Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nipple = Accuracy Check

Banned

New Nipple = Accuracy Check

Got a couple new Treso nipples in today for my Traditions St.Louis Hawken.

I loaded up my current hunting load of 70gr Pyrodex P, .020" patch, .490" round ball.

Before loading, I popped 2 caps and they sounded real dull, not the typical sharp loud crack that I usually hear. I could hear a muffled boop, come out of the muzzle when the cap went off.

But anyway, the nipple worked flawless with Pyrodex. Cap fit is still a little loose so pinching the cap is a must. I'll cut some rubber hose and slip that over the nipple to hold it in place while hunting.

My first shot is to the right. After seeing that I just about busted my twisted up gut the doctor found yesterday
    Open sights, traditional muzzleloader and patched round ball. HELL YES!

Boolit Master
    Target: Excellent grouping can't get much better. Glad the nipple change out worked out well on that Traditions. Yup! (Going to get those hybrid bullet shooters jealous U are.)__

Banned
    damn straight! Especially since I forgot to mention that was from 100 yards!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    damn straight! Especially since I forgot to mention that was from 100 yards!
    I've got a couple targets almost as good - round ball can do it !! - mine out of CVA barrels too !
    Joe

Perma-Banned
    Treso nipples are all i am using now, the Stainless RMC nipples shot out REALLY fast, The Treso/Ampco's are holding up good

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Treso nipples are all i am using now, the Stainless RMC nipples shot out REALLY fast, The Treso/Ampco's are holding up good
    I have to agree. I had an RMC burn out in under 50 shots with my J.P. Murray.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    I thing I worry about with the treso nipple is an experience I had years ago. I removed the nipple one day and half the threads were broken off. This was probably 10+ years ago and I never bought one after that. I hope this time things go better.

Perma-Banned
    I just now took this picture, they both have the same 20 shot count, The Treso/Ampco is stil like brand new, The Stainless RMC is already garbage

Attachment 196823

Boolit Buddy
    I'll swear by the Spitfire Magnums for #11 nipples. Toughest, most consistent nipples I've ever used. Never had a misfire with one, even on rainy or snowy days hunting. I have probably 1000 shots on a couple of them and you cant tell they've ever been struck by a hammer. I've also compared my used ones to new Spitfires by inserting torch tip cleaners into the touch holes and they show no flame cutting. I haven't tried Treso so I cant say anything about them, but I was impressed enough with Spitfires to switch from Hot Shot nipples after years of use.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    I'll swear by the Spitfire Magnums for #11 nipples. Toughest, most consistent nipples I've ever used. Never had a misfire with one, even on rainy or snowy days hunting. I have probably 1000 shots on a couple of them and you cant tell they've ever been struck by a hammer. I've also compared my used ones to new Spitfires by inserting torch tip cleaners into the touch holes and they show no flame cutting. I haven't tried Treso so I cant say anything about them, but I was impressed enough with Spitfires to switch from Hot Shot nipples after years of use.
    jjarrell, I have been waiting for the Spitfires to show up in stock around my parts (Buffalo Arms, and October Country) they have been on back order for quite sometime now. I have heard great things about them. So far i am VERY impressed with the Treso/Ampco nipples, very durable and are holding up well, shooting 80 plus Grains of Black with BIG heavy bullets really takes its toll on a nipple

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    jjarrell, I have been waiting for the Spitfires to show up in stock around my parts (Buffalo Arms, and October Country) they have been on back order for quite sometime now. I have heard great things about them. So far i am VERY impressed with the Treso/Ampco nipples, very durable and are holding up well, shooting 80 plus Grains of Black with BIG heavy bullets really takes its toll on a nipple
    October Country Muzzleloading has them at $4.67 for 1/4x28 thread Spitfires. www.octobercountry.com

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    October Country Muzzleloading has them at $4.67 for 1/4x28 thread Spitfires. www.octobercountry.com
    They might be back in stock now? I live about 45 minutes from October Country and get in there about once a month or so (i much prefer Buffalo Arms) The last time i was in OC it showed online that these spitfires were in stock but they were not. They only had 1 spitfire left and it was for a Lyman, i grabbed it for my Lyman GPH .54, its gonna get tested HARD in the next few days, i will be shooting a 530 Grain PP bullet with 70-80 Grains of Swiss 3F

Perma-Banned
    Are these Spitfires suppose to be cut off center like this?

Attachment 197133

I had to do a little retrofitting with this Spitfire in order to work in my Lyman GPH rifle, the nipple stud was to tall not allowing the hammer to half cock, i had to take about a 1/16 or so off, now it works great. I like the shorter thread journal on these Spitfires, allows more room above the powder from the bottom of the nipple, which i would think would give more reliable ignition.
    Last edited by 54bore; 06-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Banned
    not off that bad, but it does happen if the flash hole is drilled off center. Shouldn't hurt a thing.

Perma-Banned
    not off that bad, but it does happen if the flash hole is drilled off center. Shouldn't hurt a thing.
    You got a crooked eye my friend! The counter hole (whatever its called?) is off by quite a bit. I am not worried about it, just curious if this is normal? This is the first Spitfire nipple i have owned, so no experience with them

Banned
    I meant it shouldnt by off that bad. Not normal, but it will not hurt anything either as far as ignition performance goes.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If accuracy goes away with a caplock, the nipple is usually the culprit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I agree, it shouldn't hurt anything or have an adverse impact on ignition. I checked all of mine however, and they are centered. Just an "off" day in the machine shop. LOL

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If accuracy goes away with a caplock, the nipple is usually the culprit.
    I VERY much agree waksupi!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Agree. It's the SIZE of the hole that matters.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast