RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do to strip varnish off Walnut stock?

Boolit Master
    looks like a nice stock! I love those older stocks , reminds me of slower and a more simple time period with some woolrich mixed in.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Nice work.
    I use broken glass for scrapers, easy and zinging sharp an old cabinet maker showed me that trick.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Mold
    Just get a pack of box cutter blades for scrapers, I've been using them for 40 yrs now. Use them with out the handle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a NIB Browning 1895 reproduction that I "bought right" because of shop wear inflicted by metal hangers on a wall display. Being OCD afflicted I would like to refinish the stocks to new condition. The problem is that the wood finish Moruko uses seems to be impervious to conventional strippers. Have any forum members tackled this problem and if so what did you use? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

I make my own scrapers and have scraped a few stocks but for me it is slower than using stripper and if you are doing it for money, well time is money. The advantage to scrapomg is if done right all you need to do is start in on fine sandpaper and finish it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of ways to skin a cat. They all work, I just prefer the furniture scrapper. I can do a whole stock in less time than chemicals. I end up with dry wood uncontaminated with whatever the stripper is made from. Takes out all the minor dings and scratches, too.

Stripped my Rossi stock today in the kitchen sink in about 5 minutes with Purple Power cleaner from the auto parts store. Sprayed it on and the stuff melted right off. Little scrubbing with a brush, cleanup with Dawn & warm water, rinsed w/warm water, towel dried, dried a couple hours in the sun. But Rossi's aren't known for awesome finishes.

No idea what the wood is though. Gonna lightly sand it, some color w/Fairtrimmers, then 50/50 BLO/turpentine.

Banned
    To All,

Personally, I've found no gunstock finish that the generic citrus stripper from Home Depot won't remove.

I had a recent nice surprise when I refinished a really "doggy-looking" stock on a 760 Remington pump-rifle. Under all that spray "color shellac" finish was really PURTY grain & a piece of NICE American walnut.

I used MINWAX furniture finish in RED CHERRY & ended up with an "expensive-looking" finish on the stock.
    (Inasmuch as the rifle cost me about 125 bucks, I'm pleased clear down to the ground.)

Note: My "cheap pump-rifle" is the one that will go to JES to reappear as a .400 Brown-Whelen Improved. - The .400B-WI is a ballistic twin of the well-regarded .404 Jeffery.
    (IMO, it's difficult to beat a "dangerous game rifle" with scope for less than 400 bucks.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 08-08-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123