WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is the best handgun case lube for 310 dies

What is the best handgun case lube for 310 dies

In thinking about how lube works and how it is applied I thought, just for grins, what do others use and what is the process others use to lube their handgun cases? Do you remove the lube after resizing? What have you found works best on these vintage reloading machines? Do you ever clean your resizing die? Is there a good way to lube that little case mouth expander ball (or button)?

I load on a Lyman Tru Line Jr. Locally there is only Hornady One Shot aerosol available. I find it tends to lube ok for 9mm, but, 38 Special tends to stick more often. I am just about out and a friend suggested Imperial Sizing wax which has good reviews. That friend has decades more experience than me and I find him to be correct every time. My decision is I'm going to go with Imperial. Now, how do I apply it and.......

What are your thoughts and practices?
    Last edited by bbogue1; 06-02-2017 at 05:44 AM.

The 310 tool only resizes the case mouth. The Tru-Line Jr can use either the muzzle resizer or a full length resizer. The full length resizer cannot be used with the 310 tool.

Any case lube will work for either muzzle or full length resizing. I use the RCBS lube, but there is nothing special about it.

I don't use any kind of lube when expanding the case mouth to accept the bullet.

The only die that get a regular cleaning is the bullet seating die. It can accumulate bullet lubricant pretty easily. I use drug store rubbing alcohol and paper shop towels to clean the die.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

This morning a friend of mine said he uses transparent paste shoe polish, just regular old Kiwi clear polish. He guesses black or brown paste shoe polish would work also, just never tried it. Anybody else ever hear that? He says it works fine and he cleans the casing off after sizing- depriming.

The Imperial is good lube. I use it on full length sizing rifle cases and forming cases.
    For neck sizing on my 310's I use Lee's case lube. Don't cost much and works fine.
    On either one I just put a dab on clean finger tips and wipe on.
    I once used a pad but it collected grit. Clean fingers don't.
    Leo

Boolit Master

+1 on the Imperial Case Wax. I have used it for years and never had a problem with it. I wipe my fingers in it, roll the cases around and after I have sized my cases, I wipe it off with an old used bath towel. my experience anyway, james

First 2 cases of a batch of 100 get the case mouth lightly dipped into Imp sizing wax.

This is clean cases, deprimed on a hand depriming unit, then citric acid washed, then toweled dry, brush in the primer pocket, leave in towel on stove pilot to dry totally.

The first two is all I have ever needed to do, and it does not take much. And it does not leave enough on the cases to worry about removing.

Necked down centerfire rifle tends to need a touch more, so I get my left hand finger tips a light touch of Imp sizing wax and just handle the cases as I load them in.

That is what I do, YMMV.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Lube? You're supposed to use lube with a 310??

I'm kidding of course, although they can be used that way. I have one of the old tin cans full of "white graphite" and the little brush mounted inside. You shake the can before opening, then push the case neck down over the brush. The graphite is picked up on the inside and outside of the neck and is ready for sizing. Unfortunately, white graphite is going the way of the do-do bird so it looks like I'll be using Imperial from now on.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have used Imperial now for a bunch of years but when I started we used STP on an ink stamp pad .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Imperial by far!!!