MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Restoring old and rusty bullet molds

Boolit Bub

Restoring old and rusty bullet molds

I was given some old Lyman / Ideal bullet molds by my granddad in a bunch of other reloading stuff (including thousands of 12ga wads and shotshell primers [8D][8D]) and thought these molds might be beyond saving. I called Lyman about them to see if they could refurbish the molds. As expected, they said they couldn't do anything due to the age of the molds. After a little googling, my google-fu turned up a few old posts on this forum saying that EvapoRust is the way to go, so for $11 shipped from Amazon I figured it was worth a shot. Here's what happened:

Here's what the molds looked like before I did anything to them:

Wadcutter mold:

Double cavity round ball mold and handles:

Single cavity round ball mold:

This is the EvapoRust, seems to be a totally "green" product. At this point I'm skeptical based on how gentle it seems. But then again, I'm not looking to etch the molds, just remove the rust.

I disassembled the molds and placed them in a tupperware container that I planned to throw out anyway. I poured in enough EvapoRust to cover the molds completely and placed the mold handles in so that the metal parts were submerged but the wood was not. I didn't take a picture of this, it's pretty self explanatory. I soaked the parts overnight, then gave them a scrub with a brass brush. The 89 cent version from Harbor Freight.

The molds looked surprisingly good, but the EvapoRust had turned a very dark and muddle brown/black. I thought I might as well give them another soak so I poured the used Evaporust down the drain, according to the packaging instructions, and let the parts soak overnight again in fresh EvapoRust.

Another once over with the brass brush and these molds look infinitely better than how they started off. There is slight pitting on the outside but the cavities look great, and I can actually read the stampings on the molds. I might have to get a black powder revolver now

[]

Boolit Master
    Well done! Cast some up and see how they turn out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I must say Good save , and well done the pictures really show the before and after .

The difference is impressive. Job well done.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to the molds or not, the WC mold I could load in my 44, but the round ball molds I'd have to pick up a new revolver... but then again I've wanted a black powder revolver for a while so this might justify that purchase

Boolit Grand Master

Looks nice....you saved them .
    Thanks for posting this , I've heard about Evapo-Rust but have never tried it. The other day while in Home Depot I saw a display of it. Now that I can get it locally and see how great it works , my next rust removal job will be with it instead of old school kerosene .

Never sell a mould, they don't eat no hay and you never know what gun you will pick up in the future. I've got moulds for guns I'll probably never ever own .....but who knows !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Excellent photos to be sure , very well laid out post !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Looks nice....you saved them .
    Never sell a mould, they don't eat no hay and you never know what gun you will pick up in the future. I've got moulds for guns I'll probably never ever own .....but who knows !
    Gary
    Nice job in cleaning those molds up. I agree with Gary, never sell a mold. If you have a mold with no gun to shoot with the Boolit, then you have an excuse to buy that gun!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Good save! And a good advertisement for that product!

Boolit Master

Well done and this has been entered into the back of my mind.......gosh I hope I can recall it when I need to.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Came out good.

Boolit Master
    Nice job. You sold me on Evapo-Rust. I am going to give it a try. Less than $7 for a quart on evilbay. And free shipping.

Have used Evapo-Rust a lot. Not on molds but on my presses, dies, and other steel gun parts that got flooded. Works great, and the used stuff that turns dark can be reused several times, it just takes a little longer to do. By the way. mason jars with lids work good for soaker tanks and the stuff will freeze.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Well done. I like the look of that .44 WC mold. Looks like it would be fun out of a .44 Special.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Bub
    one of my neighbors swears by that stuff. he buys alot of garage sale things and puts them in a vibrating cleaner. amazing what they look like after

Thank you!!! I'm a HUGE fan of old Ideal single cavity and two cavity molds.

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Lyman couldn't cut a mold like those if their life depended on it.

Great job.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Well done. I hope you enjoy them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Nice job in cleaning those molds up. I agree with Gary, never sell a mold. If you have a mold with no gun to shoot with the Boolit, then you have an excuse to buy that gun!
    I have used the same logic with ammo, dies and brass.

Back to the OP, this excellent post is very timely. I have a vintage Ideal 45 Colt mould to save.

Sticky material or near it anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    All I can say is "WOW!"
    If that isn't a convincing "before and after", then nothing ever will be! I would hope that I'll never have the need, but if I do I know what I'll be using. That is simply amazing. As others have already said, "Good save!"

Boolit Master

That 429348 is dropping some really nice boolits.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.