Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on HBWCs

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    This is about what I was thinking, I was going to turn a top punch- contoured to HB and size nose
    down. If necessary, never did HBWCs before. The last 30yrs have been into S&W revolvers only
    have two CF autos, the 52 and a Brn HP Comp - both target guns. I'm going to try the HBWC in
    the 9mm also if I have room for OAL of cartridge.

I shot a 110gr hbwc in the 9mm for awhile then switched to the lyman 35870 hb fn bullet. The 35870 was surprisingly accurate.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The 35870 is a long bullet but there's room for it in the 9mm cases. The 35870 next to a 125gr mihec bullet.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Mold
    I have a question about the 52 loads.. Do you all find there to be an advantage to using HB as opposed to plain based WCs? I am thinking about getting a mould to cast for my 52-2 and am trying to figure out what to get... I've shot mine a few rounds and have had really good luck with the Hornady swaged, Speer swaged also shoots ok, the Remington (which mikes like .360) throws patterns, not groups in my gun.. Load I settled on is 2.8 of bullseye, (2.7 is just not quite enough all the time for perfect cycling) I've tried other powders but never got as good a grouping... Thanks

///Gene

My 38 special guns are revolvers and seem to shoot any wadcutter well so I can't be of much help. In my experience, there wasn't much if any difference using hollow based wadcutters over solid wadcutters. That is why I sold my hollow based mold. It shot perfectly well but so did other boolits that were a bit simpler to cast.
    Bullseye is pretty much the standard for shooting wadcutters in a 52.

Boolit Grand Master

Test them both in your pistol let it tell you whats best. My 1911 38 spl shows a preference for the hollow based wad cutters. Flat base or double ended are good but at 50 yds the hollow base jumps ahead in accuracy. I don't cast them but the Hornady swaged and the Stars I still am hording really shine in my bar sto barrel. Ive still got around 5000 of the stars in the loading room and loaded for this pistol. In my revolvers the old Lyman 160 grn wad cutter shines. Test them in your pistol and see what it likes. The Hollow based are often loaded hotter than they need to be and flaired skirts or other issuesstart having an effect on these soft bullets.

Boolit Master

Never did see the difference between HB and PB wad cutters in my guns. Not worth the trouble of casting HB wad cutters IMO./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Do not laugh, I have a HBWC for 38, 44 and 45 Colt. Cast, powder coat and load them backwards. Expansion is something to see.
    These are 44 mag
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master

I've done the same in 357. It's a fairly common practice.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Do not laugh, I have a HBWC for 38, 44 and 45 Colt. Cast, powder coat and load them backwards. Expansion is something to see.
    These are 44 mag
    I have been looking for a hollow based wadcutter mold for my 45 Colt and my dad's 45 Auto rim, who is actually making one?

Boolit Master

MP molds made a run of HBWC molds a while back in 32, 38, 41, 44, and 45.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12