Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Anybody running cast in the new S&W 66-8?

Anybody running cast in the new S&W 66-8?

Anybody have one of the new model S&W 66-8s?

Reason I ask is that the cylinder face is recessed where it pivots on the yoke instead of having a male boss projecting forward.

I have a 69 and an SP101 with a similar setup. The 69 works fine and doesn't gum up with bullet lube by my wife's SP101 is good for about 100 shots before it really starts to drag.

The new S&Ws have been good to me so no reason to look for a used 66 but may have to go that route if the new models gum up.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Anybody have one of the new model S&W 66-8s?

Reason I ask is that the cylinder face is recessed where it pivots on the yoke instead of having a male boss projecting forward.

I have a 69 and an SP101 with a similar setup. The 69 works fine and doesn't gum up with bullet lube by my wife's SP101 is good for about 100 shots before it really starts to drag.

The new S&Ws have been good to me so no reason to look for a used 66 but may have to go that route if the new models gum up.
    I shoot only cast lead in my 4.25" barrel 66-8 all 158 grain SWC bullets now.I did have problems with two loads using Speer swagged bullets one was with 4.5 grs. Bullseye , CCI 500 primers the other was with 4.7 grs. of Titegroup and CCI 500 primers. The Titegroup loads gummed up the works at only 25 rounds and the Bullseye loads were a little better ,both also left some lead in the barrel.It could have been the combination of weight of powder charge and Speer Bullet that I used but I never tried those powders again.

I have had great luck using cast MBC .38 Match, MBC Action both lead and Hi- Tek and Laser Cast bullets with Accurate No.5 at 7.7grs. and Accurate No.2 in the 5.1grs.-6.5 grs. range.Very clean and accurate in my 66-8.

I also have had good luck using 700X with 4.5grs.-4.9 grs.
    For very light loads Trailboss as light as 3.3grs. But 4 grs. is the sweet spot for my 66

I've tried 2400 loads with good results also ,especially 13grs. and higher anything under was not as clean.

The cleaner the load the better,I have shot over 200 rounds at a time with out any cylinder problems.The problem is because there is no gas ring on the new model and carbon builds up on the cylinder-shaft area causing binding of cylinder. I take my cylinder assembly off and clean shaft with Kroil or whatever solvent you like. I also have polished shaft with some fine polishing compound,Mother's mag polish or Simichrome works well,this helps to keep carbon and gunk from sticking.

I love shooting my 66 , it has great balance and is a great shooter.
    Last edited by Buckeye357; 05-28-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master

The Titegroup loads gummed up the works at only 25 rounds and the Bullseye loads were a little better ,both also left some lead in the barrel.It could have been the combination of weight of powder charge and Speer Bullet that I used but I never tried those powders again.
    This is interesting. I've never experienced that issue. Was that with the latest design of S&Ws? Powder residue mixed with the lube they often use on swaged lead bullets can be pretty gummy.

It will be interesting to hear how the gas seal on the OP's new 66-8 compares to the older designs that S&W has used. The updated "-" number is sometimes a result of a new gas seal design.

Can you post a photo of it PWS?
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	196561
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    This is interesting. I've never experienced that issue. Was that with the latest design of S&Ws? Powder residue mixed with the lube they often use on swaged lead bullets can be pretty gummy.

It will be interesting to hear how the gas seal on the OP's new 66-8 compares to the older designs that S&W has used. The updated "-" number is sometimes a result of a new gas seal design.

Can you post a photo of it PWS?
    I'm shooting the new 66-8. I probably should have said carboned up the works not gummed up.The cylinder didn't spin freely on the shaft due to residue from the Titegroup and Bullseye loads . I didn't try other combinations with those powders, I moved on to other powders that work as stated in my post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3256.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	196563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3257.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	196562

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting those photos Buckeye. I'll have to inspect one of the -8s the next time I'm in a gun shop that has one.

When shooting for the police pistol team, I often shot several hundred HBWC bullets over 2.7 grains of BE or 3.0 grains of 231 in a 2 day weekend pistol match, often without time to clean the revolver. I or any of my team mates just never had that issue so I wonder if it's the new gas seal design.

I like the looks of the new S&W designs, particularly the 41 Magnum on the L Frame.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Thanks for the response, Buckeye357! That's the exact dope I was hoping to get. So far, no problems with my .44 and I haven't heard of any but...

The Smiths are a little different than the SP101 with the small flange and larger yoke axle. The SP is bad with most loads I've tried but perhaps it's just a matter of finding the right combo of powder, lube and bullet.

Sharf, I don't have a 66-8 yet but have quite an itch for one. With the same design upgrades they used on the L-frame .44Mag, I don't see why the 66-8 shouldn't last a LONG time.

This isn't the best comparison since the 629-3 (bottom cyl) has over 30k rounds through it and has quite a ring of erosion on the boss but the arrows point to the seam between rotating parts. On the 629, the boss juts forward of the cylinder face, keeping most of the debris from hitting the yoke axle directly. On the 69, the face is flush with the yoke axle so any debris has a much higher likelihood of getting between the cylinder and axle and gumming up the works.

Attachment 196573
    Last edited by PWS; 05-29-2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Add photo

Looks like we're both on this thread right now Sharf and sounds like you have plenty of time with Smiths.

The funny rectangular/round flange thingy on the 69's yoke is solid with the axle. My guess is that it serves to transfer inertia directly to the front of the frame in line with the cylinder axle and supports the yoke better. There isn't a lot of space in an L-frame for the 44 so the chambers are pretty close to the yoke axle and that doesn't leave any room for a boss. Same with the K-357, by eliminating the protruding boss, Smith can eliminate the infamous notch in the rear of the barrel.

If you do get a chance to lookyou'll see that the new configuration at one in-hand, is pretty obvious