RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting hogs with 45ACP in an AR platform. Any experience or thoughts?

If a 40sw @ 25 yds will do it, no problem with the 45acp. Tail shot and you can see the exit under the chin, took out the left front leg too. Cast 165gr. ~950 fps. weapon of choice now is 300BO pistol with 145 to 185gr cast.
    Attachment 197112
    Attachment 197113
    Attachment 197114
    Last edited by popper; 06-07-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

way to go popper
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    You ain't lyin' Smoke!
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Cast 165gr. ~950 fps. weapon of choice now is 300BO pistol with 145 to 185gr cast.
    Would you please share the data on that load?
    Benny

I have to admit I have been considering the Hipoint Carbine in .45acp. I already have both the 9mm and the .40sw and love both.

Both are dead simple to strip down to basics, slap a 60$ Red Dot on top and go have some fun.

Considering that I could buy 2 and probably a thousand rounds of ammo instead of a .45 AR, I highly doubt I would ever go that route. But that is just me, YMMV.

Banned

I will own one of those High Point carbines soon. Probably a .45 ACP, but wouldn't mind a 9mm or .40 either.

You know, I'm no expert, but the .45 ACP has a long and distinguished track record as a man stopper. I routinely shoot deer within hand gun distance, just haven't used a hand gun on them yet. Yeah, yeah, hogs are tougher than deer, I defy anything that size to take a .45 slug of decent weight in the lungs and stay on it's feet very long. Hunt within your shooting capabilities and it'll do it.

Boolit Master
    The internet is showing plenty of hogs being shot with .45 cal. airguns....which have about the same numbers as the .45 ACP......but would not come close to being my first choice.

tsubaki - the 40SW is 165gr 4.5gr 231 in a XDM, book says 933 with 0.2 gr. more, I add a few fps for cast. 145gr BO uses 15gr H110, 170 is 15gr 1680, 185GC is 14gr 1680. The 170/185 moulds I designed for 30/30 but work fine in the AR (Lancer mags). The 145 runs >2k fps from carbine, haven't chronyd in pistol. Either PC, HiTek or BLL coated. Alloy is isocore w/Cu.
    Shot alongside a guy with a HP carbine in 9mm, he wanted a 40 but? We did compare results, my pistol is 5# holds 10, 20 or 30 rnds, he used glock mags @ 17 (?). he patterned @ 25.
    Was listening to the guy from the gun auction site talk about the 30 carbine development. Interesting - 1911 45acp wasn't killing enough bad guys so they wanted a light carbine to do the job. Stated that 1911 was hard to learn to shoot (I agree after trying in ealy 60's), took more training time.
    I defy anything that size to take a .45 slug of decent weight in the lungs and stay on it's feet very long That was ~150# of pig that ran ~100 yds more, full tilt, on 3 legs. I hit him @25 in the rump, went through the gut, lungs, maybe heart, front shoulder and jaw. IMHO the extra 0.050" and 40gr don't make enough difference.
    Last edited by popper; 06-08-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Whatever!

200 gr swc would be my pick with 5 grs Bullseye. Shoot until piggy stops.
    Enjoy your hunting and kill a bunch.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Take a look at QuartercircleTen. They make great lowers for AR's that take glock mags. I have one in 45acp and it is a ball. I am running a 16" upper. I wouldn't hesitate to take pigs out to a hundred yards with it. I killed pigs on the channel islands of California some years ago, and used a win 94trapper in 45LC. It killed them just fine with a 250 grain bullet at 1200 fps. I shoot 230 grain RNFP's over 6 grains of Unique in my AR. Shoots great.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

My LBT 230 grain LFN (.32" meplat) takes between 8 and 9 milk jugs to stop when cast from a non-deforming alloy and fired at 830 fps. That's from maybe 4 yards from a pistol. Another 200 fps from a carbine? You're really not all that far from a traditional black-powder spec .45 Colt (heavier, slower, and softer) at that point - the secondary purpose of which was to kill HORSES. No, I wouldn't be taking cross-canyon shots on elk with it, but as a sub-50 yard baconator, sure. Punch 'em in the boiler and let the bathtub drain.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

My brother gifted me a new Hi-Point 45 ACP carbine along with the double mag carrier and two extra mags last year,it's a joy to shoot especially with a decent red dot sight and handloads. I worked up a load using the Lee 200 gr. SWC PC'ed and sized to .452 with Power Pistol that dead on at 30 yds. Average velocity on the chrono was around 1050 fps. with my loads which is still about a half grain off Max. but I see no reason to bump it up,all cases were charged with the RCBS Lil Dandy and a #10 rotor.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hog.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	197611

He walked up on me right after I filled the feeder. Kimber Gold Match in 460 Rowland. Went in his snout and came out next to his spine behind his rib cage.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Had a Boar charge me and my 11 YO son at the time after I missed with a muzzle loader and had to use a 3.5" Bersa 45acp to end the charge at 25' Dropped in it's tracks where the shot entered at the front shoulder and exited right in front of the rear hind quarters. Round was a 230gr XTP loaded close to max with power pistol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bersa-Boar-08-28-2011.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	197615

Y'all sure a 45ACP won't just bounce off their thick gristle plates like we've been led to believe for so many years? He he
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post
    Y'all sure a 45ACP won't just bounce off their thick gristle plates like we've been led to believe for so many years? He he
    I'm not real sure but I know bullets don't bounce off there heads!
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    .45 ACP isn't be my first choice for hogs, but I have killed a couple smallish ones with my P220.

I like the Lyman 452424. I know it was designed for the .45 Colt, but they shoot pretty good in the ACP and cut a nice hole in meat.

Cast from COWW they weigh 252 grains. They're longer than most .45 ACP bullets so I only use Winchester cases with them. I've had problems with the case walls on other brands being too thick at the base of the seated bullet which can cause them to bulge out and create clambering issues.

What can will you be using on your carbine? I've found that powder coating really helps keep the fouling down in my suppressors when shooting cast.
    It's pretty much required if you've got an aluminum can that's not user serviceable.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...

Got the .45 Colt break over, developed a bore rider load to increase powder space without reaming the chamber and then moved so far north that short haired hogs can't hack it. Maybe in a few million years the hogs will evolve to become woolly boogers and spread north.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't let knuckle heads like the 300 blkout shooter get you down I have killed a few with 9mm ranchdogs and a whole lot of deer, never lost an animal. I listen to people like that all the time, they read too many cityidiot outdoor rags. Your highpoint is a good little gun and the 45 will will do the job if you do yours.

And if you still have doubt about the lethality of the .45 acp, they do make them in 10mm now too. And since I have a .460 Rowland a conversion to that has always interested me.

I dont believe it would be that diffcult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12