Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Believer at last

Boolit Grand Master

A Believer at last

A few days ago, I started my first thread on this sub-forum...My First Prayer.

I spent a few hours reading the bible. Hogtamer suggested reading Luke. Thank you sir!

Last night I was laying in bed and my mind was racing. I have always looked at the stories in the bible as "fairy tales". Individually, most can be explained away. Then it struck me.....even if 25% of the stories are mostly true (I believe things may have been embellished and doctored), there are too many to dismiss the conclusion that Jesus existed and had powers beyond those of man. He could not have amassed the followers he did if his miracles, teachings of how to live life, and His goodness were all simply stories. He interacted directly with the people...and no one can fool everyone all the time. Jesus was killed because he was a threat to those in power. They feared not what He could do with the sword but the Word he spread and His presence as the Son of our Lord. He was, He is, He always will be.

And so rationally, yes rationally, Jesus IS. For an engineer, man of science and life long atheist this is a huge step. I do not have to accept every story at face value or as 100% correct. (I know many here will think this is sacrilegious, but it where I am now, and it is far from where I was as an atheist). There is too much evidence that Jesus walked this earth to dismiss it all as a huge fabrication.

Without the pain I suffered during my break up with the love of my life, and the emptiness of losing her, I would not have continued this journey to salvation. So, I thank God for putting her in my life...the one woman who can hurt me to the core and who led me to Christ. My wake up call. Maybe she has done her service and we will part....maybe God has planned for us to be together. We shall see. It has been tough not seeing her for 18 months. I still love her in spite of her faults. I have hurt her and she has hurt me but I have been spared the sin of Wrath. I no longer feel anger towards her. I have no desire for vengeance or to hurt her. I have forgiven her.

God has not answered my prayer and yet I believe. I may never have my prayer answered. But Jesus is now part of my life regardless of what happens. It is a strange feeling to be at this point after all these years....I do not have the words to describe it.
    Don Verna

Banned

Thank God for the persons who planted and watered the seed of salvation.
    Best news I heard all day.
    God Bless you Brother.

Congratulations. Welcome to the family of God. I hope your faith continues to grow. And remember, some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. At the time we desperately want whatever it is, but eventually when we see how it turns out we understand.

Boolit Master

All I can say is thank you Jesus! And don't you worry about what anyone has to say about what you believe because you are EXACTLY where GOD wants you to be! You are now a King's kid, a son of the living God, a co-heir with Christ of His kingdom! It doesn't get any better than that.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I have spent many a Sunday morning listening to folks' individual devotions to Christ, and I have heard few that have moved me as much as this one. God is great!! Thank you, Don, for your open heart and your honesty as you've worked through your struggle with your personal relationship with Christ!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    "Then they said to him, 'What must we do, to be doing the works of God?' Jesus answered them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in whom he has sent.'" John 6:28-29 (E.S.V.)

"For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." John 6:40 (E.S.V.)

exile

dverna, I look forward to meeting you on that last day, if not before.

Congratulations! If the last 35 years as a believer has taught me anything, it is that you can trust His Word. God bless!
    Last edited by exile; 06-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master

Thanks for the post it is inspiring
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    You took the step that will change your life and give you life . Many doors have opened for you . I'm Glad to walk the road with you , may the Lord guide us .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

New life! Celebrate the date as your new birthday Don and understand that you are a "babe" in Christ this day. I will pray that God gives you a passion for His word. I won't quote chapter and verse of scripture to you as you "grow," just a preview. I can say that the beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord. That the miracles, the signs and wonders that captivate us are nothing for the Creator and Jesus often went out of his way to make them secondary to the real message of love and grace he embodied. He came not to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved. Luke was a man of what passed for science in his day, a physician, and gives a straightforward account of what he observed. John gives an entirely different perspective, of "kingdom" life, of Spirit, Love and the Light of life. The little letter of 1 John has meant much to me in this regard. One vital piece of advice: seek a fellowship of believing men with whom you can share and grow in Christ. They are out there and will encourage you in life and your Christian journey. Now to Him who is able to keep us from stumbling, and present us before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God alone who is wise, be power and dominion forever and ever. Amen. I no longer call you friend, but brother, and love you as such and will continue in prayer for and with you.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I strongly advise that you find a Red Letter bible in the version that works for you. Read what he said. And reread it, and try to live it. And find out how hard it is.

I have seen myself brothers reaching out for you.
    We feel your pain, we hope you make it.
    We are in your corner. At this point your faith is like a plant just sprouted from a seed. It is fragile. It needs some sun, but not too much. It needs some moisture, but a big rain will wash it out. Mostly it needs time to grow. Give it that time.

Luke is good, I prefer Mathew. But Luke first is fine.

There is help here if you need it. If doubt assails you, if you are overtaken by despair.
    And of course there is help from above.

Lord, I ask that you send the Holy Spirit to dwell in Dverna's heart. Help him to clean his heart, purge it of hate, anger, fear. Those are like acid, they corrode everything in time. Clean it out, make it a worthy place for the Holy Spirit to live. And then let the Spirit guide my brother. Let it show him the way. Let it bring peace like a river for him as it did for me. I do not know your will Lord, and I do not go against it. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. But this is my wish. Make your new servant strong in the faith. A mighty soldier in the army of Christ. In the name of God the Father, his Son our Lord Jesus, and in the Holy Spirit I pray. Amen.

Boolit Grand Master

The angels in heaven are celebrating!

They killed Jesus not because 'he was threatening them' but for a very specific reason. Blasphemy - he claimed to be God incarnate and to them that was blasphemy and by the Law deserving of death. The religious experts of the day understood exactly what He was claiming and refused to understand and accept. That is the mechanism by which he was killed. He died for my sins and for your sins, that was simply a mechanism.

Understanding this throws in the face those who wish to argue that He was a good man. No, He was God incarnate and was killed because he publically made this claim. Either He was a madman or He was God.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance

Welcome to the family, my new brother. May the God of all Creation and His Son Jesus Touch you and give you strength.
    God please touch this new brother. Give him strength and help in the coming days. Give him wisdom and understanding as he travels this road. Bless and kepp him as you promised in your word. In the Precious name of Jesus I ask. AMEN
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to the family of God. you are now joint heir with Jesus In the kingdom of Heaven. I walked your walk and met Jesus the same way so from my heart I can say, you have not seen anything yet. As you grow in Christ you will see things this world would call impossible.
    Yours in Christ's service

Welcome to the Church. I do not have to accept every story at face value or as 100% correct. Accept them as true now, after some study/time you will understand. Don't nitpick the small stuff, you just started down the road and there is a lot to see. http://changedlives.org/ Down to earth - was an atheist/businessman turned preacher. Passed in 2013 but his sermon collection is online and it is NOT the normal church stuff.
    Whatever!

Praise GOD, for He is great.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you all for your kind words.

There are thoughts of the sins I have committed. In spite of trying to be a good person, I have failed others and myself many times. In my arrogance and ignorance, I have denounced God and Jesus. It helps to know that if I truly repent, God will grant me forgiveness. Not even God expects me to be perfect...so I can stop beating myself up. God's forgiveness is not a "get out of jail free card" to justify sin or make sinning easier to do. I have still not wrapped my mind around all sins being equal. My "common sense" sees lying as a lesser sin that the rape of a child. But my "common sense" has failed me in the past so I will try to understand.

I am ashamed that my first prayer started with the result I wanted and then a prayer for His guidance and wisdom. DG, your comments in post 3# are so important and helpful to me right now. Unanswered prayers have meaning too.

Regrettably the few churches I have attended did not seem a good fit for me. There is a nondenominational church about 12 miles from me that has been suggested by a friend of mine. My hope is to find a group to interact and grow my faith with.

Bless you all
    Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

congrads .. like life there are lots of twist and turns along the road there will be snakes that look like doves ..
    If it does not pass the smell test pray for guidance
    again congrads ..Keep looking up
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Yes, from the deepest pain can come deep faith. That is the way it happened for me in 1970 and you in 2017. It took me several years to sort out the details of my faith and it will be that way for you. You are now on a life journey with Jesus and it will take you home in due time.

I will be praying for you all the way....
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Congratulations, Don. Church can be a challenge. I find that many do not fit me either but that does not affect my Faith. Follow your heart.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Welcome to the family of God. you are now joint heir with Jesus In the kingdom of Heaven. I walked your walk and met Jesus the same way so from my heart I can say, you have not seen anything yet. As you grow in Christ you will see things this world would call impossible.
    Yours in Christ's service
    Your words, Family of God, is one of my favorite hymns we sing every week at our service(s). Thanks, I just listened to it on Youtube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast