Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with citric acid

Boolit Master
    Hello all,
    First To those of you that offered helping suggestions I truly want to thank you. That goes double to those that offered replacement cases! The good news is that , after two days of a couple boilings, quite a few rinsing's, and finally individual cleaning with a lot of qtips, No More Jello in my cases! And yes it was gelatin! As you might have figured out I am not one to give up on a problem. I've always believed that when you screw up and make a mistake you darn sure need to take the time and effort to correct that mistake. It only helps to remind you what not to doin the future. I certainly could have given up, tossed them out and started over. That would not have taught me or anyone else a thing except how to quit when it gets tough. This situation was totally my fault. And it list high up on stupid bone head thing not to do. Oh well. You can bet I won't make the same mistake. On a side note if anyone wants to no how to turn your brass bullet case into jello molds I can certainly give you detailed instructions!
    Thanks again,
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Is the passivation just the surface finish Yes. It is a molecular layer to prevent further corrosion. Best comments I can find it's an etchant that removes corrosion.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Is the passivation just the surface finish Yes. It is a molecular layer to prevent further corrosion. Best comments I can find it's an etchant that removes corrosion.
    Thanks for the great answer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I came across multiple references to use detergent and not soap. This was typical.
    "mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dish washing detergent, one half cup distilled white vinegar and two cups of warm water"

The stuff you want in grocery store will come in a shaker like seasoning salt or garlic salt. You know the bottles with a shaker lid that one side flips open to pour and one side flips open with holes to shake out.

I once forgot some brass in citric acid, long enough it turned "red" of copper. Durn wife had me doing chores until my brain plumb forgot that plastic coffee can of brass, I also once (I know of) forgot to rinse brass. So I just went out and shot it all right up so I could start over

I soak with a small amount of citric acid to clean before tumble in corncob or walnut shells. Seems to do a good job and I have read that it helps prevent tarnishing. Want to try the wet tumble with SS pins for the inside the case and primer pocket cleaning. Also it seems that folks find really old cases in the shed and want me to have them, they tend to take a long time to polish back to sort of shine.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    The hard learned lessons tend to be remembered the most , good follow through and I'm glad it worked out for you . Your mistake may help another not make it .

Boolit Master

Personally here is what I do: Frankford Arsnel (yea I know) wet tumbler. Fill 2/3 with brass, fill to the neck with hot water, 1/2 tsp Lemi-Shine and "2-3" DROPS of Dawn. Close tumbler and run for 3hr. Brass is shiney shiney shiney when done and no detriment, pink spots, or goop
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master
    I've used citric acid with good results. I was just thinking that since it passivates, maybe I'll passivate the 200 pieces of Star .357 that just came in the mail .
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I've used citric acid with good results. I was just thinking that since it passivates, maybe I'll passivate the 200 pieces of Star .357 that just came in the mail .
    I understand citric acid reacts badly with .357 mag brass, especially Star. You better send that suspect brass to me for testing (at range) and assessment (at reloading press). Purely as a favor no need to pay me or anything. Just looking out for you.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    RogerDat, Roger...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123