Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Restoration

M1 Carbine Restoration

When I bought my M1 Carbine in 1990, it was a pretty sad specimen.

First time I shot it the slide jumped out of the receiver. Just plain worn out. Bought a new slide, bolt, and recoil spring and it was running good.

The stock was beat to heck and had import stamps all over it. I was young, and I sanded it all down and refinished it. Looked a little better, IMO, but I should have left it alone I reckon.

The rifle is a Standard Products. One of the less common models.

Been thinking about sending it off to have it restored for a while now. New barrel, new stock, have the whole think re-Parkerized. Want to have something pretty.

I know there are a couple of really good guys out there who do this kind of work. Just wondering if anyone has sent their Carbine or Garand out to have it restored?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Restoration will improve appearance, but not value. I would look for a replacement GI stock and leave the metal alone.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Same here. That kind of restoration destroys much of the historic value. It will take a $900 carbine and turn it into a $500 carbine!

Boolit Master

Well, I disagree, given the described condition. If it were a Winchester in as-issued condition that might be different. Carbines have been arsenal refinished and mismatched back together since Korea. Any competent Smith can Parkerize. Google parkerizing services. There are sources for new walnut stocks. Again, Google.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Rebarreling with non USGI barrel, metal refinishing, restocking with non USGI stock, you would not recover the cost of the work done on resale. You will spend $500 in fixing up a $500 gun and will still have a $500 gun...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Value in military weapons is originality, like it or not. Hate to say it but have seen $2000.+ K98 with SS runes sporterized just because the owner could. Stupid is as stupid does. Took a piece of history and made a $120 junker. Best to leave it alone. Replacing the stock with the same type in better condition is ok as long as GI.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Leave the metal alone and put a nice usgi stock on it. Refinishing the metal will drop the value. Esarco.com had some in stock a while back, you could check there.

I should have posted a little more info.

The barrel on the rifle is done, just like the slide was. I've cleaned the heck out if it, but it patterns like a shotgun. It's getting a new barrel.

As far as value, it only has value to me. It's already a mix-master, and I'm never going to sell it. It belongs to whoever I hand it down to.

It's not going to get an aftermarket polymer folding stock, but a nice/very nice walnut one.

What I was asking is, has anyone used someone that they trust for M1 Carbine work? If not, I'll go with what Google tells me.

It is your gun -- do as you please!!

Boolit Buddy
    i have not personally had work done with them, but i believe Fulton Armory with do custom services. Mike Bellview did a Youtube video on a M1 carbine he sent to them. duelist1954 is his handle. Or search M1 carbine.

Warpath Vintage in Denver. Chuck specializes in military rifles. He refinished all the metal on my Garand and did a beautiful job. He also reblues the small parts that were originally blued, many guys just parkerize everything, which isn't correct. He does great work, he's real good at filling in holes so you can't tell they were there, even holes drilled through rollmarks or stampings. Google Warpath Vintage.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    I should have posted a little more info.

The barrel on the rifle is done, just like the slide was. I've cleaned the heck out if it, but it patterns like a shotgun. It's getting a new barrel.

As far as value, it only has value to me. It's already a mix-master, and I'm never going to sell it. It belongs to whoever I hand it down to.

It's not going to get an aftermarket polymer folding stock, but a nice/very nice walnut one.

What I was asking is, has anyone used someone that they trust for M1 Carbine work? If not, I'll go with what Google tells me.
    Well, this changes everything, now don't it! May I suggest researching how to parkerize metal. The tear down tools really aren't that expensive and it's always more fun when you do things on your own. And if I had a mutt m1 with a good reciever, I would be thinking hard about doing a brown blushing like what is on the black powder guns, or even a real good regular blueing. The possibilities are endless. Wonder how many people will cringe at a nickel plated 30 m1 carbine?

Boolit Master

Ok, with All the info it makes a world of difference. Check Gunparts, Sarco or just google. Shoot, have all the tools one needs to change a barrel, not that bad. As for being a mix master, most are since most were overhauled for Korea. Once in a blue moon an original can be found with either flip sight or early adjustable, And thin front barrel band, no bayonet lug. As psweigle mentioned a self done finish job is not hard nowdays. They make spray on parkerizing. Good luck and post a pic when finished .
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Thanks, all!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    As far as value, it only has value to me.
    That's the key here. Enjoy your rifle and fix it up how you want it.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Don't change the barrel yet! It may not be as bad as you think! Try having the muzzle counter-bored! That is what the military did to restore accuracy on carbines with worn muzzles! Many times that brings accuracy back to original specs!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've only had one carbine refinished and the work was done by DGR guns in Tennessee . He did excellent work on that one carbine and many other Garands and a couple of 1903's I sent . I can't say enough good about the work .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Thank you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I've only had one carbine refinished and the work was done by DGR guns in Tennessee . He did excellent work on that one carbine and many other Garands and a couple of 1903's I sent . I can't say enough good about the work .

Jack
    as far as i know, dean has passed away a year or two ago.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Yes he did , but from what I understand the one that he trained for years is running the shop now .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast