Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uberti colt 45 long colt cattleman

Perm-Banned

uberti colt 45 long colt cattleman

this winter i bought a new stainless steel uberti 45 long colt cattle man in the 7 and 1/2 inch barrel. this is what i done to it. wire spring for the bottom spring. the main spring was good. i polished the stainless steel to and nince shine. under the trigger guard was a lot of tool marks. made that area perfect with a high polish and no tool marks. when you took the cylinder out there was a machined area that needed smoothing out so the rim of the case would not catch in rotation of the cylinder. that is now smooth and highly polished. i sent the cylinder to DOUG GUY and he did a complete cylinder job for a very reasonable fee. i have a forcing cone cutter so i put a nice forcing cone in it that was way better than factory. as the cylinder was not stainless steel but polished steel i polished even more and sent it to mahovshys metalife to nickle plate ot a high polish. got it back one month later to day UPS and it is very well done and beautiful. put it in the gun and put 6 rounds in and went to the deck and rapid fired it at a man size target out about 20 yards i just put up. all were in the center chest area. not only do i have a beautiful gun but it really shoots. oh yes, i stripped the varnish off of the grips and polished oiled them down and they are really nice now. any cowboy action shooter would love to get their hands on this gun as it would win matches. im just going to do my thing and rapid fire it from the deck at the man target with my hand loads and never ever miss the target. is the single action army good for self defence, with me it is, im fast, my gun is tuned to the max and i never ever miss. am i happy with mahovskys metalife, you bet i am and im send a trigger guard asap to nickle plate next week. am i happy with DOUG GUY, you bet i am, the cases fall out of the ssa and it is consistantly accurate. thanks doug and metalife. johnson 1942

Doesn't look like any response is necessary, you've said it all and answered all the questions. lol

Paragraphs might be nice, though.

Perm-Banned
    just sharing the joy,as far as paragraphs, could care less.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sounds like you got her just the way you want her! Now enjoy and have fun!

I bought a blued 40 Colt 7 1/2" Uberti and it is one of my favorites. All it gets is my reloads. Mine was great right out of the box and I haven't had to do a thing to it. The furthest I've shot it so far is 50 yards and it shoots very well at that distance - better than I do. With the traditional RNFP 255 ish grain lead boolit it is a sweet shooter.

Enjoy and have fun!

Perm-Banned
    put about 60 rounds through it to day and never missed the gong once. thanks, it is fun.

Boolit Buddy
    johnson1942,
    Congrats on your project! Sounds like a great six-shooter. I would sure like to see some photos.
    Regards,
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Perm-Banned
    it really worked out well with the nickle plated cylinder. my daughter is coming to visit me from n.dak. she loves to shoot handguns. i got the cylinder back in time, and the new man target is up and i have a icecream pail fill of reloads for her to burn through. im going to let her shoot all of them if she want. i really really like the way the grips turned out with the varnish off them and they are oiled. how ever maybe in the future i will put some elk horn grips on it from a guy in minn. that would make that gun perfect in every way.

Perm-Banned
    ill try to get my wife to do the pictures.

good report, thanks

Boolit Buddy
    "Tuned to the max" , what all did you do to it? Don't fan it if it's not set up for it, you'll ruin it. There's a LOT you can do to a Cattleman. Set up correctly, they can be an awesome S.A.! I have a highly modified (much more than the so called "factory tuning") El Patron Comp that I have with me all the time. I have fanned it at least 50 cycles a day for 3 yrs., it's the easiest handling S.A. I own. Other than the flat main spring, it has all coil springs. Hammer draw is 3 lbs. Trig. pull is 2 1/2 lbs.

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Perm-Banned
    go to the top and i posted what all i done to it. i would never ever fan any of my uberti colts. i can shoot fast enough with out that. its a keeper

Boolit Buddy
    So, the "bottom" spring I guess is the combination spring? I think you loose a lot of feel with wires. Coils (correctly done) still give a snappy "factory" feel/sound.

You said "rapid fire" so, fanning comes to mind. Rapid means different things to different people. Its perfectly fine to do that if you're set up for it. I was just cautioning you if yours isn't.

Glad you like what you have.

Mike
    Last edited by HATCH; 08-08-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: TOS#5

Quote Originally Posted by 45 Dragoon View Post
    You said "rapid fire" so, fanning comes to mind. Rapid means different things to different people.
    Guess it does mean different things to different people. I figure fanning would be called just that though.

Boolit Buddy
    LAH,
    Well, rapid to some may be 6 shots in 30 sec. Others may think more like 6 shots in 5 sec. The OP was being a little vague so I mainly wanted to caution him before he destroys his beloved revolver. Fanning is actually a method, not a speed. You can fan 6 shots over a day or a week if you like, one shot at a time. One can also "thumb slip" by using the off hand thumb to cycle the action as fast as a fanning method. So, you were obviously thinking of fanning in a "rapid succession" scenario. So was I. I guess we were on the same page after all . . . . . you know, that " . . rose by any other name . . . " thing . . .

Mike

Perm-Banned
    cock shoot , cock shoot. never miss the man target at 20 yards. never ever fan dont need to. son in law spent a day with me and went though a couple of hundred rounds and never ever missed the man target once. lobes that ssa and may want to get one. his favorite one to shoot was the 1871-1872 uberti colt open top in 45 long colt. it points like a finger. he is a big man. 6 foot 6 and 250 pound and not fat so the cattle man fit his hand better than mine. he also shot the 1871-1872 upen top uberti colt 38 special and got very fast very tight groups with that. this morning he want to shoot my man with no name uberti colt 1851 navy conversion in 38 special. it very very addictive too shoot these gun. like eating peanuts, just cant stop.

I didn't say a word about the speed of fanning. The OP said nothing of fanning. He simply said rapid fire.

Boolit Buddy
    LAH,
    Yep.

And that's Great!! See, you've learned something!!

That's what these forums are all about!!

Mike

Originally Posted by 45 Dragoon
    You said "rapid fire" so, fanning comes to mind. Rapid means different things to different people.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Guess it does mean different things to different people. I figure fanning would be called just that though.
    When I said "just that", I did mean that fanning would be called fanning. So "rapid fire" did not come to mind for me.