Titan ReloadingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 98 mauser shortened by 1.75" in 45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by colonelsanders View Post
    Video looks like it wants to be push feed - need to make it come up behind the claw so it's controlled round feed like Larry says.

Some links you may want to look at
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...er-Conversions

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...62x39-or-45acp

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...and-45-ACP-Kit

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Kit-revisited

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ACP-45-WM-kits
    Last edited by Artful; 06-08-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Artful, this is the thread with my instructions; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...er-Conversions

The trick is to tweak the extractor so the rim stays inside the "lips" of the bolt face as it feeds up under the extractor. If the rim gets push left in front of the lip on the left side the bullet will get cocked to the right. If not a RNFMJ or XTP type jacketed bullet it will jam into the extractor cut in the receiver ring. The rim of the cartridge must, during feeding, slip up under the extractor and be held in place against the bolt face by the extractor and lips. If so it will feed slicker than snot with any bullet style whether the bolt is thrown slow or fast. If the rim is not held in place feeding will not be reliable.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Man
    Reamer and gauges came in from Manson Precision. These three Items represent by far the largest cost of this project so far. Should be able to get it chambered this weekend get back onto the feeding issue next week (time allowing).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0609170919a.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Now this looks like a real fun project.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Man
    Took some time this evening to document my solution to the ultra short action firing pin spring assembly and binding issues. Hopefully this will help some folks with partially completed projects.

https://youtu.be/YhS1cR_GAl8

Boolit Master
    Brilliant solution! I just looked at some Wolff firing pin springs for Mausers, and the ends of the spring are closed. (this means that the last coil on the end of the spring is bent flat, so that the spring will seat flatly as it's being compressed) I didn't check, but I assume that factory Mauser springs also have closed ends. When you shortened your firing pin spring, you should still have one end that's closed. If you install the spring with the closed end pressing against the spring seat on the firing pin, the spring should not be able to work it's way back through the helix, even if it does rotate. I think your idea is a very good solution.

Boolit Man
    Made up a receiver mandrel to face the receiver ring. Now that the action is actually operable, its time to blueprint the action and get the rifle chambered. The first step is facing the receiver ring and that is now done. Next will be to square the locking lugs and face the bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0614172100b.jpg   0614172109.jpg   0614172112.jpg   0614172126.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

I also have a Rhineland Kit that is half done and on a hold until I have time and patience to make it feed.

Another way to go with this project is to make it a single shot by making a shoe/feed ramp to sit on top of the mag well.

The last 2 issues of Rifle Magazine have an article by Gil Sengal on converting a M93 Mauser to single shot .45 ACP. That is what he did.

I also have a Mauser ES340B .22 caliber single shot rifle. It feeds the round into the chamber by simply dropping a round into the open bolt and then closing the bolt. Doesn't matter it you do it fast or slow it feeds perfectly every single time and it is a controlled round feed just like the larger guns. Kimber stole the idea for one of their .22's and their bolt face looks identical to the Mauser. My gun was made in 1929 and is still in excellent condition as I have had it since 1968.

Making the magazine shoe requires cutting a tapered scallop which is heavy at the back and light in the front so that the cartridge stays angled up until well past the point of the bolt grabbing it. In other words it is completely under the extractor by the time the cartridge is all the way up the ramp.

The biggest problem with this conversion is getting it to feed. And the biggest reason is the length of the feed lips on the magazines. The cartridge is released just as it starts to go under the extractor and the tendency if the extractor misses the rim is for the nose of the cartridge to roll forward, then it is completely in front of the extractor and the bolt will not close.

The locking lug recesses are a @1/2" gap for the cartridge to fall into.

This is why the Enfield action is easier to get to run. There is no locking lug recess. the locking lugs are in the rear of the action.

Randy

Here's a pic of the open breech
    Attachment 198385

And a pic of the bolt face.
    Attachment 198386
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    A few years back I handled an M1903A3, in .45 ACP that looked to be a Springfield Arsenal build from 43 or 44 (the barrel was marked as such). Ran on stripper clips. Wish I'd had the foresight to document how it fed.

I ran maybe 10 rounds through it, really cool.

Very nice!
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Colonel,

On the subject of magazines. . .have you looked at actual GI 1911 magazines with the tapered (not stepped) feed lips? Checkmate is producing these new. These should do a better job of allowing the nose of the rounds to pivot upward as the extractor does its thing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

For the M98 to feed the stubby 45 ACP reliably the protrusion on the left side of the bolt face (opposite the extractor) is critical. Some M98 bolts do not have that protrusion and is why they are not recommended to use. Even if the rim of the case slips up under the extractor on feeding it the left side of the rim is not held in with the case head against the bolt face by that protrusion the round will cock to the right and jam.

Note how the protrusion (right side in pic) holds the rim/case head against the bolt face. It must do that as the round feeds out of the magazine or it will jam.

Attachment 199109Attachment 199110

Larry Gibson

The Oviedo 1916 (93 Mauser) has a pronounced bolt face protrusion that might help in the case of someone considering this project. Being a 98 man I was surprised to see this when I began my 30-30 project. Sarco has the 93 actions for sale.
    Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12