Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Military rifle hunting and an 8 year old

Military rifle hunting and an 8 year old

Well guys this is a mixed thread in this particular forum. My 8 year old will hunt whitetail for the first time this year. He hasn't shot center fire much and I'm having difficulty making up mind which way to go. One option is a Browning BAR and score in .243 with H4895 reduced loads of jacketed bullets OR one of my bolt rifles such as my 1903. Shots wpuld be under 125 yards for sure.

I'd probably load my Lee 312-185 sized to .311 and use the Harris 600 years target/hunting loads. For powder I've got 2400 (18-21 grains), 4064 or 4895.

The main question is will any of these have felt recoil greater than a reduced load 243?

Also would this cast boolit need to be water quenched if using straight COWW with a touch of tin for fill out?

Finally if not using the 2400 what charge ranges for 4064 and 4895?
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

An 8 yr old would be better served with the scoped BAR .243 from a steady rest. 80 gr factory equivalent loads will drop a deer with insignificant recoil in that heavy gas op rifle. Practice a lot and it wouldn't be a bad idea for the kid to take a doe first.
    Good hunting! Thomas.

243 check hornady site for youth loads. I used 90 gr hornady for the GKs weatherbys I'd probably stick with jacketed, less to figure on the hunt.
    edit: chaperoned a youth hunt with ~ 20 kids, like 8-15. I think one had an 06, rest were 243. All but 2 (oldest didn't as he got the flu and stayed in the tent the last day) got deer, several pigs. Kids did the butchering and IIRC all were one shot kills. All 100 yd shots with some tracking. All were tested for marksmanship @ 100 before they could hunt. IIRC, 2-3" @ 100. All were shooting factory loads. Deer were 130-170# texas WT. Largest pig was ~ 230#
    Last edited by popper; 07-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Good on you for getting the boy out into the field.

My 8 year old will hunt whitetail for the first time this year. He hasn't shot center fire much and I'm having difficulty making up mind which way to go.
    I don't want to come off as a curmudgeon and I don't know the actual capabilities of your 8 year old but have you had the boy out for small game hunting with a .22RF yet? I've taught a state hunter safety course for several years, and I've got to say that 8 year olds have always had issues with safety during the field test portion. Factor in a youth's susceptibility to the cold on a frosty morning and its degradation in dexterity and accuracy, a large and heavy service rifle for his size and...

Just saying.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I want to say BAR .243
    Also makes me smile as we just found a picture of me at 8 shooting dads Remington 513T with RedField Peep and Globe sights.
    I won that match at 8! And have a picture to prove it. Man was that gun big for a kid my size

Boolit Grand Master

Stock fit will be more important than cartridge. Larger cartridges can be loaded down, but if the rifle is too big for him it won't matter, it will hurt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Be sure and post pics.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

your gonna get the same velocity's from the 2400 as you will with the 4895 or 4064.
    you just do it with 18-19grs of powder instead of 29-30.