Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
I bought one of these back when they were $129... https://www.rockler.com/ezsmart-track-saw-system makes trimming doors etc a piece of cake. With the right blade you can cut off a piece that is paper thin... but as I mentioned it is a pain setting it up for repeat cuts which is what I need. If I need 10 pieces all the same width it is a lot of futzing around to get things right and can add hours to a project. Like the set of storage shelves I built my mom for Christmas 2 years ago. She is in a condo and had a space that wouldn't fit any standard width shelf plus she wanted door to hide the mess. So I built her a cabinet 33 inches wide and 6' tall and 17 inches deep(said it was an odd size) to fit that space perfectly. Looks like a built in but if she moves she can take it with. I had to cut the sides, top and bottom all the same, then cut 7 shelves all the same to fit it... Then I had to cut dado's on my old table saw with the broken fence held on with a vice grip...
I had something similar. It didn't have the bed for the circular saw to be attached, it just acted as a guide that you attached with C-clamps and you used the edge of the circular saw against it. So, you had to take into account the distance between the edge of your circular saw and the blade when you were setting it up. Doing rip cuts on 2x4s was not really an option since the offset left you with very little of the base of the saw on the board. For other stuff though, as you said, it's good for the one-off cuts, but repeat cuts are tedious to get *exactly* equal. In a lot of things in woodworking, it's not so much *exact* measurements, but just being able to repeat the cut. A little extra time in the setup of the cut is not that big of a deal if all the subsequent cuts that are exactly like it can be run through the saw as fast as your blade can handle it.

I posted a photo of a wooden frame for a thick piece of tempered glass earlier. I use these for laying out bullets to dry when I'm tumble-lubing. It would have been a royal pain in the butt to cut that groove in the glass and the tongues on the end and have them line up if I had not had my table saw.