Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Shot in my first pistol match this weekend.

Boolit Master

Shot in my first pistol match this weekend.

I always thought it would be fun to enter a pistol match. I used to shoot in the BPCR matches in Phoenix, but when I moved up here, I am hours away from any matches.

An indoor range about 45 miles from me has rimfire, target, and GSSF matches each week. Since I work graveyard shift, the only match available with my schedule was the GSSF indoor match. But, I didn't have a Glock.

I ended up buying a G29, which is the sub-compact 10mm, for woods carry. Great little pistol that is amazingly accurate with my reloads. Not a good choice for GSSF, I discovered...

I did very well at the shorter distances, but trying to get the pistol back on target and acquire a good sight picture at 25yds in 1.5 seconds is very, very difficult.

I shot a 468 out of 500 and was pretty embarrassed with my 30ft and 75ft groups...

But, it was fun and the range people and other shooters were as nice as could be. I'll be back for the next match next month. I may even look into a 9mm so as to not embarrass myself.

My targets:

Attachment 196500

Boolit Master

Congrats on completing your first pistol match. Birds of a feather flock together so one usually finds kindred spirits at such events.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Congratulations - you can use the same molds in 40 S&W in say Glocks

a 23 model - $469.95 used LE
    http://www.jgsales.com/glock-23-40s-....-p-89045.html

or 22 model - $499.95 with 3 mags, Used Like New condition
    http://www.jgsales.com/glock-22-40s-...w.-p-6697.html
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I bought a 40 S&W conversion barrel for my G29 yesterday, so I'll have to see how the recoil is. I was wondering how the recoil compares from the G35 to the G34... I can buy 9mm for nearly as cheap as reloading 40...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would be proud to make targets like that at 25 yards with any sort of handgun, much more a mini howitzer like the 29. I wonder if GSSF has a competitor class for the equivalent of a rodeo clown? That's about the best I can do.

P.S. You can buy new Glocks for those prices if you shop around. My local guy sells gen. 3 guns for $499.95 every day, gen. 4 will set you back and extra $30.00, pretty much the cost of the third magazine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Congratulations, enjoy

Boolit Buddy

I wouldn't sweat the embarrassment thing , I know and have seen excellent shooters that have done stpid things and blunders and no one cared , thats all part of the game.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    With that gun and that cartridge, not a thing to be embarrassed about.

Boolit Master

I ended up winning the Unlimited division and coming in 4th overall. Surprised the heck out of me...

And I got my new Lone Wolf conversion barrel and will be sending it back. Something is seriously wrong with it. Tried a bunch of different reload recipes in it and some Winchester White Box ammo and the best it could do was 4.5" at 25yds. Worst group was 7.5". With factory barrel, this pistol will do 1" at 25yds. Next match is in three weeks so we'll see if I can get it sorted out in time to shoot .40 S&W loads in Unlimited.

I also have a KKM barrel on the way that is a 4.5" 10mm. Was thinking about using it in Unlimited with loft recoiling 10mm loads. But KKM is notorious for slow processing so I'll see if it gets here with enough time to develop loads for it. Ordered it a month ago.

Congratulations, I didn't even think of barrel changes on a glock (don't own one) so is the KKM a 9mm barrel?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

KKM is a 10mm. It's about 3/4" longer. I bought it so I could shoot my cast boolits without worry and get a little more FPS for woods carry.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I ended up winning the Unlimited division and coming in 4th overall. Surprised the heck out of me...

And I got my new Lone Wolf conversion barrel and will be sending it back. Something is seriously wrong with it. Tried a bunch of different reload recipes in it and some Winchester White Box ammo and the best it could do was 4.5" at 25yds. Worst group was 7.5". With factory barrel, this pistol will do 1" at 25yds. Next match is in three weeks so we'll see if I can get it sorted out in time to shoot .40 S&W loads in Unlimited.

I also have a KKM barrel on the way that is a 4.5" 10mm. Was thinking about using it in Unlimited with loft recoiling 10mm loads. But KKM is notorious for slow processing so I'll see if it gets here with enough time to develop loads for it. Ordered it a month ago.
    Congrats on the shooting!! Lone wolf is about 3 minutes from my house, I've never been in their building. I see them guys now and then testing stuff at a sand pit where I shoot my Muzzleloaders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

I have a 9mm Storm Lake barrel in my G23 and it's as accurate as your factory barrel, using 9mm mags.
    I've had it a while, not sure what they make/sell now.
    You might want to try a Storm Lake barrel.
    here:
    http://www.storm-lake.com/products/barrel#top
    Last edited by Kenstone; 06-04-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add link

Boolit Master
    Recommend the g34. Great gun right out the box for most target/comp aplications. Will chew threw any ammo with no problem.

Boolit Master
    Having a G22 and a G35 for uspsa shooting I like the aftermarket barrels. My G22 has storm lake 9mm and 40 barrels. The G35 has 9mm lone wolf and 40 KKM barrel. I think a Glock 20 with an aftermarket 10mm would be cool to shoot 40 S&W in.

Moderator Emeritus

Shooting in matches with some really good to near professional grade shooters is one of the very BEST ways to learn things you likely wouldn't learn anywhere else. Things like tuning and maintining your gun, how to shoot faster and more accurately, and how to simply shoot higher scores, all make for a situation where what you learn, combined with the sheer enjoyment of competing and testing yourself against others, makes it MORE than worth the entry fees. I can think of no better place to learn the real in-depth nuts and bolts of shooting. Good luck to you, and ... just enjoy!

Boolit Mold
    Shooting in matches like that are one of the best ways to improve your shooting by having competition. Congrats on your first match.

I did very well at the shorter distances, but trying to get the pistol back on target and acquire a good sight picture at 25yds in 1.5 seconds is very, very difficult.
    Especially with that cannon.