RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charge!!!

Boolit Bub
    It will probably be winter before I get around to doing any PCing. Just wondering if anyone notices better coverage/easier coverage in the static months? It has crossed my mind to use a well fitted lid and toss the bowl(without bullets) in the dryer with some static inducing material. Might be overkill, just a thought. But the whole static everywhere thing certainly increases in the wintertime here

You've gotta video this one...guaranteed to go viral!
    It won't be the container breaking open but...your wife's response as she kicks you to the curb! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    LOL! Truth is, in winter time here, the powder will jump out of the bowl coat the bullets and every other surface. Thanks for the nudge there OS OK.

Quote Originally Posted by second chance View Post
    LOL! Truth is, in winter time here, the powder will jump out of the bowl coat the bullets and every other surface. Thanks for the nudge there OS OK.
    That's interesting...I immediately thought to myself that was due your your winter being 'cold and dry' but then I noticed you are down there in the 'tropics'...what are your winter conditions?
    Being raised in Texas I assume that the summer is hot and muggy w/ plenty of rain in between, right? Is that when you have the most trouble?

I guess I should start a post dealing exclusively with 'weather and PC'ing casts'...we might accidentally identify some 'fixes' that are not wives tales!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Bub
    Os Ok, we have four seasons, three hot ones, and one cool. HaHa! During the cool time though, static is amazing. You can't put enough dryer sheets in the dryer to stop it. Also, when polishing with a muslin buffing wheel, you can make audible pops and sparks when touching the machine. I assumed it would be worse up north, or even in dryer conditions. Of course, we have the only river(that I know of), that flows north. If asked to explain the static, I'd probably look at the huge rivalry between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Florida Gators.
    Last edited by second chance; 11-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.

This is why i love PC.

We try

And never stop giving updates on break throughs
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

I just tried to take my container and rub it in circles on some hard Styrofoam. After about a minute or so I could start feeling the hair on my arm stand up. Pot is warming up. I have to cast a bunch and the powder coat. See if it makes any differance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I tried a method I saw on youtube. I heated the boolits to around 140 degrees for 4 min. then put them in the bowl, gave them a 5 second shake and had perfect coverage.
    this vid was by "elvis" something. he also said in another vid to shake the bowl w/the powder b4 adding the slugs. been doing it ever since.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Master

While I have not been powder-coating very long, my experience so far leads me to the conclusion that most problems related to powder coating bullets have to do with humidity/moisture and the quality of powder used. I'm using Smoke's clear and have no problems whatever because I do the powder coating part in my air-conditioned, dehumidified basement. I keep the unused components down there too, including the boolits, and take things necessary into the basement to do the work, though I keep the powder in the basement. Don't even use the proper numbered containers to shake my cast boolits around. I use an empty 2 lb cannister that had gunpowder in it with # 2 on the bottom. From what I have read and watched videos, recycle containers with # 5 on the bottom provide optimum static electricity for coating. My results so far are perfect with # 2. I use the BBs Smoke sold me but they don't seem to add that much to the process. I just dump a bunch of boolits into the container, put in what seems an appropriate amount of powder, screw the lid on and shake for a little while. I do allow the stirred up powder to settle down in the container before I unscrew the lid to take a peek at progress. If boolits look coated adequately, I gently pour out the entire contents onto the mesh tray that came with my Cousineart convection oven. I say gently pour because I don't want to stir up that stuff in my basement. The powder and BBs fall through onto a piece of cardboard. I gently shake the tray around to get rid of any excess powder coating, place the mesh tray in the pre-heated oven for the proper amount of time and I'm done. I dump the unused powder back into the # 2 cannister, not back into the original powder container. For me it seems that low humidity is the key to the process. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Big Boomer, throw in under/over cured PC and contaminated bullets to the problem list and you would will have covered the vast majority of PC troubleshooting tips.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123