Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Colt Brand "45 Long Colt" Wax Bullets

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Colt Brand "45 Long Colt" Wax Bullets

I didn't know where to post this. I found this picture earlier. I thought it being a Colt branded product AND having "45 Long Colt" written on it, was kinda neat.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

See, Colt knows . . .

NOW if we can finally get these other folks to understand . . .
    <LOL>
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

You can punch out your own! I use a 45-70 case with chamfered edge. Soft wax is easiest. They do make a mess in the bore
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
    You can punch out your own! I use a 45-70 case with chamfered edge. Soft wax is easiest. They do make a mess in the bore
    that's why i use hot glue boolets!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Even Colt calls them "45 Long Colt"! I knew I was right.

Waxies are fun with primer only. So are hot melt glue (HMG) cast boolits (better accuracy). I shoot them all the time in 9/40/44/45 cals. HMG's do not leave any mess in your bore. They will NOT cycle a semi, but for plinkin', that's OK. You can even shoot them in the garage or basement as long as you have good ventilation for primer smoke removal.

Boolit Master
    Back in the 80's we use to drill out the primer pockets and use shotgun primers to push paraffin slugs. I never liked the paraffin that much. I did cast a Ranch Dog bullet a few years back from a broken crayon. That thing had some zing.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Someone, Hornady maybe, used to make plastic cases and plastic bullets in .38Spl. that were primer fired. You wouldn't want to get hit by one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Someone, Hornady maybe, used to make plastic cases and plastic bullets in .38Spl. that were primer fired. You wouldn't want to get hit by one.
    I think that was Speer. They still make them.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/product...g_bullets.aspx

I bought a box of gun junk at a auction several years back. There was a box of 500 wax bullets.
    The box was in bad condition, what writing there was unreadable. These were red and looked like
    WCs. They were like dried varnish for hardness. They didn't splatter they fragmented. I used them
    Sparingly and only have a few left. I used them in 35 Rem to sting pests in the yard and shot
    Black birds with them- killed them at 30'. Shot a few out of 38 & 357 just playing around in
    Basement. I would like to find the source of these. I have tried to make wax bullets but mine are
    to soft. I have been watching cowboy stuff to see what they use in fast draw. The only thing that
    I could make out on box( I think) was Minn ? Maybe made in Minnasota? I don't know but would
    like to buy some.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I bought a box of gun junk at a auction several years back. There was a box of 500 wax bullets.
    The box was in bad condition, what writing there was unreadable. These were red and looked like
    WCs. They were like dried varnish for hardness. They didn't splatter they fragmented. I used them
    Sparingly and only have a few left. I used them in 35 Rem to sting pests in the yard and shot
    Black birds with them- killed them at 30'. Shot a few out of 38 & 357 just playing around in
    Basement. I would like to find the source of these. I have tried to make wax bullets but mine are
    to soft. I have been watching cowboy stuff to see what they use in fast draw. The only thing that
    I could make out on box( I think) was Minn ? Maybe made in Minnasota? I don't know but would
    like to buy some.
    Cast your own HMG boolits using your existing molds! I do it all the time. You COOL the molds with ice on the bottom after injecting the glue into the cavities. Use PAM as a lube/release agent. The shoot GREAT with primer only.....or a grain (or three) of any fast powder!

Don't worry about PAM in the mold cavities. Just wipe out with a paper towel and proceed to cast hot lead with absolutely NO problems. Cold molds cause wrinkles......NOT oil/grease.

Having HMG boolits shaped like REAL boolits is far superior to those silly wax cut-outs some make.

Hot wax in chilled mold works pretty good. I've used the speer plastic cases and plastic bullets in .38. They work pretty good, but hot wax bullets are just as good.
    NRA Benefactor Member