Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newest toy, .303 British

Boolit Buddy

My newest toy, .303 British

Due to the recent loss of my cousin, I had the opportunity to purchase his favorite deer rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5657.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	196498

Can't tell ya how many whitetails it has tabled. It shoots jwords, very well and as far as I know has never had cast shot through it. That is about to change. Any suggestions on load /boolit design combinations would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hunting whitetail with this weapon. Thanks in advance.- CASTER.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Slug your barrel after a good cleaning to get the correct bore diameter. if it's a 5 groove roll the slug in the jaws of a dial caliper. Then go .002 over that. Lyman 314299 or the NOE version of the same mold 316299 for a fatter bullet. Enfield bore diameters can vary considerably. If .312 or under use the lyman mold. If over .312 use the the NOE mold. Better fit in the throat depending the bore size. The 314299 was originally designed for the 303 British. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Slug your barrel after a good cleaning to get the correct bore diameter. if it's a 5 groove roll the slug in the jaws of a dial caliper. Then go .002 over that. Lyman 314299 or the NOE version of the same mold 316299 for a fatter bullet. Enfield bore diameters can vary considerably. If .312 or under use the lyman mold. If over .312 use the the NOE mold. Better fit in the throat depending the bore size. The 314299 was originally designed for the 303 British. Frank
    Thanks for the input Frank. Slugging is on the agenda, and most likely some paperpatch boolits,for some bore conditioning. My Dad did a complete bore scrubbing, and it still has some light crud in the grooves.
    Never thought to look to see if it is a 5 groove , or not. Your advice is duly noted . Thanks again - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin.

I'm also a fan of the 314299 or the 316299 depending on the bore diameter. SR 4759 powers my 303 British loads with good results.

Enfields can be pretty hard on brass, so start neck sizing once you fire form your brass. That will extend the life of your brass and prevent early case head separation.

Given the fairly fast rifling pitch, my velocity sweet spot for accuracy is around 1,850 fps.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Plus one on all above. Check the headspace too and the crown! 185 lee is a great preformer to the proper size. 4198 and 4227 for faster loads, light loads of unique and tight group are fun!!!
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Great way to remember and honor your relative! I hate seeing guns get sold out of the family lineage because certain material possessions are often appreciated many years later. My wife bought her fathers hunting rifle at his estate sale for our son and had to out bid a collector and even when she ran out of money and stopped bidding her brothers kept the bidding going while they told her they were going to each add 400.00 dollars to the gun but she must buy it and she did get it for twice what it was worth but my son shot a awesome buck this past year with it and that was worth it all. So, enjoy you gun!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    CASTER OF LEAD,

It appears you have a MkIII .303 British Enfield. I have several of various flavors and have had great success with my cast boolits of wheelweights and tin, water quenched by dropping boolits directly from the moulds into a bucket of water. All were Alox lubed and gas checked and sized from .309" to .314." Powders ranged from 2400, Unique and IMR4198. I used Lyman 31141, 311467, and the spitzer #311329. Some rifles liked each or all. My best cast boolit in every MkIII has been the Lee .312, 185RN.

If you have a MkIII it will have a windage adjustable rear sight the "Military Intelligence" dropped in 1916 along with the useless magazine cutoff and rendered up the MkIII*. The metal band on the "wrist" of your rifle buttstock will advise which MkIII you have.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I inherited several valuable guns from a much younger relative who died young. Since then I've put some thought into how my collection will end up once I've passed on.
    First thing is to make sure each and every one of my guns is in perfectly safe condition.

I can highly recommend the range of CBE 303 moulds

This target with the 220gn boolit from an 1896 Martini Enfield

This data may help when selecting a suitable boolit!

According to the Small Arms Identification Series by Ian Skennerton "Magazine Lee-Enfield Rifle" Page 29

1) Lee Metford and Lee-Enfield Mk1:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length - 30.5"
    Rifling Metford - 7 groove L.H. 1 turn on 10"
    Rifling Enfield - 5 groove L.H. 1 turn in 10"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Metford Rifling Depth - 0.004"
    Enfield Rifling Depth - 0.0055
    Metford Land Width - 0.023"
    Enfield Land Width - 0.0936

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 86
    2) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 3:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at muzzle - 0.0065
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech and to within 14" of the muzzle - .005

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 158
    3) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 4 & 5:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech - .005

It would seem from this data that an Enfield 303 could be .303" over lands and a bore of up to 0.314" at the breech and to 0.316 at the muzzle.

Cheers BA
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

All my Lee Enfields like the NOE 316299 sized to 0.315".

I'll also suggest slugging but the throat not the bore. First its hard to measure 5 groove accurately without the right tools... if it is 5 groove. Second, the throat is what you want to size for.

I found that 0.315" just fits so made sure that my moulds cast over that and size back or shoot as cast. My NOE 316299 casts a hair over 0.315" with wheelweights... well, almost 0.316" and as cast just fit. Normally I gas check and size to 0.315".

Best I can measure the grooves of all my guns run 0.314".

I bought a Lyman 314299 mould but it cast at 0.312" to 0.313" with wheelweights. Maybe with #2 alloy it would gain a thou or so but still a bit too small for my guns. NOE solved that one with the 316299.

I also bought the Mihec 316410 130 gr. HP in plain base and it shoots very well from my guns.

My powder of choice is IMR4227 at up to 22 grs. under the 316299 (200 gr.). Moderate load and shoots well. I've also tried Unique, IMR4198 and IMR4895 and all worked well under a fat enough boolit.

Shoot it and enjoy it. The old Lee Enfields are great guns. I like 'em anyway.

Longbow

Banned

A quite capable rifle in a good caliber;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-record-moose

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    CASTER OF LEAD,

It appears you have a MkIII .303 British Enfield. I have several of various flavors and have had great success with my cast boolits of wheelweights and tin, water quenched by dropping boolits directly from the moulds into a bucket of water. All were Alox lubed and gas checked and sized from .309" to .314." Powders ranged from 2400, Unique and IMR4198. I used Lyman 31141, 311467, and the spitzer #311329. Some rifles liked each or all. My best cast boolit in every MkIII has been the Lee .312, 185RN.

If you have a MkIII it will have a windage adjustable rear sight the "Military Intelligence" dropped in 1916 along with the useless magazine cutoff and rendered up the MkIII*. The metal band on the "wrist" of your rifle buttstock will advise which MkIII you have.

Hope this helps.

Adam
    Thanks for your input. I was not aware of the many "flavors". I knew there were a few ,but apparently there are more than i assumed. Go figure for assumption! Lol I also was not aware of the tell tale information on the wrist band. Thanks a bunch- CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Great way to remember and honor your relative! I hate seeing guns get sold out of the family lineage because certain material possessions are often appreciated many years later. My wife bought her fathers hunting rifle at his estate sale for our son and had to out bid a collector and even when she ran out of money and stopped bidding her brothers kept the bidding going while they told her they were going to each add 400.00 dollars to the gun but she must buy it and she did get it for twice what it was worth but my son shot a awesome buck this past year with it and that was worth it all. So, enjoy you gun!
    I agree 100%. Glad the rifle you speak of remained where it was meant to be, albeit the over payment that happened. Just my humble opinion,but i think all firearms and the like should be willed to up and coming shooters,reloaders ,or even a family member that is going to keep it in the family and get some enjoyment out of it. -CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    Plus one on all above. Check the headspace too and the crown! 185 lee is a great preformer to the proper size. 4198 and 4227 for faster loads, light loads of unique and tight group are fun!!!
    Thanks for the information. Wasn't tuned in to the tightgroup,or unique loading. However I haven't had much time to explore and read. I work on an inland tug boat 28 days at a time. Currently on the water til mid June. Appreciate the response- CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I can highly recommend the range of CBE 303 moulds

This target with the 220gn boolit from an 1896 Martini Enfield

This data may help when selecting a suitable boolit!

According to the Small Arms Identification Series by Ian Skennerton "Magazine Lee-Enfield Rifle" Page 29

1) Lee Metford and Lee-Enfield Mk1:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length - 30.5"
    Rifling Metford - 7 groove L.H. 1 turn on 10"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Metford Rifling Depth - 0.004"
    Enfield Rifling Depth - 0.0055
    Metford Land Width - 0.023"

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 86
    2) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 3:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at muzzle - 0.0065
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech and to within 14" of the muzzle - .005

From book "The British Service Lee" by Ian Skennerton Page 158
    3) Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk 4 & 5:
    Barrel Specification:
    Barrel Length 25.2"
    Bore Dia - 0.303"
    Enfield Rifling Depth at breech - .005

It would seem from this data that an Enfield 303 could be .303" over lands and a bore of up to 0.314" at the breech and to 0.316 at the muzzle.

Cheers BA
    Thanks for so information. Like I posted in a response earlier, wasn't aware there were so many different types,and variations of this weapon. Appreciate the response.- CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    All my Lee Enfields like the NOE 316299 sized to 0.315".

I'll also suggest slugging but the throat not the bore. First its hard to measure 5 groove accurately without the right tools... if it is 5 groove. Second, the throat is what you want to size for.

I found that 0.315" just fits so made sure that my moulds cast over that and size back or shoot as cast. My NOE 316299 casts a hair over 0.315" with wheelweights... well, almost 0.316" and as cast just fit. Normally I gas check and size to 0.315".

Best I can measure the grooves of all my guns run 0.314".

I bought a Lyman 314299 mould but it cast at 0.312" to 0.313" with wheelweights. Maybe with #2 alloy it would gain a thou or so but still a bit too small for my guns. NOE solved that one with the 316299.

I also bought the Mihec 316410 130 gr. HP in plain base and it shoots very well from my guns.

My powder of choice is IMR4227 at up to 22 grs. under the 316299 (200 gr.). Moderate load and shoots well. I've also tried Unique, IMR4198 and IMR4895 and all worked well under a fat enough boolit.

Shoot it and enjoy it. The old Lee Enfields are great guns. I like 'em anyway.

Longbow
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I LOVE THIS site for this very reason. So so much knowledge in here it is mind boggling. I am taking notes and learning from all the support.Thanks again- CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    A quite capable rifle in a good caliber;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-record-moose
    Thanks for the link. Was a good read. -CASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin.

I'm also a fan of the 314299 or the 316299 depending on the bore diameter. SR 4759 powers my 303 British loads with good results.

Enfields can be pretty hard on brass, so start neck sizing once you fire form your brass. That will extend the life of your brass and prevent early case head separation.

Given the fairly fast rifling pitch, my velocity sweet spot for accuracy is around 1,850 fps.
    I appreciate the response ,and I use neck dies on all my rifles that I can. I agree that it indeed extends the brass life. I got about 40- 50 pieces of brass that came with it. Some factory jwords, and rest is once fires factory brass. I plan on buying some new and will work it as I do with any of my new brass. Thanks again - CASTER

Boolit Master
    I've shot just about all the factory ammo that you can get for the 303. All of the U.S. made stuff is actually undersized at the base and expansion can be very disconcerting when you extract the fired case. I've found the Privi Partisan PPU or NNY brass to be the best as it does not expand like the commercial U.S. stuff. Some of old Sellier & Bellot Czech made brass did this also. Had an old beat up P14 enfield that shot great with the PPU NNY and S&B and even the U.S. stuff. Got an offer that I could not refuse on that old rifle. Frank

....It would seem from this data that an Enfield 303 could be .303" over lands and a bore of up to 0.314" at the breech and to 0.316 at the muzzle. ....

If the bore is .303, the measurement over lands must be .303. The grooves evidently became more shallow toward the muzzle of these rifles.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast