PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 mauser shortened by 1.75" in 45 ACP

Boolit Man

98 mauser shortened by 1.75" in 45 ACP

I got a hold of a badly pitted 98 mauser reciever about 13 years ago, and a full set of mauser parts from my dad.

Around this time I read an article on a 45 acp conversion by Rhineland arms.

http://www.troupsystems.com/mauser45kits.htm

Always seemed like when I had a few extra dollars the kits were out of stock.

I decided to remove enough length to eliminate the thumb notch and ended up cutting 1.75" out of the reciever.

I made all the cuts but didn't have a tig welder andbwas still going to college so the project just sat.

I picked up parts here and there as time went on.

The stock is a Boyds display stock to mount a scope to and at $15 the price was right to practice on.

The barrel was a green mountain special on sale 4 years ago.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/45-blan...k-17-5-x-1-25/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1422.jpg  

Boolit Man
    In the 12 years since I started I spent a lot of time and energy tooling up my garage shop to be able to make almost anything I like.

Major tools include a genuine bridgeport mill, 10 thread cutting lathe with a toolpost grinder, a surface grinder, rig welder and Oct acetylene torch set and full tooling (mostly to go with it).

At this point i felt pretty confident that I would be able to motor through and get this aged project complete.

I pulled out the reciever halves and decided to weld em up!

I will post pics and continue the thread when I sort out how to post the pics I took.......

Boolit Master

I love it
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Man
    The receiver halves were welded together using a TIG Welder with water flowing through the receiver ring locking lug area to prevent changing the temper. I used Brownells Nickel Steel welding rods. I need to go back and fill a few spots, but overall they are solid welds, and I am Happy with the results.

I mock assembled the action and was quite pleased with the look. On to welding up the bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0413171805.jpg   0413171805a.jpg   0413172115.jpg  

Boolit Man
    I made up a sleeve from a piece of hardware store brass pipe. This sleeve served two proposes. 1) I made the sleeve a tight fit to the ID of my bolt body to aid in the alignment. 2) Allowed me to flow water down the center of the bolt body to keep the locking lugs cool.

It worked out really well and other than some final filling and finish work I am happy with the result. At no time during the process was I unable to keep my hand on the front of the bolt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0517171949.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	197061

Name:	0517171949a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	197062

Name:	0517172006.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	197063

Name:	0517172119a_HDR.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	197064
    Last edited by colonelsanders; 06-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.

I have always wanted to do this, something about a stubby mauser action just makes sense... Great project.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Awesome.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I've always wanted to do this. Very interesting!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I love it
    Me, too!

Boolit Man
    Next up was fitting and contouring the barrel. The green mountain blank I purchased came in at about 1.26" OD and cleaned up to 1.25 quite nicely for the shank. Contouring the rest took a while and I made quite a pile of chips but I am happy with the result. It is a custom contour designed to please the most important person involved in this project (ME!!!!!).

11 degree target crown installed and thrown back on the receiver with my shop helper testing! Next up it to get it mounted into a stock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0520172326 (3).jpg   0522171837.jpg   0522172102.jpg   0523172133.jpg   0524172206.jpg  

0525171948.jpg   0525172004a.jpg   0525172004.jpg   0525172014a.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice! I bet your shop helper will get a lot of fun out of shooting it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Man
    Sunk the action into the wood, pretty happy with the outcome and handy feel, it was my first time doing an inlet so I absolutely make a lot of mistakes.......... didn't help that the stock was the wrong shape and needed some smoothing, but I am happy with the feel now.

I used in-letting guide screws, Gunline barrel in-letting tools and some chisels to do the finishing fitment and my mill to rough out most of the major sinking operations.

There was a time when I allowed the fear of failure regarding portions with which I had no experience to paralyze my ability to move forward with the project. Those days are behind me and I solve the problems as I screw them up, next time will always be better. I always have another project on which I can improve my ever growing skill set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0528171507.jpg   0529172033.jpg   0601172043.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Lets see some extra crispy targets!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    What a neat project!! Good for you. You are going to have a ball with it. I'd love to do one just like it. The only thing missing is money, skill, & time. Still, ........... the seed has been planted.

I have a similar project in mind. What did you do for a magazine? Sorry if I missed that..

PS: I like the ST90 in the background.

Boolit Man
    Well, as it turns out the magazine is going to be a serious problem. I had originally planned to use springfield xd 45 magazines but that won't fly....... For the same reason that the Rhineland arms conversions don't feed well...

Since the magazines are sloped, as the rounds move up, they also move forward. This is fine while the rounds are retained by the feed lips, but as soon as the round is free of the feed lips it says to jump up and forward at the same time. The instructions for the Rhineland arms conversions Aperantly say "cycle it quickly" and that would indeed seem to work, I just really dislike that option.

https://youtu.be/SInnie9wxLE

I am exploring two options to resolve this.

1) thompson smg magazines. The straight magazine and double stack double feed design will be closer the mauser feed system and I am going this gets the feeding reliability up where I want it to be. I have a 20 round on the way and it should be here next week.

2) do a weird extended extractor to "catch" the round........... Not liking this option.

Boolit Man
    Also ordered a reamer and gauges from manson to get the barrel chambered

My plan is basically the same as yours, except I was going to make new bottom metal to hold a stock 1911 magazine at the correct angle. The Mauser is a control feed, so you do need to use a little vigor. From your video, I'd suggest widening the gap between the bolt face and the extractor at the base of the extractor only so that the cartridge can pop up under it. Once its started the forward motion of the bolt over the magazine the feed lips should guid it in place.

I had a similar issue when I put a .38-55 in a Type 38 Arisaka (also a control feed). Because there was almost no taper to the case I had to ensue that the cartridge popped straight under the bolt so that the bolt could push it straight into the chamber. This works just great, but you do need to operate the bolt with a little vigor (short of slamming the bolt). If you try to operate the bolt slowly the cartridge may pop in font of extractor. For those cases, I made sure the extractor could close over the rim of a chambered cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

colonelsanders

There was a thread about Rhineland conversion a couple years back.....darned if I could find it. Anyways in it I explained how to make the M98 feed reliably from 45 ACP M1911 magazines. It's not hard to do, just have to really understand how the case rim has to make the transition from magazine to up under the extractor correctly. Once you understand that it's easy to do. I've converted 3 M98s now to 45 ACP and have another about half finished. If you want to go the M1911 magazine route then I can explain it again?

Here's a couple I've done;

Attachment 197141Attachment 197139Attachment 197140

Larry Gibson

Boolit Man
    Larry, a rundown of what's happening and what is needed to make them feed reliably would be very useful, I would much prefer to use pistol mags if possible.......... Tommy gun mags are stupidly expensive in comparison. I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I am Aperantly not the only one running into this issue.

At this point i havent built the Mag well, so I have total control over placement and angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast