Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor On A Break Barrel Air Rifle

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Even a suppressor that is built with weaker materials so as to act as a deterrent to using them on actual firearms can be used on firearms at least once; if it can be successfully mounted to the barrel.

The DIY suppressor I have in mind is strictly for air guns and has baffles made of heat resistant rubber material that not only act as baffles but also act as vibration dampeners within the walls of such a suppressor. Since sounds come in frequency waves they can be absorbed or further muted somewhat with the right materials. This type of material used for a baffle stack would surely get distorted and blown out under the pressures of an actual center fire firearm.

I hate the fact that no matter what line of reasoning is used regarding the legality or illegality of building and/or using of air gun suppressors, at any given time someone within the ranks of the powers-that-be can simply determine for themselves what's right and what's wrong. Even with a long or short litigation process that comes out in one's favor, nothing will have really been resolved. The court cost alone then become the deterrent for doing something that may have been perfectly legal to begin with.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    Even a suppressor that is built with weaker materials so as to act as a deterrent to using them on actual firearms can be used on firearms at least once; if it can be successfully mounted to the barrel.

The DIY suppressor I have in mind is strictly for air guns and has baffles made of heat resistant rubber material that not only act as baffles but also act as vibration dampeners within the walls of such a suppressor. Since sounds come in frequency waves they can be absorbed or further muted somewhat with the right materials. This type of material used for a baffle stack would surely get distorted and blown out under the pressures of an actual center fire firearm.

I hate the fact that no matter what line of reasoning is used regarding the legality or illegality of building and/or using of air gun suppressors, at any given time someone within the ranks of the powers-that-be can simply determine for themselves what's right and what's wrong. Even with a long or short litigation process that comes out in one's favor, nothing will have really been resolved. The court cost alone then become the deterrent for doing something that may have been perfectly legal to begin with.

HollowPoint

Do you work for BATF? Many Air gun Manufacture sell these and Airforce sells one that is removable.
    The horse has already left the barn!

Lets see, lets use a example similar to yours.

So your out at the local ice cream shack. Unknown to you someone sees your CCW weapon. Someone is a mother with 4 small children. The cops show up and under gun point they tell you Freeze. They tell you your being arrested for threatening folks,with your weapon. You show them your CCW. It doesn't mater. Now you need a lawyer. People do lie

Because of garbage like this. We all need to give up are CCW - right.
    I think not.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

This discussion seems to have gone way off the wall.

I agree with DCP, it has already been decided and is used/made and legal!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

That is where the BATF is totally screwed up. Why did we allow that bunch to get formed in the first place?

IMO it is a double standard. Ok to have on airguns but not on powder burners.
    Why?

What does the 2nd Amendment say? "Shall not be infringed" Seems like clear cut case of infringement to me.

Those who are going to use a suppressor to break the law will use it anyway. If you are already planning on breaking one or more laws, why would you care about breaking another?

Laws like Padlocks keep the honest people honest. Lets quit pretending it is anything else. Laws are not morals, nor sound values, nor smart decisions.

So lets quit trying to legislate morals and accept that people are going to do stupid stuff.

Subscribed ... great topic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    This discussion seems to have gone way off the wall.

I agree with DCP, it has already been decided and is used/made and legal!
    Did you read the (LONG) post about several people prosecuted for making one for airguns?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Do you work for BATF? Many Air gun Manufacture sell these and Airforce sells one that is removable.
    The horse has already left the barn!

Lets see, lets use a example similar to yours.

So your out at the local ice cream shack. Unknown to you someone sees your CCW weapon. Someone is a mother with 4 small children. The cops show up and under gun point they tell you Freeze. They tell you your being arrested for threatening folks,with your weapon. You show them your CCW. It doesn't mater. Now you need a lawyer. People do lie

Because of garbage like this. We all need to give up are CCW - right.
    I think not.
    And I'm sure the makers of these have a letter from BATFE saying their suppressor is approved - if you don't get a letter of approval for your design they can say it's usable on a firearm and prosecute you - wake up
    the horse is out in the pasture but that don't mean you get to ride!
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    All I'm seeing in all of this is $200.00 to build a $15.00 suppressor for a gun that cost me a-hundred-and-seventy-bucks including shipping. Even those pre-made AirForce suppressor kits cost 80-something bucks. That doesn't count the several month wait for the tax stamp to arrive. It's all so convoluted that to me it's just not worth the effort.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from building or buying their own air gun suppressor. You don't need my permission to do so. I'm speaking only for myself and my situation. Unless you're an idiot you're not likely to every encounter legal problems concerning a homemade air gun suppressor, but if you do, keep us updated. I'll come visit you in jail but, only if you're locked up in a local jail.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 05-31-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Did you read the (LONG) post about several people prosecuted for making one for airguns?

Nope, I don't read book replies such as you put forth, not worth my time!

But I still have my own opinion!

Boolit Master

Furthermore Tom Gaylord has a horse in this nonsense. By stating it it legal for factory guns to be silenced but aftermarket is a grey area assures that companies like pyramid air and others will have a steady market for quiet guns. Those that have researched this don't fall for his protect our business blather.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

And I'm sure the makers of these have a letter from BATFE saying their suppressor is approved - if you don't get a letter of approval for your design they can say it's usable on a firearm and prosecute you - wake up
    the horse is out in the pasture but that don't mean you get to ride!
    Art try to keep up and wake up.
    I never said to make one. I bought mine from Airforce so I am sure its approve.
    With that being said if you make one with plastic parts and you cant thread it on to a firearm.
    Your safe, if not this statement would be true.
    We all need to destroy our rifles and shotguns because someone might cut them off and make a SBR or a SBS.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

All I'm seeing in all of this is $200.00 to build a $15.00 suppressor for a gun that cost me a-hundred-and-seventy-bucks including shipping. Even those pre-made AirForce suppressor kits cost 80-something bucks. That doesn't count the several month wait for the tax stamp to arrive. It's all so convoluted that to me it's just not worth the effort.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from building or buying their own air gun suppressor. You don't need my permission to do so. I'm speaking only for myself and my situation. Unless you're an idiot you're not likely to every encounter legal problems concerning a homemade air gun suppressor, but if you do, keep us updated. I'll come visit you in jail but, only if you're locked up in a local jail.

HollowPoint
    Some folks always think the sky is falling. Chicken Little the sky is falling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO04VXBIS0M

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Wow:

This thread went from an explanation of how I messed up when I cut off my air gun suppressor to how I fixed the problem to, "The Sky Is Falling".

I've seen this kind of thing happen in other posts and with other subjects. Anything said from here on out will most likely be un-helpful. It's probably best to just shut it down now before it turns into a SJW thing.

HollowPoint

Over-N-Out

Boolit Master

Wow:

This thread went from an explanation of how I messed up when I cut off my air gun suppressor to how I fixed the problem to, "The Sky Is Falling".

I've seen this kind of thing happen in other posts and with other subjects. Anything said from here on out will most likely be un-helpful. It's probably best to just shut it down now before it turns into a SJW thing.

HollowPoint

Over-N-Out
    Your the one that's taken this down hill.
    Then when your called on it you cry. Sure your not a DEM?

Just about every airgun suppressor discussion goes down hill

Because some here get suppressor on airguns and that they get them tax free

If looks like a duck a quacks like duck it's a duck
    Last edited by DCP; 06-01-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Your the one that's taken this down hill.

Then when your called on it you cry. Sure your not a DEM?
    Oh, I think both he and I would disagree on that.
    je suis charlie

Oh good grief!

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Oh good grief!

Well, it's between the BATFE and HollowPoint

It just a shame that our paid employee's (BATFE) have made this the mess that it is.
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

Why cant folks here act like ADULTS. Why do you want to make it more difficult than it is.

Your acting like the Anti-gun crowd. Over Thinking this. Way over thinking this.

Suppressor or moderators are legal for airguns they're sold TAX free

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Why cant folks here act like ADULTS.
    As opposed to being one?

So what constitutes emotional maturity, and thus adulthood?
    Here are 20 defining characteristics of a true adult:

Realizing that maturity is an ongoing process, not a state, and continuously striving for self improvement.

Able to manage personal jealousy and feelings of envy.

Has the ability to listen to and evaluate the viewpoints of others.

Maintains patience and flexibility on a daily basis.

Accepts the fact that you can’t always win, and learns from mistakes instead of whining about the outcome.

Does not overanalyze negative points, but instead looks for the positive points in the subject being analyzed.

Is able to differentiate between rational decision making and emotional impulse.

Understands that no skill or talent can overshadow the act of preparation.

Capable of managing temper and anger.

Keeps other people’s feeling in mind and limits selfishness.

Being able to distinguish between ‘needs’ and ‘wants’.

Shows confidence without being overly arrogant.

Handles pressure with self composure.

Takes ownership and responsibility of personal actions.

Manages personal fears.

Able to see the various shades of grey between the extremes of black and white in every situation.

Accepts negative feedback as a tool for self improvement.

Aware of personal insecurities and self-esteem.

Able to separate true love from transitory infatuation.

Understanding that open communication is the key to progression.

Above all, true adults do what they have to do when it is required of them, and they do what they want when they can. They are able to distinguish between the two and manage their time and efforts accordingly.
    My point (and then I'm done) is the BATFE makes the rules and breaks it's own rules, and if you want to make a suppressor / silencer for your air rifle (or buy one) then go ahead - I thank HollowPoint for putting up an interesting thread. Everyone have a great Day!
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

As opposed to being one?

My point (and then I'm done) is the BATFE makes the rules and breaks it's own rules, and if you want to make a suppressor / silencer for your air rifle (or buy one) then go ahead - I thank HollowPoint for putting up an interesting thread. Everyone have a great Day!
    Art they didn't break there own rules . They changed there rules. Really not surprising is it?
    You and Hollowpoint seem to not understand that. He will even come visit someone in the local jail.
    You dilute the thread by posting book sized post. Put on your big boy pants and play nice.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast