Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why pure lead for balls?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    FrontierMuzzleloading, Shoot a ball in to something soft at 100 yards so it catches it without damaging it badly
    Good call! Is this something hint you can do FM?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    the ball never engages the rifling. The patch is the gas seal and what grips the rifling to put a spin to the ball. You'll never find rifling on the ball.

You can use wheel weight lead for round balls. I've been experimenting with different lead mixes the past few days. Shot balls that were made from 50% soft lead & 50% chilled shot lead, They load the same and accuracy was perfect.
    while it's technically true that the patched ball never touches the riflin', if you've never seen a pulled ball with grooves in it from the riflin' pushin' the patch into it you've not been around muzzleloaders much.

Boolit Grand Master

This has been going around back and forth a good many years. When I first started shooting, all I had was WW lead so that's what I shot. I also won some matches with that lead. Some people hammer patched lead into the bore. If you have that tight a combo, there is a good chance it will leave rifling marks but that alone doesn't prove anything. The patch does grip the bat and impart spin so if you have the right combo of patch and ball you will get accuracy. I agree, don't use it in HB bullets and revolver. If it's too hard you will end up bending your load lever or breaking something.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    You got a ridiculously good deal on that .36 Cal! I'd love to stumble across that same situation!!
    If you are ever in Reno, you can come over and teach me how to shoot it!

Jim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    i keep the mouthwash in my mouth until my tongue goes numb!

stop arguing!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Regardless of which you shoot, pure lead isn't that hard to find at the moment. There is still much of it out there. Contact your local roofers and you can usually get them to point you to some roof vents and/or some rolled roofing that they find on old houses. A couple of roof vents will make a big ol' pile of them little 32 and 36 balls. Also call the local plumbers and ask them if they have any lead pipe out back of their shop/shed. Lots of them just stockpile it until they have enough to take the scrap yard. Be wary of the joints, because they will have tin in them, but the pipe should be pure.
    And also... check the scrapyards if yours will sell to the public. Pure scrap lead from a scrapyard shouldn't cost more than .50-.80 a pound and,
    again you won't need a lot of it with those calibers.
    Happy shooting!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    while it's technically true that the patched ball never touches the riflin', if you've never seen a pulled ball with grooves in it from the riflin' pushin' the patch into it you've not been around muzzleloaders much.
    Lyman certainly doesn't state that should be evident. All they show is weave imprint.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    Lyman certainly doesn't state hat should be evident. All they show is weave imprint.

Banned
    Already have, including balls removed from big game... Patch weave only. Round balls do not fatten up to fill the bore like flat faced conical. In fact, even flat based conical need a wad to help seal pressure because they fail to completely seal the bore when the charge goes off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Already have, including balls removed from big game... Patch weave only. Round balls do not fatten up to fill the bore like flat faced conical. In fact, even flat based conical need a wad to help seal pressure because they fail to completely seal the bore when the charge goes off.
    People often need to see it though, especially if they disagree.

Boolit Master
    To my sense of logic for the grooves to imprint in the ball it would cut the patches, which is a bad thing. But my sense of logic has failed me before...

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frontiermuzzleloading View Post
    in fact, even flat based conical need a wad to help seal pressure because they fail to completely seal the bore when the charge goes off.
    very true!!

[QUOTE=DakotaElkSlayer;4059080]Guys, remember I just bought a .36cal and son has a .32 so the only terminal performance I really care about is accuracy. I think I have a bit of pure lead that I would like to save if I buy a conical mold.

Jim

Hi Jim,
    I cast .311 balls for the .32 rifle, and .340 - .350 for the .36 rifle. These 2 calibers due tend to vary in bore sizes, but I might have what you need. ; )
    PM me if your in need for some to try.

Jeff

Sent from my SAMSUNG

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I can vouch for the quality of Jeff's round balls. I bought many a bag before I started casting my own.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    To my sense of logic for the grooves to imprint in the ball it would cut the patches, which is a bad thing. But my sense of logic has failed me before...
    Exactly!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Not necessarily if it was dead soft lead

Banned
    btw, this was yesterday at 50 yards with 50% soft lead and 50% chilled lead shot I melted and mixed in. You can still get your finger nail into them, but its harder than with pure lead. Im going after a bull elk this year, so I want a ball thats a touch harder than the pure lead ball I used on a 175-200lb hog last year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_9110.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	196495

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Pretty group. Pretty wood also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned
    FrontierMuzzleloading, Darn good shootin!! I need to shoot some round ball, i have everything to do it, just need to get out and do it!

Perma-Banned
    [QUOTE=FrontierMuzzleloading; In fact, even flat based conical need a wad to help seal pressure because they fail to completely seal the bore when the charge goes off.[/QUOTE]

I must have been truly blessed by the BP gods. I have never, not even once, used a wad behind a roundball or maxi-ball or Lee r.e.a.l. boolit and for the most part my old T/C's have been scary accurate. with 25 years younger vision I would put my shootin' up against any of ya at 100 yards usin' open sights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast