MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saws

Moderator Emeritus

Table saws

I am in the market for a decent low end table saw. Something that can handle a half sheet of plywood without my having to add supports on the side. Been look at the Grizzly saws and this one and the one just below it in price caught my eye http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...ce=grizzly.com Yes I can probably get a contractor saw cheaper but this is going to be in my shop, not being moved around. Anyone have any experience with them?

I dont have any experience with grizzly products.

My experience is mostly with a Jet xacta saw. It was a 3 hp saw and it was strong. We ran it professionally for 10 years, replacing the bearings in the arbor 3 or 4 times. It ran great. It was 1000.00 10 years ago... but is twice that now. Personally, if you dont want a contractor saw, i'd look on craigslist for a used Jet.

I have currently a ridgid R4512 contractor saw. Its really nice. The power aint there like it was with the jet, but if you dont cut a lot of hardwood you couldnt tell the difference. I cut a lot of ash 1" thick, and i have to take my time, whereas with the jet I could run it as fast as I could push. It runs good though, smooth, and I really like it. It has at least one feature that the jet didnt, that I like. The riving knife is not part of the guard. I never run a guard, but i love a riving knife to keep the wood from pinching the blade.

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-R4512-...dgid+table+saw I got mine from the local home depot for just at 600 with tax. I've seen used ones for 350 or so.

Moderator Emeritus

I live in the boonies so Craigslist is out, never much listed unless it is junk or so old I won't be able to get parts to make it like new. That Rigid has some bad reviews with trunnion issues and it seems to be a random chance you will get a lemon...

I didnt know that Mary. I didnt do much research on it before I bought it. I have only been using it a month or so. The blade moves up and down and tilts very smooth. Guess we'll see if that changes.

Boolit Master

MaryB,

I used to live in Bellingham, Washington where Grizzly start as "Grizzly Imports" in 1982. When they first started the quality was typical of imports from China, better than nothing but not by much. Over the years they have steadily improved the quality of their equipment. I would not hesitate in buying a table saw from them. I have an old Delta Rockwell from the early 70's that I feel is still the standard for a good table saw. I have several friends that have Grizzly's and they are very happy with them. I did buy one of their Bridgeport style milling machines in 2004 and it turned out to be a very good machine and still is today.

Jay

Boolit Master

A cabinet maker buddy of mine has the exact Grizzly saw. I've played with it, ripped, dado's, etc. It's a nice piece of equipment, I especially like the fence. I have a Rigid table saw and I'd trade in a heartbeat and I have no complaints with the Rigid saw.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    I have that exact same saw,have had it in my hobby shop for several years,it's a fantastic saw, hook it up to 220v and I challenge you to stall the thing. Fence is dead on accurate get it set up correctly and no more measuring at every cut. Only had one issue and that I had to re-tighten the belt after the initial set up and tightened it tighter than the manuel calls for,no more slippage. I am in Pa. and went right to the store in the Lycoming mall to pick it up,they have since moved out of Pa. I'm ticked. I just purchased a Grizzley metal lathe and had to pay shipping, and could not go and see and operate the machine before purchasing.

Grizzley has a fantastic product for the money , don't hesitate on that saw.

Boolit Grand Master
    MaryB

Even a half sheet of plywood can be awkward to handle. I made my benches about 1/2" less in height than the table saw and use them as outfeed tables. I do not like using "helpers" to handle large items as I think it increases the risk for an accident.
    Don Verna

Once you decide on the best table saw for your application...you are going to have to get up to speed on blade types...

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entri...ble-saw-blades

dverna hit it on the nose about take off tables...you will not get by without one and a helper on the take off side will get you both hurt...especially the operator. That blade can eject lumber like a boolit.
    An adequate take off table will double as a layout and assembly area.
    I put an 8' long by full width of the saw table behind my Delta, covered in melamine...it's slick, besides the addition of a table saw, that take off table has been the star of the shop...everything happens around that area. You can do figures or drawings in pencil and it wipes off with windex...don't think a take off table will get in the way.

Don't safety up with gloves...ever. It's the quickest way to get a digit pulled into the blade...especially when you think you have the saw figured out.
    Last edited by OS OK; 06-01-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I have a Grizzly contractor saw I bought almost 20 years ago. Just this year I needed a new motor. It has been a good saw and followed me around on a few military moves. It even spent some time outdoors under a tarp. I am happy with my other tools I bought from Grizzly (joiner, sander and planer.)

I have a workbench up against the back of the table saw to use as an out feed. I have run many full sheets of plywood and MDF through the saw by myself (the long way). If I cannot make a cut with the table saw, I use a circular saw and straight edge.

I have a Delta contractor's saw I bought new about 20 years ago and would buy it again if the shop burned down. I don't anticipate wearing it out in my lifetime​. And I have worn out high end Forrest blades on it.

Boolit Master
    i bought a sears pop of the line....when it broke the motor carriage while trying to set an angle cut.

i put it in a dumpster and bought a powermatic ....it runs great, holds its value ....i've never been sorry.

Boolit Master
    IMO an old used Delta Unisaw would be a better option than a new low end saw. Those rascals just don't wear out. I'll second the advice regarding an outfeed table, especially if cutting sheet goods. Make it as big as your shop space permits, you'll thank us later.

The table saw is the centerpiece of any shop, IMO, and is not the place to cut corners or go cheap.

Boolit Master
    I have a very old Unisaw, got lucky on it through Craigslist. Upgraded to a biesmeyer fence and changed the belts over to the linked style...that's been 15 years ago now, hasn't needed anything except blades since.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Delta Unisaw, made in 1968. Bought it used in 1988. The only problem I had with it is that the original motor burned up one of the windings, would start but no power. Local shop said no parts were available, it was an old 1725 rpm motor, 1 Hp. Ended up purchasing a new 3250 rpm motor, 1-1/2 hp, new belts and pulleys. Could have bought a new craftsman, but I still wouldn't have the quality. I have ripped a 4'x8' sheet of plywood down the middle, by myself, but I had lots more room in my shop then. The original fence is not the most accurate, but I make it do. Still I wouldn't trade it or sell it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    I have that exact same saw,have had it in my hobby shop for several years,it's a fantastic saw, hook it up to 220v and I challenge you to stall the thing.
    You obviously have never met my wife.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Bub
    In the school district where I teach Industrial Arts (shop) some of our teachers have bought the Grizzly brand machines for their programs. I have looked at them and feel that they are well built; and would fulfill most needs a person would have in a home shop. I have a mixture of equipment in our school shop. I am still running all of the original Powermatic and Delta equipment when the school opened in 1963. I have added newer Powermatic, Jet, and Delta machines to the inventory over the past 25 years since I've been there. I have also acquired used equipment from garage sales/swap meets for student use as well (Heaven help me when I retire!). My point being is that any well built piece of equipment you obtain can do great things once it is properly tuned up. I tend to lean towards older equipment myself, since I got my experience on similar machines. If you enjoy tinkering, working on older machines is one option, and it can be rewarding to get them back in running order. Spare parts can be a problem, but the internet is a resource to use for that. Good luck on your ventures, whatever route you decide on.

Moderator Emeritus

Outfeed table is in the plans, I do not like having someone move wrong and wreck a cut or a blade! And I am well familiar with kickback! Saw a 2x4 go through 2 layers of drywall then embed in the third 20 feet across the room.

I do small projects only, no massive furniture so I do not need a massive saw. I have worn out 3 low end contractor no-name saws over the last 40 years! Now that I have a permanent shop I want a saw I can roll into place(yes I will put it on a caster platform) and use without having to fight with bad fences, blades that are not true... last saw I never could get the blade run out decent enough for finish cuts.

Tinkering is fine but lack of sellers is a problem. I am 90 miles from the nearest metro area over 90,000 people and 125 to the Twin Cities. I do not handle long distance driving well anymore with my torn up spine. Local Craigslist had nothing but one ancient piece of rusted junk I could not even identify as a saw. Mostly the low end big box store contractor saws without the wide fence rails for cutting ply.

I have retired for good, other than building some smaller pieces for local sales via CL. I am not going to advertise, not going to take orders... if I have a piece in stock to sell fine, if not oh well. Just something to keep me occupied more during winter when I am not busy in the garden. Maybe add a few bucks to the pocket now and then. I might combine it with my love of brewing and make some mash paddles and flight serving paddles, and maybe a nice custom 6 pack crate for gift beers...

Boolit Bub
    You are correct about kickback. When I student taught at Blaine High School (northern suburb of the Twin Cities), the mentor teacher had on permanent display an oak coffee table top with another piece of hardwood sticking right through the center. The smaller piece of wood was kicked out on either the large table saw or wood planer (can't remember which) and sailed halfway across the shop to which it stuck into the oak top that was standing up against the wall. I would hate to think what could have happened to anyone that was in the path of that projectile.
    Last edited by Paf; 06-04-2017 at 08:42 AM.

It's a good saw. I'd spring for it! I've a big powermatic I bought a decade ago, but wouldn't hesit 5 to buy a grizzly. Jet and Delta pretty much made in same Chinese factory. And the grizzly folks hav3 good customer service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast