MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinetic Bullet Pullers

Boolit Grand Master

Kinetic Bullet Pullers

I'm looking to buy a kinetic bullet puller. Which one are you using and what do you like or dislike about it? My RCBS collet puller works great on rifle ammo or on longer bullets but not so well on the shorter pistol bullets. Thanks

Boolit Master

I have an old one from midway. Works good. The lighter the bullet the more whacks it takes. If you crimp tight, more whacks. Also, use a dead blow. Don't rebound. Simple physics, can't imagine working much better than another.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a design difference between brands?

I use a Quinetics bullet puller and have had the same one for +25yrs. It works with cartridges as small as 9 x 18mm and as large as .50-70, but I only use it for those on rare occasions. More typically it works perfectly for pulling bullets (cast or jacketed) for .243Win. -> .45-70 and for my .38Spl. & .44mag. In short, it's an excellent product.

Boolit Master

Like Maven, I use the Quinetics puller, had it since 1978. If you're pulling lots of bullets, get something like the Hornady Cam-Lock, you'll be glad you did. If you do use the "wack a mole" model, you can put a buffer in the base where the bullet lands and prevent a lot of dinged up bullets, I use a finger cut off a Nitrile Glove.

Boolit Master
    i've had 4 different brands.

and ended up breaking all of them....but!....the ones with the all plastic handles seen to hold up better.

how did i break them all you ask? ....... i pulled nearly 50,000 assorted calibers from .25 acp to .500 s&w all pistol

Boolit Master

I put an inch or so of cotton balls in mine to protect bullet tips.

Boolit Master

I use a shell holder to hold the bullet instead of the collet that came with my RCBS unit. Works much better and is faster also. james

The Quinetics collect certainly simplifies and speeds up the use of a whack-a-mole.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Lyman has the most comfortable grip. Other than that I don’t see much difference.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    Use a lead ingot to hammer on.
    Or the end if a large oak log works.
    Something very solid makes it work better and less likely to break.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a Quinetics back in the mid-70's and broke it in a week. I complained to Quinetics and they sent me a new one for free. I used that one for the next 40 years, breaking down lots of grungy factory ammo and anonymous reloads for components, and finally broke it dismantling a bunch of very old, very heavily crimped, small-caliber lead bullet ammunition.

I e-mailed Quinetics with the particulars and they asked for a photo of the broken puller for a discount on a new one. Even with the discount, the new one cost considerably more than the old one had, but I figured with inflation and the fact the old one owed me nothing, that was fine. The new one has an improved shell holder chuck, and, against Quinetics' recommendation, I got an extra, "just in case," since I had worn out almost three of the old designs before giving up and using loading press shell holders instead. The new design doesn't look like it will wear out any time soon.

I christened the new Quinetics by breaking down the remainder of the box of old ammo, and it came through it fine. Since the old Quinetics had broken off behind the handle, after the photo session, I filled the front part with lead shot and epoxy glue and now use it as a mini-deadblow hammer to loosen the collet closer on my bench top milling machine. It works fine, and I have no doubt that it will perform this office nobly for the next forty years.

Quinetics was the only one of its type on the market back then, so I didn't have a choice for the first one, but I'm perfectly happy with the brand. No reason to change.

Boolit Master

This has been asked many times before.

They are all about the same and work ok w/ lead bullets. Just be sure and strike it against a piece of wood and not anything denser.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys. I'm probably going to order the RCBS. You pays your money and takes your chances, right? Thats a good idea to pad the nose if you plan to use the bullets again.

Get a piece of PVC pipe,cheap wire cutter/stripper tool & use your press for cast. yea, the hammer type for jacketed works. I don't have one and don't need one. Actually made one from PVC pipe - it's probably around here someplace.
    Whatever!

Actually the Quinetics is different. Their collet is split so there is no need to remove the cap each and every time to set or release the case. The collet can be purchased separately and fit both my Lymans and RCBS hammers.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I never use the collet, unless I have no matching shell holder. A shellholder does a better job.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

The RCBS is a good choice with its lifetime warranty. I broke one 2-3 weeks ago and need to send it in for a replacement. The handle snapped off so I Gorilla taped a length of PVC pipe to it to finish the work in progress. Mine has a thick felt pad in the bottom to cushion bullets. Your single stage shell holders are much faster and easier to use in the puller than the supplied collets.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    The one I have used for 30 years has "LYMAN PRODUCTS" written on the handle in large letters, and then in small letters on the handle it says "QUINETICS CORP., SAN ANTONIO" and on the screw off shell holder says "QUINETICS CORP., U.S. PAT. 3646661. It has the three part domed shell holder with the O-Ring around it. It has always worked well when hitting it on an old piece of pine 2x4 laying flat on a concrete slab.

Boolit Master
    Just a little shorter now....but still works great!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast