Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any Trapdoor Shooters ???

Do we have any Trapdoor Shooters ???

I have a 1874 21 1/2'' barreled 45-70 officers carbine! and if others had this type?

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Grand Master

Yes a bunch here for both originals and reproductions. Is yours a H&R or an Italian?

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting an original 1884 trapdoor rifle. Lot of fun at the range and surprisingly accurate.

Boolit Master

I also have an original 1874 with bayonet. I, as well as a bunch of my friends, really enjoy shooting it & like JWT, find it to be very accurate!

Boolit Buddy
    My Trapdoor is an original Model 1884 rifle that dates to 1888. It is a favorite of mine, and my shooting buddies always make me promise to "bring the Springfield!" When fed proper ammunition, and if the shooter does their part, the accuracy of the Old Soldier is simply remarkable - even more so when considering it has 129 years under its belt

And, there's just something kinda special about setting off 70 grains of BP and launching 500 grains of lead "yonder way"
    Last edited by jrmartin1964; 06-04-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Been a while since I shot my 1873, but its accuracy always amazes me. I'm sure that the main limit for accuracy is my vision; those sights are awful small... And it is loads of fun pulling the trigger on such an old gun and getting great results downrange... I let others at the range "experience history" if they're interested, too...

Boolit Buddy
    I miss my old trapdoor but needed cash at the time it was sold. Now I cannot afford the current prices.
    Ditto on being asked by buddies to haul out the Springfield! Luckily I was able to keep my High Wall so am able to make smoke still.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes a bunch here for both originals and reproductions. Is yours a H&R or an Italian?
    Mine is an original ,No bluing but still shoots good! the bore is still nice ..........Ol Deuce

Boolit Buddy
    I have three. An 1888, an 1868(.50-70) and a custom built Gemmer .45-70 on an 1884 action. TDs are my favorite oldies.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Mine is an original ,No bluing but still shoots good! the bore is still nice ..........Ol Deuce
    If it's not a cut down and it truly is an officer model that is $20,000.00 to $60,000.00 rifle.

OM's should have 26" barrel.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

I found an '89/'90 at the annual Civil War show in Mansfield, OH in May. Prices ranged from ~$800-$1200. Have since bought Brass, mold, and Cowboy die. Doesn't seem to shot too bad.
    Cheers,
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Boolit Buddy

I have two 1873. One made in 1883,and 1886. Black powder only. And a H & R carbine.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting an 1868 in .50/70... Still developing loads, currently using about 26 grains of IMR 4198 behind a 340 grain Spencer bullet.
    The bullet is a little light, but what fun to pull the trigger on this gun!
    It shoots a bit high, which is to be expected, but it also shoots a LOT to the right.
    That, as far as I know, can't be fixed, so this one may be relegated to be trundled out once in a while.
    I haven't given up on it. Too much fun to shoot....
    If an 1873 follows me home, I won't complain!
    I like the Trapdoors!

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If it's not a cut down and it truly is an officer model that is $20,000.00 to $60,000.00 rifle.

OM's should have 26" barrel.
    M-Tecs.................Wow This old one has been on my wall for years! How do I tell ? the wood still has the ink marks ! a single Barrel band, feathers
    in the serial # and also on the barrel ! I'm going to get some pictures Ol Deuce

here is how it's been for years
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC034181.jpg MY TRAPDOOR.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	196959

Ol Deuce

Vendor Sponsor

Well. it is sure not a stock carbine. I can not see enough in the picture to know what is up. Looks like the barrel and lock plate have been striped and polished? I have a book but it is too late and lazy to check it out just now.

The front sight looks like it has been moved. Measure the diameter of the muzzle please.

Interesting tho.....
    Chill Wills

I have an 1884 model in my motley collection of shooting irons. Not very much blue left on it, but good wood and a decent barrel ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Well. it is sure not a stock carbine. I can not see enough in the picture to know what is up. Looks like the barrel and lock plate have been striped and polished? I have a book but it is too late and lazy to check it out just now.

The front sight looks like it has been moved. Measure the diameter of the muzzle please.

Interesting tho.....
    It has been polished on ! a little history I got it in 1981 the year after Mt.St.Helens went off! So after the WW2 the AlBaDoo guys had a Drum& march group for all the local parades ......as a kid in the 50s I remember these guys! They all had a trapdoor shined up ! the guy that called cadence
    had this one. I made a donation to the Shriners and was given this old gun!!! the serial # I was told was that of Custers Battle .......Who Knows ??

Thats my story
    Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Look on the other side and does it have the saddle ring? If not, then it's most likely like my old Trapdoor - a cut down rifle. The Trapdoor I have has a 22" barrel - I suspect that happen many years ago when somebody wanted a rifle that was easier to carry on horseback. The barrel has worn a good bit, slugs about .460" and really NEEDS .462" bullets to shoot decent. I've shot 3 hole groups at 5 yds with all holes touching with .462" bullets. With .459" bullets the group opens up to 2" to 3" inches.

Trapdoors are FUN to shoot.

Ken H>

Vendor Sponsor

Ol Deuce , I like the story of its history.

If you mic the diameter of the muzzle you can tell if it started out life as a rifle and was then cut down to its present length, or if it came from Springfield as a short barrel. The short barrel length you report, strongly suggests a cut down barrel. At 21" something long, it really does not conform to anything I have read about, even among the few/rare special ones Springfield made.

My guess, and just a guess, is your rifle is a remolded Springfield rifle, which of course is still great to have, but just not a rare one.
    Chill Wills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast