Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 1895 .35 WCF yeeeha

Boolit Buddy
    The Win 95's are neat guns,mine is in .303 British 28" pipe.Darkish bore but still shoots VG. I thought if it ever kicks the bucket I'd have it re-bored to .338-.303 British and run 200gr bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have a 95 in .35mine is a takedown. I made brass for mine from.444 brass. with that case you some times have to swage the head soe times not. I also have a 95 in .30-40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Hello, I don't know if this thread is still active but I would love to see a good photo of your Lyman manual on the 35 WCF. My sons and daughter and I all 6 use a '95 in 35 for our timber elk hunting rifle. Any "new " load data is very welcome!!
    Thank you for your help.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    I have a couple in 30 Army, one a flatside, a 405, and the half dozen 35's. The sheer knockdown power of that round is diproportionate to its actual ballistics!! I am on the lookout for another 35 for my youngest son, he will be of hunting age soon.
    For those of you that use a receiver sight - what are your likes / dislikes about them? Several of our 95's came with Lyman, Williams type included but I removed them in favour of a Marble's semi-buckhorn.
    Another question: I came across a small quantity of 250gr soft point bullets some time ago that have a long profile and round nose. I see the same in a box of original ammunition I have from 1903. Any idea where one could procure these? All of my 35's seem to like them, and performance on game has been tremendous!
    (the attached photo has some "newer" original loads with the bullets I'm referring to - other cartridge has a 200gr load for reference)

In Remembrance
    You do know you can click on the photo and enlarge it don't you? I imagine you do, but just in case. lol

Boolit Master
    Awesome! Great cartridge. If not already noted above, Ken Waters did a 1990s piece on 35 WCF. I have a 35 Krag which is very, very similar. Would love to exchange load data one you get going. In an 1895, it's more 358 Win than 35 Whelen but a great elk and black bear round.

Boolit Master
    I think Bob Hagel also did an article on the .35 Winchester, which covered case forming, loading and hunting with it. Can’t remember if it was in Rifle or Handloader.

I got my 95 in .35 Winchester because I figured it was the most versatile caliber offered. Plinking loads with cast boolits, “varmint loads” with .357 Magnum jacketed bullets, all the way up to the full-house loadings with my stash of Herter’s 250-gr roundnoses, where the ballistics are close enough to the .358 Winchester that it’s doubtful that the game would complain that it wasn’t shot enough.

A sadly under appreciated caliber. Cases can be made from Hornady .405 brass, necked and trimmed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    You do know you can click on the photo and enlarge it don't you? I imagine you do, but just in case. lol
    Yes. But the data blurs out when I enlarged. Thank you though!

Boolit Buddy
    How much work is it to form cases from .405 Win ?

In Remembrance
    Yes. But the data blurs out when I enlarged. Thank you though!

That is weird, my eyes are nothing great, but I can (barely) read it when enlarged.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    That is weird, my eyes are nothing great, but I can (barely) read it when enlarged.
    You're right - I looked on a laptop, easily read. Apologies!

Boolit Master
    I had 50 pieces of new Hornady .405 brass. As best I recall, I had an old .375 H&H sizing die in the Miscellaneous pile, and used that to start the mouth reduction process. I set the die deep enough so the mouth of the case was about .35 caliber. Then I ran the cases through the .35 Winchester sizer with the expander/decapper removed. Then I cut them to approximate length, ran them through the sizer again, this time with the expander/decapper inserted, and trimmed them to the final length. Then I annealed them, mainly because I felt guilty for not having done so in the first place.

Didn't lose a case, and haven’t after at least five reloads each. That Hornady brass is good stuff.

For important jobs like this, it’s Imperial Sizing Wax all the way.

I recall that Hagel necked up .30-40 brass to make slightly short cases. The .405 revival was years in the future then, but he said that the cases made from Krag brass worked fine.

I have a couple in 30 Army, one a flatside, a 405, and the half dozen 35's. The sheer knockdown power of that round is diproportionate to its actual ballistics!! I am on the lookout for another 35 for my youngest son, he will be of hunting age soon.
    For those of you that use a receiver sight - what are your likes / dislikes about them? Several of our 95's came with Lyman, Williams type included but I removed them in favour of a Marble's semi-buckhorn.
    Another question: I came across a small quantity of 250gr soft point bullets some time ago that have a long profile and round nose. I see the same in a box of original ammunition I have from 1903. Any idea where one could procure these? All of my 35's seem to like them, and performance on game has been tremendous!
    (the attached photo has some "newer" original loads with the bullets I'm referring to - other cartridge has a 200gr load for reference)

I've been remiss in keeping up on this project, a bit of a pleasant time sink training the 'the pup', field tests and the like. I just need more spare time is all. Surely I don't want to reduce the number of hobbies?!

Anyway.

Cwtebay, just curious how your '95s do with the 200 gr versus the 250 gr? The 1:12 twist on the 95's should like a heavier bullet than the .358 Winchester which I've seen referenced as having a 1:16. Likewise, I'm wondering if that little 200 gr is playing nice yet with the 1:12.

On the other end of the spectrum, the question of how light a bullet will this beast still keep tight. Not that it is likely to edge out a 6mm for varmit popping range/accuracy.

Will keep an eye out for the 250 RN. So far, I haven't found it in a mold for cast, and though it has been a while now, I don't recall seeing a jacketed offering yet either.

News when there is some!

Nick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ANick57 View Post
    I've been remiss in keeping up on this project, a bit of a pleasant time sink training the 'the pup', field tests and the like. I just need more spare time is all. Surely I don't want to reduce the number of hobbies?!

Anyway.

Cwtebay, just curious how your '95s do with the 200 gr versus the 250 gr? The 1:12 twist on the 95's should like a heavier bullet than the .358 Winchester which I've seen referenced as having a 1:16. Likewise, I'm wondering if that little 200 gr is playing nice yet with the 1:12.

On the other end of the spectrum, the question of how light a bullet will this beast still keep tight. Not that it is likely to edge out a 6mm for varmit popping range/accuracy.

Will keep an eye out for the 250 RN. So far, I haven't found it in a mold for cast, and though it has been a while now, I don't recall seeing a jacketed offering yet either.

News when there is some!

Nick
    ANick57 - I had a great deal of difficulty coming up with a load when I first started down the 35wcf road. I tried 200, 225, 250, oddball grain cast.... Finally I started on a two piece box of Winchester ammunition that I had for display - voila!!! The 250gr long round nose was the ticket! Alas, the only maker of the beast is Woodleigh, which I love but my pocket book groans. I have 8 rifles chambered in 35 WCF now, and the rifling rate is 1:12 in all but two of my 95's (1:10 inch the others, which I was told was a change in the mid teens). The 95's will all group in a half playing card at 100 yards, the Remington Lee a bit better, and the repro Browning 95 ca 1980's I had rechambered is best at 1.5" consistently (1:12 rate) I would like to find a mould that would mimic the Woodleigh ogive / contour / length but have not thus far. As an aside; I bought out all of the Kynoch 35 Winchester ammunition I could find when it was discontinued a bit back and found it to be loaded with the Woodleigh and the performance is spectacular!!!
    Does anyone know of a production mould that is close to the Woodleigh? A munitions buddy figures that the 1:12 would best fit a spitzer at around 2600fps - a velocity that I have not been able to attain but should be awe inspiring with the lighter Barnes bullet.
    I look forward to hearing the replies from the cast gurus!

Boolit Buddy
    FYI. QuickLoad has data for the .35 Win.

So, if you have the measurements for case water capacity in grains, the bullet, OAL, trim length etc, QL can calculate some loads using modern powders.

Modern powders? What are these modern powders of which you speak?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Think I saw an inquiry as to which receiver sight we prefer on the Model '95.

While the "Climbin' Lyman" is what is usually seen on a Model '95 receiver, I prefer the Lyman 41.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12