Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the 550B

Thoughts on the 550B

I've been thinking about the 550B lately and I had a few ideas. First, it is most likely the best compromise between a true progressive and a turret press. You, the operator, controls the advance speed. You can halt it, inspect your loads and make adjustments. Double charging is tougher to do since you and you alone control the advance.

Another thing, the 550B is like the T7 inverted. Think about it. On my T7 I load a shell and size-deprime. I then rotate the turret, prime and expand. Then I rotate the turret and powder. Then I rotate the turret and seat/crimp.

On my 550B, I add a shell and size/deprime. I rotate the shell plate, powder and expand. I rotate the shell plate and add bullet/seat and crimp. Then I rotate the shell plate. remove the old case and add a new one.

The systems are remarkably similar in action. Now the 650 or the LNL are a whole different beast. Lots of "automatic" stuff going on that you have to watch carefully. It takes some getting used to.

So my thought is this: the 550B gives you a slight edge in speed over the T7 but the T7 gives a much bigger range of die combinations.

In either case, I would use the Hornady LNL case activated powder drop over the Dillon measure any day. No rods, cams or charge bars. Just a lot simpler in set up and operation.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    I began my reloading odyssey some 20 years ago with a 550b, still have and use it although most of my calibers have been moved over to my 650. It is, without a doubt, a fine machine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    none better for a progressive

Boolit Grand Master

The T7 doesn't even compare to a Lee Classic Turret let alone a 550B. The T7 is a single stage press w/ a bunch of dies on it. The Lee has the advantage of auto indexing which really speeds up operation. But it's still multiple pulls for a loaded round. Now the 550B may not auto index but it performs multiple steps at once. Which means one pull equals a loaded round, give or take the few extra at the beginning and end.

Both the LCT and 550B give you a huge advantage in speed over the T7. The 550B comes out on top but the LCT still smokes the T7. You can't compare to a non-indexing turret to one that is and a progressive. They're all in a different class.

My personal opinion is that the 550B is an extremely versatile press. But setup and loading primer tubes takes time. For production runs of say 200+ rounds it's great. But for small runs the LCT is a better option. Takes less time to setup and w/ the safety prime you dump primers, shake, and get to loading. You have to account for all time when loading. Not just the time pulling the handle. I won't get into the monetary advantage of the Lee press over both because it's far cheaper to keep lots of turrets setup.

Regardless, use what works best for you. I have a bunch of presses, and have owned a bunch more. The LCT and 550B get used the most. The others are relegated to single functions like push through bullet sizing.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is easier to double charge on a 550 than on a auto-advance progressive. Plus it is difficult to add a powder check on the 550 unless you combine crimping and seating on one die station.

Having said that, I have a 550 and soon will receive another. I have a 1050 too and that gets the most use.
    Don Verna

Banned

Since I prime off the press I get good results with my 550s or my LCTs or any of my other presses. I don't have a T7 yet, but it would be significantly slower than either a 550 or a LCT.

Boolit Master

re: Thoughts on the 550B

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post

So my thought is this: the 550B gives you a slight edge in speed over the T7 but the T7 gives a much bigger range of die combinations.
    Huh? What caliber can you load on the T7 that you can't on the 550?

You need to re-think your "Thoughts".
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned
    I can't even begin to estimate how many tens of thousands of rounds I've loaded on a 550B. It's an outstanding machine !

I've used the 650 and 1050 and still think the 550 is a better machine.

I prefer the manual index. Less to go wrong and easier to fix something if it does.

As for double charging a casing; it's really hard to do if you're paying attention. If I must stop for some reason while reloading I always leave the handle lowered (ram all the way up with the casings in the dies). That makes it nearly impossible to double charge a case when you resume loading.

My only complainant about the 550 is the primer system. It's a small annoyance but changing from small primers to large primers is a bit more work that it needs to be. As a result, I tend to only convert it to large primers occasionally and then run big batches through before switching it back to small primers.

If I ever get around to building a larger reloading bench I'll probably buy another 550B and set one up for small primers and the other for large primers.

Well Kevin,
    I can run a sizing die, a powder die, an M die, a Vickerman seating die and a Lee crimp die on one side of the T7 Then on the other side I can run a whole different caliber. Or, with a tad bit of lathe work I got one side of the T7 set up for loading 12 gauge brass Paradox slugs ( Thx Buckshot) and the other 32-20 On another tool head I've got .375 Win and on the other side, 38-55 Ballard. That's what I meant. Can't do that on my 550B. Granted, the 550B is a tad quicker when doing huge batches of handgun rounds but for rifle, I usually weigh the charges so the 550B gives me no real advantage.

My point is this, you can rotate the tool head or the shell plate, both systems work petty good.

Oh, 45-110 or 45-140 even 45-90 are not too 550B friendly
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    My only complainant about the 550 is the primer system. It's a small annoyance but changing from small primers to large primers is a bit more work that it needs to be. As a result, I tend to only convert it to large primers occasionally and then run big batches through before switching it back to small primers.

If I ever get around to building a larger reloading bench I'll probably buy another 550B and set one up for small primers and the other for large primers.
    All you really have to change is the primer magazine tube and the primer cup. No need to disassemble the entire priming system. Check out this guy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

I read the original post before anyone else had responded. I wrote a "dissenting opinion" and then decided not to post it. Seems that I was not out of line with the other responses.

I see little comparison between the 550B and a turret press that only loads one cartridge at a time. The OP makes it sound like he is only loading one round at a time and removing it before starting the next and if so he's running at 20% efficiency by the time he removes the loaded cartridge. The 550 and 650 are not that different other than auto-indexing and the addition of one more die position.

I also see no advantage to the Hornady powder measure. It is a typical drum rotor measure. The Dillon offers exceptional accuracy with all but the fluffiest flakes and largest sticks, the same powders that give trouble in any measure. I find the Dillon pretty good on fluffy powders if the charge is above 5 or 6 grains and far better than my Uniflow which is similar to the Hornady on powders like H4895. All measures adjust by screwing something in and out, trial and error until they're where you want them. The Dillon measure offers the same level of accuracy as my Chargemaster Combo with most powders.

A friend that was loading his ammo in my room insisted on weighing each charge of Varget until I convinced him to throw and weigh a few on the Dillon. He was amazed that none were more than 0.1 gr off and most were dead on.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    Changing from small to large primers or vice-versa isn't a huge problem but it's enough of a pain that I try not to do it on a whim.

The majority of my pistol cartridge reloading involves small primers, so it's not that annoying. I use toolheads that are dedicated to cartridges so changing calibers is pretty quick unless I need to change priming size as well.
    Mind you, I'm not saying it's a big problem - it isn't. I'm saying I wish the design of the priming system was a tad more modular. Like maybe if it slid into a dovetail and was locked by a simple spring loaded pin instead of two Allen screws that thread into an aluminum block.

I think the Dillon 550B is an incredible press and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Boolit Grand Master
    These threads are eye openers and important to newbies. We have people who prime in a separate operation or weigh charges commenting on the merits of a progressive press.

It seems rather counter productive to defeat the advantages of a progressive press if that is how you intend to reload. My little pea brain dies not comprehend it.

I use a Co-ax for rifle load development and to assemble rifle ammunition that must have the best accuracy. For pistol and plinking rifle ammunition, not using a progressive press as intended boils down to three reasons....one, the press will not prime reliably....two, the reloader does not have a single stage press....three, the reloader is anal.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    My 550 does everything I need it to. Manual advance is a little slow, but I know each and every reloading session will be headache free and have almost a 0% rejection rate. With the Lee Loadmaster I started out on, I ended up with a 7% reject rate due to priming issues.

While I would love to have a 650 with case and bullet feeders, I find it a little hard to pull that wallet out for a new machine and all the associated tooling to duplicate my current capabilities.

Maybe If I shot more, it would be worth while to upgrade.

Boolit Master

Kilroy,

Slightly off topic since the OP asked about a 550 but . . . IMO there is no point in having a 650 without the case feeder but the bullet feeder is a lot of money for the benefit so there is some potential for savings if you pass on the bullet feeder. I agree; thought about getting another 650 and selling my 550 until I looked at the cost of caliber conversions to match what I have for the 550. I have a lot of conversions that are not used frequently but I still want to be able to load on a progressive for those cartridges. Even after selling the conversion kits I have the cost difference to buy 650 conversions would have been about the same as the cost of a 650 with case feeder. The 550 is extremely versatile and much less expensive to convert to other cartridges than the 650 so I decided to keep the 550. I only use the 650 for my high volume loading such as .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .223. I can easily load 300 .40 S&W in 20 minutes on the 650. it would take considerably longer on the 550. I can generally load about 500 pistol cases/hr on the 550. I don't feel like the manual advance is a factor but the case feeder is a big help.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Anyone notice that Dillon is out with a 550-C ? Looks like the 550-B is an older variant now
    Being human is not for sissies.

First, it is most likely the best compromise between a true progressive and a turret press.

Another thing, the 550B is like the T7 inverted.
    I guess so, if a vehicle with a manual transmission is the best compromise between a true automobile and a bicycle.

A progressive press is one where, with one pull of he handle you are doing multiple operations at the same time. So once all stations are full you get 1 ready to fire round per pull.

A turret is one where you have to pull the handle multiple times, actually once for each operation, in order to have a single completed round.

Anyone notice that Dillon is out with a 550-C ? Looks like the 550-B is an older variant now
    The C doesn't do anything the B can't, except it will be less likely for people to confuse it with the BL.

They changed the frame though, they also changed the frame on the 650 too, they felt no need to change the designation on it.

[QUOTE=omgb;4059855]I've been thinking about the 550B lately and I had a few ideas. First, it is most likely the best compromise between a true progressive and a turret press. You, the operator, controls the advance speed. You can halt it, inspect your loads and make adjustments. Double charging is tougher to do since you and you alone control the advance.[QUOTE]
    The 550 is a true progressive, it is just manually advanced. The definition of a progressive is it delivers one finished round with each pull of the handle as the rounds "progress" thru the press.
    I run a 550 & 650, I use the 550 more because it is easier, faster & cheaper to swap calibers.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I have 2 550's and a T-7 with 3 tool heads and both are very useful for different functions, the 550's for reloading and the T-7 for case prep for all of my rifle cartridges. As already stated the 550's perform 4 reloading functions with each where the T17 is one function per stroke.

Best press for the money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast