Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Accurate Molds 36-265B For Black Bear

Boolit Master

Accurate Molds 36-265B For Black Bear

Hoping to take a Va. Black Bear this up and coming season with one of my 358 Win's. Was wondering if anyone has tried this bullet, I have an older Jap. made BLR, and a M77 Ruger Stainless both with 20" Barrels. The heaviest 35 cal. bullet mold I have at the present is the RCBS 35-200 and drops most at 214gr. Was looking at Accurate's 36-265B and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of its cycling capaboolitry in either of the two rifles. And if I'm REAL LUCKY!! I might pick up a few performance stories to boot. Jim

Boolit Bub
    This is Accurate Mold owners design for the BLR. I doubt the bear or you will notice the 30gn difference. And since he designed it for his/your rifle, I'd expect some great R & D went in to it.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-235A-D.png

Boolit Master
    I saw this Boolit design as I looked through the catalogue, Mis-Stated above I said drops 214gr meant to say 214gr checked & lubed. The RCBS 35-200 I shoot now will probably do the trick at 2200 + fps. Just thought I'd buy something heavier & prefer something tried & proven. Heard some pretty good things about Accurate Molds. Maybe someone has another suggestion heavy with a fairly large meplat,open for suggestions. Jim

Boolit Master

that 235 looks like a good one.

Boolit Master
    I have to agree with both of you but I want to go a little heavier. Jim

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kobeinu View Post
    This is Accurate Mold owners design for the BLR. I doubt the bear or you will notice the 30gn difference. And since he designed it for his/your rifle, I'd expect some great R & D went in to it.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-235A-D.png
    REALLY good looking bullet!! Gotta love that BIG wide Meplat, they hit like a sledgehammer

Boolit Master
    That meplat is very similar to the one one on the 36-265B, there's only a .005 difference, wider on the 235. Think the slightly narrower nose might be an asset for the Ruger. Thanks for the comments and opinions. Keep them coming, many heads are better than 1. Jim

Boolit Master

I have a few of Tom's brass molds and can say that you won't go wrong with any of his products. I do really like the looks of the referenced mold and agree that the wide meplat and extra weight over the 35-200 is a good idea.
    That said when I got my chance to go after black bear in eastern Canada a couple of years ago I opted for the 35 Whelen and the old heavy Lyman 3589 boolit. I believe a WFN boolit is better than the old 3589 and its RN design. However I wanted to use the 300 plus grain 3589 just because. When the time came to pull the trigger, it did the job in spades. Like any successful hunt, a lot is dependent on boolit placement. Mine so happens was one of the times when everything fell into place and the sixty yard shot between the second and third rib turned out his lights pretty quickly.
    I like have Tom's design 36-270B and it would have been a better choice for me, but not what I wanted to use. I would buy the mold you want to use and practice practice practice with it until you are proficient with it at 10-100 yards. Then pray for the chance of a perfect boolit placement. You will be eating bear meat because of it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    smoked turkey; Congrats on that successful trip to Canada!! I really like the thought of plenty of weight and nose on the larger critters. Have seen videos of bears go from ground 30yds. away to in the tree with the hunter in a flash! So placement, penetration, & if needed follow up creates its own little comfort zone. Jim