Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Hunting opportunities in Las Cruces area?

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Hunting opportunities in Las Cruces area?

I am considering moving to S. NM. Are there any animals that can be hunted on public lands in this area? I would like to be able to use lead shot and boolits. Any ranges or BLM, public lands open for hunting nearby?
    Gracias
    When I sit down to look at my rifles in the safe.....
    I can very consistently shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.
    When I sit on the bench at the shooting range.....
    I always wish I was sitting down looking at my rifles in the safe.

well I know there are javelin, jackrabbits,probably mule deer and maybe pronghorn antelope, but im sure a nm resident will reply before long
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I live in Farmington, so not much info. I do know the dove hunting in the Hatch area (North of Cruces) is excellent. Talk to the dairy people and get permission to hunt their septic ponds. Oryx (once in a lifetime hunt) is available on White Sands missile range. Best wild game I've ever eaten!
    I'm sure there is more in the area I don't know about. I'm 425 miles away.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Armexman,

I'm a certified hunter ed instructor in New Mexico and will try to answer as accurately as possible. Most of New Mexico is public land and much of that is BLM. State owned land may or may not be open to hunting because the lease holder can make that determination but as in Colorado, BLM land is open to all. There is a State "Open Gates" program by which state land lease holders can be located on the website http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunt...-gate-program/. Near Deming there's a participant with over 7200 acres and many areas near Roswell as well as the Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge (http://www.ohranger.com/bitter-lake-...e-hunting-area). As Oklahoma Rebel said, there are javelina, jackrabbits, mule deer and pronghorn antelope. There are also coyote, elk in the mountains, cottontail rabbits, squirrel, bighorn sheep, turkey, migratory birds including duck and sandhill crane and more than enough rattlesnakes. Las Cruces is well located with almost half of the state within a four hour drive.

All big game hunting in New Mexico is now licensed by draw and by area (Game Management Units). I know people that draw for something every year and some that go years without drawing for anything. Fortunately, you only have to pay for a big game license if you draw for the species. A general hunting license plus some BLM permits lets you hunt small game and varmints on public land and any private land to which you have access. The land use permits are $9.00/yr. Habitat Stamp - $5; Habitat Management & Access Validation - $4. A resident general hunting license is only $15.00. Feral hogs are explicitly not protected in the hunting regulations but are mostly found on private land so landowner permission is required and needs to be written permission.

In addition to federal regulations, non-toxic shot is required for common moorhen, sora, Virginia rail and snipe. Non-toxic shot is also required on all State Game Commission owned or managed areas when hunting with a shotgun (slugs excluded). (http://www.leadfreehunting.com/state-regulations)

There is an artificial light law that is very easy to violate without intending to do so: "It is unlawful to shine spotlights or other artificial lights into areas where big-game species or livestock may be present, while in possession of any sporting arm, except as permitted by rule for raccoon." Talking with a game warden he said this would apply to even a flashlight if you have a firearm in your vehicle.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunt...w-information/
    http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/maps/

Hunter's Ed is required for anyone under 18 to purchase a hunting license and to shoot without adult supervision.

I invested in a handheld color GPS and software to make sure I didn't go onto private or otherwise restricted property. You can get paper BLM maps inexpensively at a BLM office but they will not be updated frequently. The divisions of land are quite small in the GPS program.

The state's game and fish hunting regulations are available as PDF downloads.

Hope this helps. If you think of anything else just ask.
    David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

AND Most importantly

You are just down the road from Hatch Green Chili a required ingredient in "Venison Green Chili Stew".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    AND Most importantly

You are just down the road from Hatch Green Chili a required ingredient in "Venison Green Chili Stew".
    I've had green chili pork stew; never heard of the venison version, but already I'm interested. Sign me up!