Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

View Poll Results: How Much Lemi, How Long to Tumble?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/4 tsp Lemi

69 44.81%
  • 1/2 tsp Lemi

32 20.78%
  • 1 tsp Lemi

32 20.78%
  • 1-1/2 tsp Lemi

6 3.90%
  • 1 Tbsp Lemi

13 8.44%
  • More Lemi

2 1.30%
  • 30 Min Tumble

8 5.19%
  • 60 Min Tumble

13 8.44%
  • 90 Min Tumble

16 10.39%
  • 120 Min Tumble

50 32.47%
  • 180 Min Tumble

30 19.48%
  • Longer Tumble

15 9.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lemi Shine - How Much, How Long

Arrow Lemi Shine - How Much, How Long

I've been reading a lot of threads on wet tumbling, hoping to fine tune for the best/easiest results. The one common denominator for almost everyone seems to be Lemi-Shine (or citric acid), but the the quantity used to seems to vary a lot.

Curious to hear what you think is the correct amount, and if you think/know there are ill effects or just plain wastage from using too much.

Same for how long you tumble. I'm sure that experience has told you how long is enough to get the maximum shine, and how long is just a waste of electricity/wear on the machine.
    Last edited by 308Jeff; 05-31-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Mold

I use a 1/4 tsp Lemi-Shine in each container on the Harbor Freight tumbler. Usually get great results with 120 minutes or so. Have used twice that on old nasty rifle brass however. Hope this helps.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I use 1/4tsp and only a few drops 2-3 of Dawn in my F.A.R.T, I just turn the dial to 3 hrs and walk away. If the brass is really dirty I run it for an hr and change the water. If the stopped unit sits a long time I turn it back on for a little while before removing the brass. I fill my water to the top , just below the end cap.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 06-02-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added amount of water

Boolit Buddy
    1/4 tsp for 90 minutes and a few drops of dawn, I tried more Lemi shine and it made no difference

Boolit Buddy
    I have been experimenting and learning with SS tumbling lately. With the help from guys on these forums. My recipe is 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon ArmourAll wash and wax, 1/4 of Lemishine. So far good results. Tumbled in a Frankland Arsenal tumbler for 1 hr.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Um, unless you put an amount of H20 you are dumping it into you will get no accurate solution to your poll.
    one man dumping 1/4 tsp into a quart container another man dumps 1/2 tsp into a gallon...
    Same with the time to clean enough - do you have a large drum turning fast or a small drum turning slow?
    You need specific's

have you looked at this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-brass-cleaner
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, so I forgot to mention the water, sorta thought it was assumed you were using water in SS tumblers. LOL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I found when I moved that the quality of water had some small affect and it seems time dependent on what quantity of citric is to much.

I settled on 1/4 t to 1/2 t, one glob of wash and wax (one to two T) in about one gallon hot tap water for 30 minutes in a Thumblers works very well with my water quality. Shorter run also does less case mouth damage to the brass which I like.

YMMV

GD

Boolit Master

Using harbor freight machine, filling container approximately 3/4 full with brass, top off with water, I then use the smallest Dipper I've gotten with my Lee dies (about 1/4 tsp) for lemi shine.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBaxter View Post
    I use a 1/4 tsp Lemi-Shine in each container on the Harbor Freight tumbler. Usually get great results with 120 minutes or so. Have used twice that on old nasty rifle brass however. Hope this helps.

Rich
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Um, unless you put an amount of H20 you are dumping it into you will get no accurate solution to your poll.
    one man dumping 1/4 tsp into a quart container another man dumps 1/2 tsp into a gallon...
    Same with the time to clean enough - do you have a large drum turning fast or a small drum turning slow?
    You need specific's

have you looked at this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-brass-cleaner
    I took that into consideration, and probably should have included it in the poll/question.

I know there are many options when it comes to tumblers, but I had the FART in mind as it's probably the most prolific among this group.

Boolit Buddy
    I use citric acid (same thing), but I don't tumble with it. I soak brass for 15 to 30 min in boiling hot water, ¼ tsp per 2 liters, plus a drop or two of dawn. Stir periodically.
    Often don't even need to tumble, brass comes out clean and shiny. Rinse well!!!!! last rinse I add wax to the water.
    Citric acid is very active in hot water so keep an eye on them every 5 min to check for red colour indicating zink being leached from the brass.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

12 lb lortone =1.5 of lemi, squirt of blue coral, 4 oz simple green degreaser, 5/8+/- full brass then finish filling with water. Perfect every time.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

1/4 tsp, capful Armor all carwash to a gallon of water. I'm using it in a Harbor freight ultrasonic for about 30 minutes. If especially dirty I prewash in a bucket with Dawn first.
    NRA Benefactor Member

At the suggestion of another poster (Bayou52), I tried 1/4tsp of Lemi and 1 ounce of Turtle Zip Wash and Wax last night. Ran about 800 pieces of 40 S&W in the F.A.R.T. for 3 hours.

Man... Not only is it shiny, clean, and spotless, it has a totally different "feel" to it. Very smooth and sleek. The wax angle is legit.

I'm sold.

Boolit Master

I use 1/8 tsp Lemi, 4 drops Blue Coral W&W, in each HF drum, 2/3rd to 3/4 full of brass, 1/2 cup m/l SS pins. Most cartridges tumble for 2 or 2 1/2 hours. Except .45 auto. For Winchester 45 brass, 3 1/2 hours. Any less & the primer pockets don't get clean in Winchester 45 brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    I use citric acid (same thing), but I don't tumble with it. I soak brass for 15 to 30 min in boiling hot water, ¼ tsp per 2 liters, plus a drop or two of dawn. Stir periodically.
    Often don't even need to tumble, brass comes out clean and shiny. Rinse well!!!!! last rinse I add wax to the water.
    Citric acid is very active in hot water so keep an eye on them every 5 min to check for red colour indicating zink being leached from the brass.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    GrayTech,

I think there is some misunderstanding in your post. Lemi-Shine may have citric acid in it but it is not 100% citric acid. In fact, the actual ingredients are listed as trade secrets on the MSDS. The box says, "Made with real fruit acids, natural citrus oils and sodium bicarbonate." Lemi-Shine is an additive to the citric acid. Your concentration of citric acid is pretty low and that is probably why it's taking so long. If you were adding Lemi-Shine to a citric acid solution then it would be enough Lemi-Shine. When I treat brass with citric acid I heat the water to about 160 degrees F. I add about 2 tablespoons of citric acid and a dash of Lemi-Shine to a gallon of water and at 160 degrees and the action is pretty much instant. I see little improvement after 5 seconds but generally leave the brass in for about 2 minutes while stirring it in the solution.

I have never seen citric acid remove zinc from the brass. The red/pink color is revealed because corrosion has already removed the zinc. If it is smooth I tumble the brass after it's dry. If there is pitting in the pink areas I consider the brass to be scrap. Once polished in a vibratory polisher the pink color disappears.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Well that's interesting. We all know that baking soda is a mild abrasive, so I'm sure that probably adds some effectiveness to wet tumbling process.

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    At the suggestion of another poster (Bayou52), I tried 1/4tsp of Lemi and 1 ounce of Turtle Zip Wash and Wax last night. Ran about 800 pieces of 40 S&W in the F.A.R.T. for 3 hours.

Man... Not only is it shiny, clean, and spotless, it has a totally different "feel" to it. Very smooth and sleek. The wax angle is legit.

I'm sold.
    Congrats on your great results, Jeff. Well done!

Just for everyone's benefit, you can cut your wet tumbling time by at least half by pre-soaking the brass overnight in hot water and laundry detergent (I use Tide). If your time permits, of course. No need to add Lemi-Shine or citric acid to the pre-soak.

A jeweler couldn't put a brighter shine on the brass!

Pic:

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Squirt of Dawn and 1/4 tsp lemoni shine to a gal of water.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast