Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Problem with Dillon 450B...Need some advice

Moderator Emeritus

Problem with Dillon 450B...Need some advice

I bought a 450B from a lady whose husband, a close friend, has passed. Though it would be great to have one set up for 45 acp and one for 9mm. I am setting up the machine I bought for the 9mm and I am using Dillon Dies as well. When setting up the powder dispenser the first thing you do is put in the powder funnel in the powder die and set the powder dispenser on top. I have adjusted the powder funnel to almost touching the base plate (holds the 9mm brass) and the powder funnel will not expand the mouth of the case enough accept a cast boolit without shaving lead as it progresses through the other stations.

There is no marking on the powder funnel but the Dillon powder funnel is suppose to be "F" for 9mm.....the powder funnel was with the shell plate and the pins for the 9mm.....

Got any ideas on how to get the funnel to properly expand the mouth of the 9mm brass?

Thanks in advance....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

is the powder measure complete? look inside the powder measure and see if it has a white plastic in it. if not that might be your problem.
    Rick

http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe...L-450%20Manual instruction with photos.

My 45 acp powder funnel die is almost touching the shell plate also. It opened the case mouth enough.

The next die, station 3, RCBS seating is where the lead was being shaved on mine. I opened the inside diameter of the seating die, because die was removing the bell in the case to soon.

The 4th die taper crimps. Mine is a RL450. Your has a "B" ? Different?

You will need an ad blocker for Photobucket.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings

The 450-push pull machines that had the knobs on the powder and primer slide that you operated manually had short powder through dies that had a screw hole in them for holding the expander in place(https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click,
    When they made the conversions to the automatic powder system they used a longer powder through die.
    You may have the newer powder through die and an the old expander.

hope this helps

John J
    Last edited by John J; 07-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

^^^ bingo

Boolit Master
    Or maybe...just maybe...you have a 38 super powder funnel...

Moderator Emeritus

Gentlemen, Thanks for the help....just got off the phone with Dillon and the tech mentioned that the old funnels came with a white plastic bushing....it is missing in action and they no longer have the plastic bushing.....so the cure is a new 9mm powder funnel that is longer.....Once again a big ol' Texas Thank You for your help!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan