RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Combustible Cartridges. What's Your Method?

Boolit Master

Combustible Cartridges. What's Your Method?

I'm totally new to this and have been searching and watching videos trying to come up with a method or mix thereof that will be quick and efficient.

Seems most are rolling cartridges for 44 revolvers which is apparently historically correct.
    Well I only have 36s so I had to play around to find the proper wrapping dowel.
    Come to find out the Noodlers Ink Nib Creeper fountain pen I use daily was almost the perfect size.

So I grabbed some cheapo 99cent cigarette papers and using the angled wrapping method and nothing but the glue strip that comes with it I wrapped up some tubes.

If I used FFFG I might need a little filler to keep the ball closer to the cylinder throats. However I want to experiment with some Pyrodex RS because I have a surplus of it and no other use right now.
    If that's the case then I should be fine with just powder.
    This is a 1.9 Lee dipper of RS and a .375 round ball for a test.
    I like the angled rolling method because the tail on the narrow end had glue exposed and can be folded over in one neat thin layer leaving hardly anything to burn through for ignition. Seems this was a major concern for some people and not for others. I figure it can't hurt.

What is your method of prep? Anyone twist both ends of a tube and call it a day? It would be fast and some youtubers like it and have no ignition issues.
    Anyone use a different paper?

Boolit Master
    Looks good! I only make them for 44cal but with non-violent house rounds, top with corn meal to seat the ball out to the mouth, card wad and a lube wafer to keep fouling soft. I twist both ends and cut the tails off, store my 44 cartridges in 45acp brass to protect them. When loaded, the action of ramming the ball home splits the narrow end in the chamber, so no ignition problem and almost total combustion of the paper. Your neat fold at the narrow end will very likely achieve the same. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I was never a big fan of using cigarette papers for cartridges because they are coated in flame retardant. But to each his own.

Boolit Master
    Manufactured cigarettes are required in several jurisdictions to use so-called "fire safe" cigarette papers. Loos leaf cigarette papers are not.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys.
    After some shooting with the new cap and ball i realized it just doesn't tackle my fancy. I'm going to be selling off my cap and ball revolvers now.
    Ah well that was short lived. Back to S&Ws

Boolit Master
    I for one think you did a BANG- pardon the pun -up job for a first timer!!! sorry to loose you, thanks for sharing a great idea with us!!!

Boolit Master

Well thank you for that.
    I think I will play with these cartridges for some front stuffers. Just to save time with measuring. They seem pretty handy.

I did have luck and most of the cartridges lit off first time. I did have one nipple that seemed to hang up and foul a bit which led to needing a second cap. I wonder if maybe it had a burr on the inside causing a restriction.
    I decided to sell off my 1858 and my older GU Marked Navy Arms 1851 and keep the new 1851 handy for another range trip or two. It's just too beautiful to let go of

Boolit Master
    When I make them I use woman hair rolling papers & a glue stick to bind the paper to getter. The hair rolling paper are much cheaper.
    Some guys soak them in kno-3 water solution & dry them, but I don't.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Fly, dumb-but what is kno-3 water solution? probably something so simple, but i just don't know?? never heard of it?

Boolit Grand Master

I used nitrated paper for mine also mine were for a muzzle loader and Sharps paper cutter but the nitrated papers burn completely with no left overs in the breech or chamber. I made my rolling mandrels from wood dowels and sanded to the required sizes.

Boolit Master
    We used to do the same, curler roller paper too.

Nitrate can be from any number of things. kno3 is potassium nitrate. We used to use ammonium nitrate, just cause we had it around.

Boolit Master
    any one know what kno-3 water solution is? i'll ask again. apparently no ones dose so far?

Boolit Master
    has anyone tried magician's "flash paper"?

toot, KNO3 = potassium nitrate. Some tree stump/root destroyers are ~98% KNO3 if you need a source.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    any one know what kno-3 water solution is? i'll ask again. apparently no ones dose so far?
    Read post #11, second line.

Boolit Master
    maybe he's confused about the water solution part.

kno3 water solution just means you dissolve the kno3 in water. Then soak the papers in that solution. Lay them out to dry. Voila, nitrated papers, with kno3.

Boolit Master

Maybe so. Add the KNO3 until it won't dissolve anymore and then heat it a little to dissolve a little more and use that solution with the paper of your choice. Most say that it isn't necessary when using the hair curl roller papers.

Boolit Master
    We did use the ammonium nitrate with hair curler paper. It worked well.

Boolit Master
    thanks guys. yes it was the water solution that i wondered about. MAVEN, thank you for the reply. dondiego, sorry i missed post #11 line two. I guess I had a senior moment, not that it is an excuse. as i just have never used papers be fore, as by now you can assume I have not. but i sure am going to give it a try now. again thanks to all who helped me out.