MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1874 Sharps 45-70 accuracy concerns

Boolit Master
    You are well on your way to accurate ammo. That load should be a blast to shoot since you get about 500 loads per pound. The recoil about like shooting a .410 shotgun.
    Pay attention to the wind and your groups will shrink because those bullets drift like a nerf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by shafer44 View Post
    well, lead cleaned out, powder change again, boolit change and finally......less than 2" at 100yds!!! I know, not that good, but for me it is when I started with a shotgun pattern. Today with NOE 460-350gr FN....PC'd, 14gr unique I shot a 1.57" group. Amazing that the PC'd bullets shoot so well and they do not lead the barrel. I had to seat them deeper though, they will not chamber the same as normal lubed bullets, the amount on the nose is enough to make me have to seat them deeper by 5 or 6 thousandths.
    Attachment 198080
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, yesterday was weird wind wise, as it was blowing straight towards me, maybe a little right to left, which makes sense as to where the boolits hit. I am still learning with the vernier sight. I started out with the first shot before this 5 shot group on another target going right in the center, then a little low and right, another low and right, so I decided to adjust my windage. I did not have my reading glasses with me and I turned the wheel the wrong way. Of course i hit more right, so I move it more , I shot probably 10 shots and then went to the truck for glasses. Well, I saw that I went the wrong way and then moved it back the other way. I don't know now if i moved it a little too far or if it was the wind. Oh, well, that is my best group with the Sharps, so next time I will maybe move it up an inch or 2. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Man, the more I shoot my Pedersoli Sharps, the more I like it. I am honed in now! I have started shooting a 457132 lyman, which casts 520gr with my alloy. I cast, powder coat and then size and lube with .459 sizing die and LSStuff 2500+, kind of overkill to keep from leading my barrel, but it works! Today, I finally hit the dinger at 500m after changing my loads last night to a little hotter load. I was shooting about 1175 fps and bumped it up to 1250 fps with 32.5gr of IMR 3031. That gun likes that load and the postell bullet!! When I got the first hit on the 500m dinger, I hit 4 more in a row before missing and ended up with 8 hits out of 11 shots. I feel like accuracy is no longer a problem for this rifle......only the ME part keeps it from hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by shafer44 View Post
    Man, the more I shoot my Pedersoli Sharps, the more I like it. I am honed in now! I have started shooting a 457132 lyman, which casts 520gr with my alloy. I cast, powder coat and then size and lube with .459 sizing die and LSStuff 2500+, kind of overkill to keep from leading my barrel, but it works! Today, I finally hit the dinger at 500m after changing my loads last night to a little hotter load. I was shooting about 1175 fps and bumped it up to 1250 fps with 32.5gr of IMR 3031. That gun likes that load and the postell bullet!! When I got the first hit on the 500m dinger, I hit 4 more in a row before missing and ended up with 8 hits out of 11 shots. I feel like accuracy is no longer a problem for this rifle......only the ME part keeps it from hitting.
    Your 32.5gr of IMR3031 using a 500gr cast RN is was recommended for me to use in my 34" Shiloh Sharps ! in 1992 and have never changed that Load!! Over
    800yds on a Buffalo Gong a the Quigle Shoot !!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123