RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new to me Model 57

Boolit Buddy

My new to me Model 57

Probably my last big bore. My old hands can't handel them any more but I could not pass it up. Had original box and all of the paper work. Also, that S&W waxed paper.

Boolit Master
    Nice. I've had a few of them I wish I hadn't traded off. They are getting harder to find. I have kept my model 58, I'll never get rid of that one. The .41s are a lot of fun to shoot with lighter loads. Full magnums aren't too bad in a Ruger Bilsey I have but almost brutal in the model 58.

I like the pinned-barrel guns.

Boolit Grand Master

SWEET ! Nice score !

I'm in the process of working up some light loads with the Lee 195 gr. SWC and Noe 215 gr. WC for the reduced recoil factor myself. Don't need full tilt magnums for target work .
    Mines just a model 58 from 1969 . Thats it in my avatar.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Just a Model 58!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would die for one.

Boolit Master

Very nice.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

S&W 41 Magnums

I regret trading my 6" Model 57 off. It was as accurate as any revolver that I've ever owned.

Love the grips on your Model 57.

I currently still have my service Model 58. I've always just duplicated our police issue ammo for it. 210 grain RCBS SWC over 8 grains of Unique for about 900 fps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W Mod 58 2-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Groo hrtr
    Art,,,
    You will find the 41 will allow you to shoot magnums easier than the 44.
    The kick is different.
    Also , as the 41 is a newer round the guns tend to be tighter in specs.
    And it is hard to find a load that won't shoot in the 41.......

Boolit Master

I like it too.

Boolit Master
    I have a few .44 mag S&W revolvers I'd like to trade for another 57. I just liked the 57 a lot more than the 629s I replaced it with. Live and learn! I also have a 5 1/2" Redhawk in .41 that I like a lot but when comparing it to a S&W 57 it's like comparing a pickup truck to a Corvette..
    Last edited by arlon; 06-06-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Except for the grips, it looks just like my old duty gun. Mine still wears the Pachmayr grips it had on it while I carried it. All you need now is a front break Hoyt holster, one of the finest duty holsters ever made...

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Nice n frame love the combat grips dose it have the wooden box

I like the 6" 57 but naturally that's one of the ones I traded off. I kinda got away from 41s and got
    into 44sp & M25-2 45acp- target shooting. I have only one 57 left and I will probably trade it off
    at some point. A Nickel 83/8" NIB with all the goodies. Don't want to shoot it and make a used
    gun out of it.Attachment 197095

My go to can rolling load for my 41mag is 7gr of TiteGroup under any of the common 41 bullets. I have NOE, Saeco and Lee moulds. The Noe is the 250gr WFP the other two 210 SWCs. Gp

Boolit Mold
    I picked up a pair of .41 Smiths in the last year, a model 57 8 3/8" last fall and recently a model 58. I am really loving these .41's. Have been shooting a Rim Rock 240gr. SWC FB over 8.5gr. of Winchester WSF in both of them.

Boolit Buddy
    No wooden box. The blue cardboard with the metal corner protectors. Very decent shape.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the '70s I went through a caouple M57s; 4 and 6" and a M58 along with a couple M29 in 44 Magnum and M27/28s in 357 magnum. Given my smaller hands I never found any grip that fit, especially for DA firing. Magnum loads, even 357 magnums, put the hurt to my hand. I ended up selling all them. Since I've found the large frame Colt Anaconda fits my hand and I can shoot it DA just fine. But alas the .44 is not the topic here so back to topic.

I had a Lee 410-195-SWC mould and it was my favorite bullet in the M58/M57 .41 Magnums. I cast them back then in old COWWs which had sufficient tin for excellent casting. They weighed out at 198 gr sized at .410 and lubed with Javelina. Comfortable loads for me to shoot the S&Ws SA were 5 gr Bullseye for a plinking/ target and small game load and 9 gr Unique for a "medium" powered LE equivalent load.

The 5 gr Bullseye load ran 750 fps from the 4" M58/57s and 810 fps from the 6" M57. The 9 gr Unique load ran 1060 fps from the 4 inchers and 1197 from the 6 incher. Accuracy was excellent with either load.

Sadly I let the Lee mould go with the M58 when I traded it off. I was out of the .41 magnum business for many years until '91 when I found a used (if you call 15 rounds out of the box of ammo bought with it "used") Ruger Bisley 41 Magnum. By then I was into multiple cavity moulds for my handguns. My original Lee had been a single cavity and in '91 the 410-195-SWC wasn't available in a 6 cavity (is it now?) so I got a 6 cavity TL410-210-SWC and it proved excellent. I also got a TL410-175-SWC for light indoor plinking rounds. Thus I haven't looked at the 410-195-SWC for some years.......perhaps a new look is in order as I found it to be an excellent 41 magnum bullet.....

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

All you need now is a front break Hoyt holster, one of the finest duty holsters ever made...
    Amen to that! Wore one my whole time on the force. Had one for my K Frame 357s as well as this one for my Model 58.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoyt Holster.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Yep, too bad they went out of business. The last time I talked to them, they tried to sell me the business, but the 6 employees didn't go with it..........

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Yep, too bad they went out of business. The last time I talked to them, they tried to sell me the business, but the 6 employees didn't go with it..........

Fred
    Yep, the big change over to semi-autos and synthetic leather put them out of business. You don't see much real leather of LEOs anymore... or revolvers either.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast