clear primer pick up tubes, Indexers and extra Brewster powder reservoir tubes.

All new and Mint parts ask for lists while they remain
    Paul Fitz Jones coffeyn1 at castles.com
    PO Box 972 Vacaville Ca 95696-0972
    R J Talley

Thank you!
    More info.
    I am trying to find out about the early days of SAECO but this pleasant diversion onto Paul Fitz Jones brings back memories.
    He really WAS an old crank. I tried to get the price down a bit and boy you would think I had asked him to share his wife with me! I got the message very quickly and very clearly - the price was the price.
    I have two of those moulds still in their white California address boxes. I'll use them and keep all the original packing and boxes put away.
    I'll keep digging to see what else I can find from Redding. I am swapping emails with the Executive VP of Redding. He is doing some digging in their records also.
    Such fun we can have!....and thanks for the recollections.

The wrong guy

I think we are talking about two different Paul Joneses. The guy associated with SAECO was Paul Fitz Jones, he wasn't a mold maker, but he was an extraordinary salesman. He passed prior to 2014, closer to 2007 IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    R J Talley

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    I think we are talking about two different Paul Joneses. The guy associated with SAECO was Paul Fitz Jones, he wasn't a mold maker, but he was an extraordinary salesman. He passed prior to 2014, closer to 2007 IIRC
    I was talking about Paul Fitz Jones, and yes he WAS an extraordinary salesman. He did the Fitz Grips also. He was also a Star Distributor and also had something to do with the Carpenteria SAECO Company. I think he was a distribuor for their moulds also.
    He was (reportedly) in his 70's in the 1980's when I bought these moulds from him.
    Maybe sometimes he did not use his middle name ?

Boolit Master
    I agree that we are talking two different Paul Jones. A Paul Jones custom mould will bring a bonus at auction and he was tied in with Redding to some extent. He retired in 2014 if my memory is correct. His shop was on telegraph road LA CA.

Omgb
    did the Saeco powder measure look something like this. there is no adjustment for the powder just extra rotors for different powders.
    Rick
    Attachment 197478

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast