MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand issues from hell

M1 Garand issues from hell

So I've been on again off again trying to figure out cast in one of my Garands. I'm to the point of giving up cause I'm tired of scraping lead. What am I doing wrong or what haven't I tried that might work.

I've tried commercial cast 311299 sized to 0.311 with severe leading. I've tried self cast 311299 COWW sized to 0.3105 in my Lee sizer with TAC X lube and I just tried today powder coating with no luck. Leading on the last two options was less but still present.

I will admit that my PC was a bit flaky so that might have been my issue this time out.

The only thing I haven't tried is sizing to 0.309 OR trying a different rifle.

My load is IMR 4895 at 33 gr with about 3/4 grains of dacron filler. If I continue I plan to up the charge to 34 or 35 with the filler.

Can anyone that has been successful shooting cast in a Garand help me out please? I honestly thought PC was the answer as it seems to have worked in my M1 Carbine.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

I've had good luck with 311284 sized to .310 in 6 different M1's, multiple different commercial lubes, multiple different powders, currently using H4895, a little heavier load than you are. All mine were gas checked though.

I have never used any kind of filler in any loads, guess I have read to many horror stories of ringed chambers with fillers. Total round count is in the several thousand and have never had leading.

In the Carbine I shoot a fairly hard cast bullet bevel/plain based sized .310 and what ever commercial (Saeco/Lyman/RCBS) lube is in the sizer. Never had leading issues.

Are you using gas checks?

Boolit Buddy
    Never had leading with PC. Also wondering about gas checks.
    Try PC again, but follow the baking instructions carefully (time and temp requirements vary with type of PC). Flaky PC is no good for rifle velocities.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It sounds like you are doing just about what I do for the M1 Garand: Air cooled Lyman 311299 or 311344 from a Linotype or Lyman #2 alloy. Alox lube, copper gas checks, sized to .310" all over 36 grains of a non canister 4895. I've never had an issue with this formula and the velocity of 1,800 to 1,850 is right at the sweet spot for a 1 in 10" twist barrel. Good accuracy, full function and no leading has been the hallmark of what is generally a pretty standard cast bullet load for the M1 Garand.

You've tried oversize bullets and powder coating so I wonder if your barrel has an issue that's stripping lead from the bullets. Also, are you expanding your case neck internal diameter to at least .307" or .308." If you are using the standard expanding ball that comes with most dies, you may only be expanding to .305" or so and thus your neck tension may be defeating your best efforts at a .310" or larger sizing. Just a guess.

One question: Is the leading at the throat, near the muzzle and the gas cylinder or along the length of the barrel?
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-01-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    So I've been on again off again trying to figure out cast in one of my Garands. I'm to the point of giving up cause I'm tired of scraping lead. What am I doing wrong or what haven't I tried that might work.

I've tried commercial cast 311299 sized to 0.311 with severe leading. I've tried self cast 311299 COWW sized to 0.3105 in my Lee sizer with TAC X lube and I just tried today powder coating with no luck. Leading on the last two options was less but still present.

I will admit that my PC was a bit flaky so that might have been my issue this time out.

My load is IMR 4895 at 33 gr with about 3/4 grains of dacron filler. If I continue I plan to up the charge to 34 or 35 with the filler.

Can anyone that has been successful shooting cast in a Garand help me out please? I honestly thought PC was the answer as it seems to have worked in my M1 Carbine.
    I think you are pushing it too fast

you have to use a gas check for rifle rounds

Instead of going Faster --- how about going slower

try 28g or so of 4895 and work up to app 32g

are you ac or water dropping ?

if you have a barrel on the large size .310 might be too small

if it is too slow / not enough powder it will not pick up next round or not eject
    a bit of dacron will speed it up a bit and lower es/sd
    slower = less likley to lead the barrel

work up till groups open up -- then back it down to where you got your best groups

Boolit Master
    I find with my Garand that I have to stay at or below about 1900 fps to avoid problems. Could you be pushing too fast? My max load is 34 grains of IMR4064 behind a lee C309-200, sized to 0.309, gas checked, and lubed (1900 fps). With this or slower I see no leading after over 100 rounds. Some sources say that you should not go over about 140,000 rpm with lead alloys, and in a 1:10" twist this happens at 1940 fps.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Make sure your case neck isn't sizing your boolit down when you're seating it. .311" boolit over that powder charge shouldnt be leading the bore.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Need some more info . Where's the leading at in the barrel ? You using gas checks?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Sorry guys I always forget some important info.

Gas checks: YES
    Crimp:just enough to close the flare
    Leading location: muzzle end of gas cylinder, muzzle of barrel (the best I can tell none in length of barrel) , gas lock threads, gas screw (where you normally scrap carbon buildup.)
    Neck expansion: used a Lyman M-die at 0.311. *I have a NOE expander plug at 0.312x0.308 I can use next.*
    Alloy:COWW air cooled

I can see no readily apparent nick or burrs at the muzzle nor did I notice leading at the throat BUT I will double check the throat tonight.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

So it looks like I have four to five more variables I can adjust. This really gets my science based mind working hard in the mornings.

In no particular order:

Size to 0.309
    0.312x0.308 expander plug-crimp to close flare only
    Water quench boolits
    Redo PC test
    different rifle

Then you have these in too many combinations.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with Ford D..........you are pushing too fast, especially with the Dacron filler. Start at 28 gr and work up to 32 gr in 1 gr increments. Scharfschuetze doesn't use a Dacron filler which is why his load does well with several more gr of 4895. The Dacron filler is the difference. I prefer to use the filler.

"Leading location: muzzle end of gas cylinder, muzzle of barrel (the best I can tell none in length of barrel) , gas lock threads, gas screw (where you normally scrap carbon buildup.)"

Classic indication your lube is depleting itself in the barrel and isn't doing it's function toward the end. I'd suggest a change to White Label (Lar's) 50/50 or 2500+ lube. Or try a coat of LLA o your bullets after sizing and lubing with TAC X. Not too heavy a coat and let it dry thoroughly.

A .31 M die is correct.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Agree with Ford D..........you are pushing too fast, especially with the Dacron filler. Start at 28 gr and work up to 32 gr in 1 gr increments. Scharfschuetze doesn't use a Dacron filler which is why his load does well with several more gr of 4895. The Dacron filler is the difference. I prefer to use the filler.

"Leading location: muzzle end of gas cylinder, muzzle of barrel (the best I can tell none in length of barrel) , gas lock threads, gas screw (where you normally scrap carbon buildup.)"

Classic indication your lube is depleting itself in the barrel and isn't doing it's function toward the end. I'd suggest a change to White Label (Lar's) 50/50 or 2500+ lube. Or try a coat of LLA o your bullets after sizing and lubing with TAC X. Not too heavy a coat and let it dry thoroughly.

A .31 M die is correct.

Larry Gibson
    Thanks guys. Larry I again forgot some info. The last batch of uncoated boolits I used had TACX AND Ben's liquid lube which had reduced leading.

So should I continue with .3105 sized air cooled COWW boolits, use either a different lube or the combo I mentioned above in this post but start over with reducing loads from 28-32 and the dacron?

Boolit Master
    What does are your bore/groove measurements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    What does are your bore/groove measurements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with about 15-16 BHN and gas checks for low to mid range rifle.

Boolit Master
    Aggie,

You say you are having problems "with one of my Garands." What works in your other Garands? What are you using for boolit metal and are you water quenching?

I have several Garands and all like my wheelweights and a dash of tin dropped from the mould to a bucket of water. I size .309", use IMR4895 and a gas check with Alox lube. My best cast boolit is the Lee 312, 185RN.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys. Larry I again forgot some info. The last batch of uncoated boolits I used had TACX AND Ben's liquid lube which had reduced leading.

So should I continue with .3105 sized air cooled COWW boolits, use either a different lube or the combo I mentioned above in this post but start over with reducing loads from 28-32 and the dacron?
    That's correct. Just a suggestion would be to add 2% tin to your COWWs. It does improve the alloy, increases the BHN and will cast better quality bullets.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lyman 314299 sized to .311 (my bore is a bit worn), pc, over 25 grains imr 4895. no leading at all. when you get bad leading with a gas check, think that the boolit is sized too small. had a similar problem in a Winchester big bore 94 (.375 Winchester). even a thousandth or so can make a big difference.
    also, I don't think you need a filler in that load. don't know if it would contribute to leading, but I know I don't use one in mine, and it shoots fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Aggie,

You say you are having problems "with one of my Garands." What works in your other Garands? What are you using for boolit metal and are you water quenching?

I have several Garands and all like my wheelweights and a dash of tin dropped from the mould to a bucket of water. I size .309", use IMR4895 and a gas check with Alox lube. My best cast boolit is the Lee 312, 185RN.

Adam
    I haven't tried any of my others yet. Honestly I'm using a rack grade CMP winchester until I can get a load worked out. I too have the Lee boolit you speak of but haven't tried it yet. It seems I have much more work to do in order to get where I need to go.

What is you COAL with the Lee 312-185?
    Last edited by AggiePharmD; 06-02-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Boolit Master

I use a lyman 314299 sized to .311 (my bore is a bit worn), pc, over 25 grains imr 4895.
    Dogmower, is that load operating your action?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast