MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lee Question

Boolit Grand Master

A Lee Question

Does anyone know if Lee offers a set of shell holders that fit their case gauge trimmers. I use them for polishing some of the cases that I collect. I don't want to buy the case gauge for every odd caliber that I encounter, but would consider the shell holder.

Do not think so.

But the Zip Trim Three Jaw Chuck and the Spinner Stud to make it electric drill compatible should do you I would guess.

GD

GD's is a good suggestion, take a look at the Three Jaw Chuck and Spinner Stud. I have one and use it just as you describe, polishing case using the drill press.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Yes the do they are the priming set. Don't see them listed on the Lee site but Titan has the set listed. As mentioned Lee's 3 Jaw Chuck is perfect for what you want to do.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Guys. That looks like just what I need.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman's EZ Trim shell holder chuck thing (can't think what they call it) would work as well

Not sure about the Lyman unless you get a long bolt and cut the head off of it that can be chucked in the drill.

Here are the things I have on my bench.

Bottom is the Lee Three-Jaw Chuck with the Lock Stud shown with the ball handle trimmer. It chucks up nicely in the drill.

Middle is the Lyman E-Zee trimmer system, you can see the ball handle (I added the ball) has the screw in shaft that captures the case in the standard shell holder. It comes from the factory with a handle on the screw in shaft that likely won't fit in a standard drill chuck. I really like this trimming system but I have cartridges for which Lyman does not offer the trimmer shaft (221 Fireball).

Top is part of the K&M neck tool assembly that holds the cases. It requires the Lee Auto Shell Holders shown in the red case and works really well in the drill but I find I have to use a wrench to change out cases.

Last edited by flashhole; 06-04-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    Yes the do they are the priming set. Don't see them listed on the Lee site but Titan has the set listed. As mentioned Lee's 3 Jaw Chuck is perfect for what you want to do.
    Errrr...No!
    The primer shell holders are flat bottomed and the ones with trim kits are threaded on the inside and they are not interchangeable at all.

Boolit Master

+1 above. Priming and trimming quite different. As mentioned, Lee 3 jaw chuck is the way to go.

My apologies for my misleading statement as,17nut and seabolt pointed out. I have not used them for sometime because I'd switched to the 3Jaw Chuck. I added a ball handle to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1733_zpsbf7d15e4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	196876
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys. I looked at the shell holder set and noticed that they were different, so no harm done. I ordered the universal chuck and the stud that goes with it. Kinda forgot that they mede that, thanks again for that idea.

Boolit Master
    The 3 jaw is a good decision.....but with that said, probably only a few shell holders are all that's needed. A lot of sizes fit many different calibers.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    I just bought the Lyman copyof the LEE sizing system. It now includes the power drill adapter for the cutter, at least in the rifle set .

But the cutter is not the issue. He wants to chuck the holder in a drill and spin the case to polish it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    The 3 jaw is a good decision.....but with that said, probably only a few shell holders are all that's needed. A lot of sizes fit many different calibers.
    Thats true, but my collection has gotten bigger and spread to old/obsolete, foreign, and metric cartridges. I have the most common ones like the 223, 308 and magnum families, and those do cover a big percentage of cases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats true, but my collection has gotten bigger and spread to old/obsolete, foreign, and metric cartridges. I have the most common ones like the 223, 308 and magnum families, and those do cover a big percentage of cases.
    makes the 3 jaw decision even better.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Don't oil the 3-jaw chuck. If you lube it use powdered graphite.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the tip on oil. I'm hoping the 3 jaw chuck will arrive today.

Boolit Master

Contact Titan Reloading (on the sponsor bar) for a possible deal on the shellholders that come in the case length gauge sets. They are located in the same city as LEE and may be able to give you a deal on the 90+ case length gauges and matching shell holders that LEE makes (many shell holders have duplicate sizes for common case sizes (ie .473" diameter 30-06 cases and others).

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-pr...-gauges?page=3

I've been using this LEE Case trimmer set for more than 20 years and its been used in a cordless drill the entire time with that hex base slipping right into the chuck like a screwdriver bit.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; Many years ago before I got a tumbler, I polished my brass using a hard wood dowel as a mandrel. I tapered the dowel to be a snug fit in the case mouth, chucked the dowel/mandrel in my drill. I pushed the case on the tapered mandrel and spun/polished the case using very fine steel wool and auto polish. Worked quite well for a few cases here and there...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast