Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 30/40 brass

Boolit Buddy

30/40 brass

Does anyone know who makes the 30/40 brass for grafs,and how it works for forming to 38/50 and 40/60
    Thanks Bill

Boolit Master
    I heard it may be Jamison; since it is US made that limits who it might be. I fireformed 50 of Grafs in my 38-50 and it fireformed perfectly.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    Does anyone know who makes the 30/40 brass for grafs,and how it works for forming to 38/50 and 40/60
    Thanks Bill
    take a loaded 30-40 Krag round, compatible with the strength of the action/gun you are using (BP or smokeless)- see if you can chamber it in the rifle, cuz the Krag rim may be wider than the 38-50/40-60 rim ?
    If it does chamber, tie the rifle down to a bench, fire it with a string from a safe distance.
    When it fire forms, the 30 cal bullet will just rattle down the bore harmlessly and keyhole downrange.
    the next hurdle is, will it extract/eject. if it does you're in. then it's just a matter of length, if it's too long, trim it. if it's slightly shorter, subsequent firings will stretch the brass to fill the chamber.
    if it doesn't extract, knock the spent shell out with a length of fuel/brake line tubing, or cleaning rod. that would mean the extractor needs to be modified to grab the case head. if the new case head/rim is larger, it will usually extract. if the new case head/rim is much smaller, it may not.
    fire forming is way quicker than forming with dies.
    when Weatherby first created the 300 Weatherby Magnum, he had full time employees whose job was just fire forming 300 H&H shells to 300 Weatherby Magnum chambers, to make the brass. IMHO it's the best way to do a cartridge conversion.
    Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 05-29-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Graf's has had brass made with their headstamp by Prvi Partisan in the past.

The .30-40 is made by Captech/Jamison.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Ron Reed.I have been using Remington to fireform them ,I might try some

It is good brass. You'll want to anneal it, but I bet you already do that anyhow.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    It is good brass. You'll want to anneal it, but I bet you already do that anyhow.
    Before initial loading?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

If you are going to re-form it; yes I would. If you are using it for .30-40 then no.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    When I fire formed mine, I didn't anneal it and didn't loose a single case. I did anneal it afterwards and trimmed to length.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy
    Thats how I did my Remington brass in 38-50 and40-60 Maynard