Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile Dillon upgrades

Boolit Master

Worthwhile Dillon upgrades

I think most of us that have run Dillon's for a while have come to the conclusion that most of the upgrades really don't do a whole lot. But heck, I tried them any way.

I tripped over one the other day that did improve the smoothness of the press. It replaces the index cam block with a roller bearing. My delrin indexing cam is in need of replacement. I've got a decent divit where the index cam block first contacts it.

After replacing the metal block with the bearing, the action became noticeably smoother. I suspect that it brought it back to what it used to feel like. Once I replace the delrin cam I probably won't notice any difference but here's the thing. I think that the bearing will prevent any wear what so ever on the delrin cam. Its initial touchdown area is round and is much larger than the metal block. Also, the initial movement of the bearing is instantaneous.

All in all, I think this widget actually is an improvement on my Dillon 650...
    [

Boolit Master

The best upgrade to my 650 was the upgrade to the ski ramp for the unused primers. I love having them collected into a bottle instead of being launched into never never land. Second is the upgrade you've mentioned.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

One of these is a worthwhile mod on a 650 as are GSI tool head/bullet feeders.

I just put a drop of oil on the index cam while I am hitting all the other spots, haven't worn one out yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    One of these is a worthwhile mod on a 650 as are GSI tool head/bullet feeders.

I just put a drop of oil on the index cam while I am hitting all the other spots, haven't worn one out yet.
    Interesting, I think I'll try this.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

jmorris is spot on about the Timken Bearing mod, worked wonders on my 650. Also the roller bearing add on is excellent.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad to hear that mod is available Nutz. That delrin indexer is what prevented me from ever buying a 650 and another SL900 which I previously sold.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

The roller handles are pretty nice, too. I put them on my 550 and 650. They eliminate blisters that the ball handle caused in long loading sessions.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Did you just buy the bearings, or that kit the feller sells on ebay?

What about using a bullet feeding die/tube without the collater on a 550? Does that help any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    - spent primer catch (into bottle)
    - Ski jump catcher
    - roller handle

I did try one of the copper washer kits sold out there for the shell plate, but it ultimately fell to pieces. I'll give roller bearing a try.

thanks.
    js

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

What about using a bullet feeding die/tube without the collater on a 550? Does that help any?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oops, nothing to see here

I just bought them from my local bearing supply. I didn't feel the need to pay someone $20 for a $2 bearing, they stuck in a different package and renamed it "kit".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I just bought them from my local bearing supply. I didn't feel the need to pay someone $20 for a $2 bearing, they stuck in a different package and renamed it "kit".
    Help out the slow kids. What size do we need?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    Help out the slow kids. What size do we need?
    What size is the bolt you want to use it on? JMorris' picture shows you the part number. Most shops carry the same brands. Or you could measure your bolt and tell them you need a thrust bearing with an inside diameter hole you bolt will fit through. And you will need to buy 2 of those washers to go with it. The shop will know what you need.

Boolit Master
    I have the Torrington bearing upgrade and roller rod, very worthwhile one to do as is the roller handle and the ski jump fix. I also have the crud catcher for the case feeder, and Smoke's primer follower rod holder. Also the spent primer cup to hose conversion, knurled/scaled powder measure knob and put a Press Monitor III system on mine along with my own hard mounting for the micro switches and did my own press LED lighting.

I got the indexing cam roller but for the life of me it doesn't fit like it should. I get it set to contact smoothly and it won't index right, if i get it adjusted to index properly and it is so far over it contacts the cam poorly.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    My favorites:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Where did ya get that roller?
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    My favorites:

Very nice. Same question where did you get them.

Boolit Master
    Entirely Crimson
    http://entirelycrimson.com/

It doesn't look near as sexy as the $42 CNC machined billet aluminum one above but if you just don't want primers jumping off to the floor you can use a 1/2" section of clear vinyl tubing.

Banned
    My selection of upgrades may differ from what others have selected. I recently received a nice missed primer collector that includes a collection bottle and a machined piece that replaces the famous ski chute that seems to throw primers on the floor.

Also ordered was a roller assembly that activates the plate advance instead of the rod that drags along the plactic ramp. Ordered the rod with the roller bottom, brass oilite bearing, and spring and ball kit.

Never saw a need to order anything to accept the spent primers because the little collection box seems to work well.

I am in the air about the oilite bearing for the case plate verses a roller bearing and two washers so maybe I will order several roller bearings to try.

I didn't see the roller bearing Part Number in any of the threads. Would someone mind sharing the thrust bearing part number?
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 08-10-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast