Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for elk season

Banned
    well shes grouping with that heavy dose of powder! My first 3 shots was with me taking a 12 o clock aim due to the bright sun making it hard. The next 3 in the bulls eye were with 6 o clock hold once the clouds moved in and covered the sun.

It shoots aprox 2 - 2 1/2" high with 90gr olde eynsford.

I also melted 17lbs of soft lead pipe today and made ingots. I have to cast a bunch for rendezvous on the 11th, so that will be nice to have ready to go.

Perma-Banned
    Have you ever shot a Maxi type bullet in that rifle? Oh wait that's a Traditions right? Never mind! LOL, I wanna see a 100 yard group with the Traditions hawken and a Maxi Ball

Boolit Master
    Guys chill out, please. I know Ron cares about clean kills & most do. But Ron no one can tell some one else how to hunt if it
    is LEGAL. Chill out my friend.

Fly

Banned
    everything is good Fly.

54bore, yes I have. I shot some 385gr hornady great plains and 250-320gr REALs out of it, along with 160gr thor sabots. Excellent accuracy, just not my cup of tea at the moment.

Spent over 2 hours and 8lbs of lead in the shop, casting pure lead .490" round balls. I am a tired puppy.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    everything is good Fly.

54bore, yes I have. I shot some 385gr hornady great plains and 250-320gr REALs out of it, along with 160gr thor sabots. Excellent accuracy, just not my cup of tea at the moment.

Spent over 2 hours and 8lbs of lead in the shop, casting pure lead .490" round balls. I am a tired puppy.
    How did the 385 Hornady Great Plains shoot in your rifle? Excellent accuracy mean 1/2" @100 6" @100 elaborate

Perma-Banned
    They have a Hollow point right? I tried some of them in my fast twist Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal, They shot good, i remember they Grouped to the left of everything else i tried up to that point for some reason? I'm not fond of a Hollow point bullet for hunting. Just in a pistol on my nightstand!
    Last edited by 54bore; 06-03-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Banned
    Picked up a new hunting shirt while at Bents old fort the other weekend. I really like the green and tan mix, I think it will do well this fall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9408.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	199552

Boolit Master
    Well your going to do as you see fit. But Ron & Boz330 have more time hunting these animals than any. Bob spent many
    years as a guide in northern NM. Bob is also a great shot as is Ron. I,m just saying when these fellows speak I listen.

JMOHOP Fly

Banned
    If I wanted to use a conical, I'd use an inline.

Banned
    Man this thread brings a smile to my face as I sit here in camp waiting for the evening hunt. So many opinions by those that have never shot an elk with round ball. Only those that destroy elk shoulders with huge conical and waste so much meat.

The other day I called in a 4x4 bit due to the thick pines and aspens, no shot was available.

Elk are everywhere this year! Bad part, 2 miles in and over 3 mountain crossings. A real nice butt scratcher lead bull, but will not answer to a bugle or cow call. He has 20 plus cows with him.

I'm all finished hunting, but my dad still has a doe tag and cow tag. Brother also has a cow tag.

I already know a .490 round ball does a clean job on elk, just makes me wonder about that 300gr powerbelt platinum my dad is using! Hopefully he can at least get his doe.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Man this thread brings a smile to my face as I sit here in camp waiting for the evening hunt. So many opinions by those that have never shot an elk with round ball. Only those that destroy elk shoulders with huge conical and waste so much meat.

The other day I called in a 4x4 bit due to the thick pines and aspens, no shot was available.

Elk are everywhere this year! Bad part, 2 miles in and over 3 mountain crossings. A real nice butt scratcher lead bull, but will not answer to a bugle or cow call. He has 20 plus cows with him.

I'm all finished hunting, but my dad still has a doe tag and cow tag. Brother also has a cow tag.

I already know a .490 round ball does a clean job on elk, just makes me wonder about that 300gr powerbelt platinum my dad is using! Hopefully he can at least get his doe.
    I've never seen a bull lead the herd ever???? If he's a bigun usually runs dead last, you know put the women up front to draw fire
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    He's the king of the valley lol. He was chasing the gals and moving them around. He went 5th to last when they left.

Boolit Master
    Trying to get me into a fight with you I see. Nice try Hopefully a moderator will see your attempt to draw out a fight and remove you like you were kicked off the other forum.

Boolit Master
    QUOTE***I'm all finished hunting, but my dad still has a doe tag and cow tag. Brother also has a cow tag.

UNQUOTE]

it sounds to me like you have no faith in your dads choice for bullets. If I had no other choice of a shot other than straight thru the shoulder blade, I would much rather shoot that powerbelt, than a dinner pea.

Boolit Master
    Speaking of conical, I have taken a ton of white tails deer with the Hornady Great plains in .50 an .54, always did a fantastic job for the most part, along with TC maxi Hunters and Lyman Plains bullets I molded. I shot one big doe, @ 35 yds, perfect double lung, she ran 70 yards and piled up, big exit hole. I shot her out of a herd of 8, they ran across the field to my brother in law, where he shot another one, she ran about 50 yds, with PRB and 90grains of 2ffg, again double lung. The PRB, had a much bigger exit hole, and double blood trails. I was impressed and learned something that day. 8 years later, a friend had taken several deer with his .40 longrifle, and PRB, with 60 grains of powder, all shoulder or lung shots, short blood trails, most never made it out of sight. In our late either sex ML season in Dec. her in KY, I had one deer tag left out of4, and was hunting in the woods and around a old grown up homestead here locally, had been daylight about2 hours, sun getting up high, and here came 8 does out of a bedding area I was watching, the lead doe a big one. She stopped looking for acorns in a flat, and I was siting on log, against a high bank, I took my time, and settled the silver blade in the buckhorn sight, on her shoulder facing me, in the meaty part, touched off the set trigger, and at the crack of the rifle she made a big lunge, wheeled around and ran 20 yds back uphill, piled up, DRT! The little .395 roundball, had went thru both shoulders and exited, and both lungs. When I gutted her, damage was equal to a .243 100gr slug, again a learning experience. While tying this, I pulled out my journal, and I have taken 44 deer with Conicals, best I can figure, from 25 yds to 165 yds, in traditional rifles, factory TC Renegades and Hawkens, and a custom .45 fast twist, 1-18, that I built, with stellar results. Bottom line, I used to think Conicals/Maxi's were the only thing to use, came a long way since then, by being open minded, and reaffirmed, that knowing your gun and loads, its and your capabilities is the most important part in this discussion. Every gun and person is different, each one of both have different abilities and levels of performance, and you can learn new stuff every day, being open minded is invaluable in life, and hunt the way you like, that gives you the satisfaction from the experience you desire!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Speaking of conical, I have taken a ton of white tails deer with the Hornady Great plains in .50 an .54, always did a fantastic job for the most part, along with TC maxi Hunters and Lyman Plains bullets I molded. I shot one big doe, @ 35 yds, perfect double lung, she ran 70 yards and piled up, big exit hole. I shot her out of a herd of 8, they ran across the field to my brother in law, where he shot another one, she ran about 50 yds, with PRB and 90grains of 2ffg, again double lung. The PRB, had a much bigger exit hole, and double blood trails. I was impressed and learned something that day. 8 years later, a friend had taken several deer with his .40 longrifle, and PRB, with 60 grains of powder, all shoulder or lung shots, short blood trails, most never made it out of sight. In our late either sex ML season in Dec. her in KY, I had one deer tag left out of4, and was hunting in the woods and around a old grown up homestead here locally, had been daylight about2 hours, sun getting up high, and here came 8 does out of a bedding area I was watching, the lead doe a big one. She stopped looking for acorns in a flat, and I was siting on log, against a high bank, I took my time, and settled the silver blade in the buckhorn sight, on her shoulder facing me, in the meaty part, touched off the set trigger, and at the crack of the rifle she made a big lunge, wheeled around and ran 20 yds back uphill, piled up, DRT! The little .395 roundball, had went thru both shoulders and exited, and both lungs. When I gutted her, damage was equal to a .243 100gr slug, again a learning experience. While tying this, I pulled out my journal, and I have taken 44 deer with Conicals, best I can figure, from 25 yds to 165 yds, in traditional rifles, factory TC Renegades and Hawkens, and a custom .45 fast twist, 1-18, that I built, with stellar results. Bottom line, I used to think Conicals/Maxi's were the only thing to use, came a long way since then, by being open minded, and reaffirmed, that knowing your gun and loads, its and your capabilities is the most important part in this discussion. Every gun and person is different, each one of both have different abilities and levels of performance, and you can learn new stuff every day, being open minded is invaluable in life, and hunt the way you like, that gives you the satisfaction from the experience you desire!!!
    when I get done with the conical experimenting, then i will switch over to round ball and see how well they shoot.

Boolit Master
    I just had to jump in cause of last winters late season buck ,83 ranged yds with my slow twist TC 54 .Came out and started to feed with a 6 pter and 4 doe
    (he was a nice 8) .He was quartering towards me and I shot thru the close shoulder to get some lung which I did and then watched him join the rest and ran off to the neighbors woods (leg was broke and swinging ). The point is if not for snow it would have been a all day job finding him as there was not a drop of blood anywhere in an open field .Even watching him and knowing it was right where I meant to shoot him I was surprised to see him go running off with the others like it even hurt . I watched him go another 80 + yds across the field and disappear in the woods ,45 min later I found him piled up against a tree ,after sorting out that dragging foot from all the fresh track and all that time no blood until I was looking at him and only then .Seems that the entry hole was high (head down) and I was in a tree ,near leg shattered and found the ball under the hide behind the shoulder . The load was 80 grains 2F Goex under the ball ,and you can see what the ball weighed and the condition ,at that yardage I guess I like more weight as in 3-400 grain as this could have been a lost deer and I like exit holes .And this was a mature deer (nice rack ) he only weighed 136 lbs ,guess what I am saying is a elk is way more animal and ball placement would be more like arrow placement in my humble opinion !
    Attachment 204135Attachment 204136
    Last edited by Edward; 09-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.

NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I've got no dog in this fight . . . err . . . parlyvoux you guys are having . . . but I am curious about one thing. If this is a "tradition hunt" . . . . how are you communicating with the forum? By cell phone and internet? My hunting pouch doesn't have a pocket in it for those new fangled things. LOL

Sorry . . couldn't resist!

Banned
    yup a cell. I love staying connected. At home now, exhausted and still have a lot of meat to cut and package up tomorrow.

I'll get pictures later tonight I hope. That shower looks so danged inviting right now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast