WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we have any Trapdoor Shooters ???

Boolit Grand Master

Couple of my "shooter" TDs....both H&Rs.

Attachment 196969

I also have a M1884 that's been reworked and restocked into a target model.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    All nice stuff there Larry. I like your cross-draw addition on the belt. Reminds me of James Garner's rig on the 1994 movie rendition of "Maverick".
    What caliber is the model '73?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    There were No original Carbines with a front site Like That . It does not matter If It is or not, what Matters is You like it and you enjoy shooting Them.
    Trapdoors are Like a Club Shoot them all.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Ol Deuce , I like the story of its history.

If you mic the diameter of the muzzle you can tell if it started out life as a rifle and was then cut down to its present length, or if it came from Springfield as a short barrel. The short barrel length you report, strongly suggests a cut down barrel. At 21" something long, it really does not conform to anything I have read about, even among the few/rare special ones Springfield made.

My guess, and just a guess, is your rifle is a remolded Springfield rifle, which of course is still great to have, but just not a rare one.
    After all this time you guys got my juices going and well as luck would have it ,She's just a Old Girl shortened & shined But the good thing is I took the time and took it off the wall!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4106.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	196983 Custer guns were 43,700 and this one is 48plus So it is what it is !!! but she shoots
    and looks good on my wall for sure!!!!
    Now some photos of this ol Girl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4123.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	196974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4108.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	196976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4138.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	196977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4136.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	196978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4115.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	196984

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    Buddy that's the important thing...weather you like it. Mine is a 1873 made in 1888 haven't shot it a ton but with some 405s and 14gr unique she's shoots fine. Than cast up these lee 405hb with 14 unique and haven't made it out yet. After this I'm going blackpowder it's what she was made for. Great fun..
    Last edited by Lethemgo; 06-05-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

I really like the TD.and was the reason I got it ,Not future value, Those Hammers get me going !! Ol Deuce

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Here's my all original (except the sling) 1873. Shooting it is an excellent way to spend an afternoon.Attachment 197018
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Vendor Sponsor

Lethemgo, Wow- those loaded rounds look like lipstick!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    That is my first attempt at powder coating...since I reloaded for a sharps I wouldn't mix them up at the range if I took them on the same day. Think I knew some girls who wore that color that were deadlier then these boolits.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rth&highlight=

This is one I put together awhile back. It can do 1.5" at 100 yards pretty regularly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance

I`ve got an 1884 rifle with ramrod bayonet that looks like it only saw guard duty use, both stock and metal have lots of original finish. The guy that sold it to me for $200 about 25 years back wants to buy it back now for the same price!Robert

Boolit Master
    Here Is one of my Trapdoors 1973 Carbine . very early serial # 33XX . All the metal Is Original. > It was Restocked with The Cartouche 1889
    The Metal is in Good shape The Bore shows a Lot of service . all marked 1873 . I bought it Because of The early #
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Here Is one of my Trapdoors 1973 Carbine . very early serial # 33XX . All the metal Is Original. > It was Restocked with The Cartouche 1889
    The Metal is in Good shape The Bore shows a Lot of service . all marked 1873 . I bought it Because of The early #
    Yours looks really good for as early as it is , How long is your Barrel??? Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    OK, here's mine. Sorry about the quality of the pic, but didn't have time to stage it properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trapdoor.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	197111
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I've got a 1870 in 50/70 that I have had for 27 years. It had been completely refinished including one of the best blue jobs I have ever seen. When I first looked at it, they were asking $375. I walked away at the price. I did a little research and decided it would cost almost as much to get set up to reload as the rifle at that time. Brass was $2 each and the only dies I could find were RCBS and stupid expensive. I wasn't casting at the time and bullets were difficult to find and expensive.(this was before Al Gore invented the innerweb) Went back into the gun shop 4-5 months later and the tag had dropped to $250 and they had added that it came with 100 pieces of brass and a set of RCBS dies. It came home with me. At the price of brass and dies I figure they were paying me to take the rifle home....

It shoots great. Still shoot probably 200 rounds a year through it. 450 grain slugs certainly drop the lead pot fast.

Boolit Buddy
    MY GEMMER

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    MY GEMMER

Very nice. I have all the parts for a Gemmer TD. I really want one. Just need to find the time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    My Cavalry Carbine clone I built from a sporterized 1884 infantry Trapdoor. S/N indicates it was made in April-June 1895.

Sight in target with factory .459 hardcast boolits over 22 gr of IMR4198.

My son in law shooting my other 1884 TD. It has an 1873 breach block and 1879 rear sight. Just like a Bannerman special!

Boolit Master

I own a Pedersoli Cavalry carbine and love shooting it w/ BP.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Not sure if this has been covered previously but heres a video I just found on the experimental .30-40 Trap Door carbine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F49D67pJEY

The rifle being test fired is a replica that duplicates the unique barrel and sights of the experimental rifles.
    Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12