MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bullet for k31

What are the case lengths for the k31. Just sized a bunch of once fired

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    madsenshooter, You jogged my memory about the die Joe made: It was indeed a die for a lube sizer, e.g., Ly. #450. I edited my post to reflect that.
    I think mine was the prototype Maven. He said he was going to buy a reamer after that.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

A fellow on this forum, name now forgotten sent me some samples of a bullet he designed for the K31 in an Accurate mould. The work wonderfully in the Swiss and some other .30 rifles in my batery. I use them paper patched or straight greased. Here is the bullet: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-185S-D.png[/URL]
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

The two K31s I had were very short throated. I gave up on cast in them because of the deep seating required. Milsurp 7.5 ammo was inexpensive then and I couldn't match it's accuracy with hand loads (hang head) so that's what I used.

Ok slugged the bore its .307. I took some Lee 312-160 bullets, gas checked and sized .309. Used 16 gr of 2400 and it shoots a 2"group at 50 and 3" at 100. Yes the bullets are seated deeply because of the leade being so short.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot both the lyman 311299 and the 311413 (the pointy 169 grain, may be off on the mold no) over h4895. both shoot as well as I can hold them, but the 311299 (heavier) seems to shoot a bit better at longer range. 555 yards is the longest I shoot the k31 at and it hits the 12x24 rams regularly if I do my part. I don't have too many rifles that can shoot a cast boolit accurately that far, but the k31 is definitely one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpointfive View Post
    Anybody run unique or have published cast bullet data to share
    The 7.5 and the 30-06 have basically the same case capacity and in my older Hogdon manual they list using the same data in both that's for jacketed bullets . The same would apply for cast . And yes I've used Unique under several mid weight cast bullets , 12 -14.5 grs worked well . As others have said numerous cast bullets shoot well in these rifles IF they aren't too big on the nose for your barrel mine would chamber a nose of .301 so a lot of my normal 30 cal bullets worked . Good luck

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

MY K-31's have not been picky at all about what bullets shoot best. But some of the contenders are:

NEI 308145

NOE K31-180

Bear in mind that most of these groups were shot in matches, and would group much, much smaller from the bench.

I also had good luck with the Lyman 311672, but didn't shoot it in any matches.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12