WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ill make the purists cringe!

Banned

ill make the purists cringe!

picked up a 2.5 inch ajst. sighted smith 66 last winter. I really liked the gun but just couldn't get it to shoot. I tried probably 10 different bullets and many powders, powder charges and even primers and never got the gun to shoot much better then 4 inch at 25 yards. So I took it to the local gun shop and swapped it even up for a used like new glock 29. I already have a 20 so theres a pile of ammo already loaded and the cool thing about a glock is accuracy isn't the main criteria for judging one. That's glock #6 for me now. Someones going to get the impression I like them.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

Doesn't matter how pretty a pistol is to me. If I can't shot it or don't trust it, it's not worth much to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

yup I'm the same way. That 357 would have been a woods bumbing gun and if it cant be at least a 2.5 inch gun at 25 yards it isn't worth much to me for that purpose. Add to that ive never been a big fan of the 357 and the fact that I have many guns already that cover that job it wasn't much of a decision. Got to say though it was the coolest 357 ive owned other then the great western I owned years ago that also wouldn't shoot for beans!

Boolit Grand Master

If it doesn't shoot a gun is worthless. At the end of the day they're a tool and nothing more. Glock has a habit of making reliable tool so nothing wrong w/ trading for one.

I am interested to see if you can group under 4 inches at 25 yds with the Glock. For a 2.5" revolver I think 4" group would be outstanding at 25 yds.

Now if you were grouping 4" at 25 feet (where it seems a lot of shooter shoot from today) I would feel that would be a poor group.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I am interested to see if you can group under 4 inches at 25 yds with the Glock. For a 2.5" revolver I think 4" group would be outstanding at 25 yds.

Now if you were grouping 4" at 25 feet (where it seems a lot of shooter shoot from today) I would feel that would be a poor group.
    My 3inch 696 will routinely shoot one inch at 25 yards. As will my 3 inch 29. Barrel length has little to do with accuracy. A short barreled gun if its a good one will shoot just as good as a long barreled gun. Come and visit and ill show you 50 yard one inch groups my 4 inch 500 linebaugh shoots with many loads. Might take a bit more consentration to shoot a short barreled gun and there tougher if the trigger isn't just right but they sure will shoot. By the way ive got 5 glocks right now my 20,23,19,and 22 will all shoot 2-2.5 inch or close to it with loads they like using cast bullets and my little 43 will do under 4 inch. My M&Ps will do as good or better except for my shield. That too is about a 4 inch gun. If it was a little snubby id consider that its use would be the same as my shield or 43 and could probably live with it. But its was a bit large to consider it in the same category as a snubby or one of those two semis. Its good enough accuracy for close in combat but for a woods bumming gun it needs to shoot groups about half the size it did. Just doesn't make much sense to me to tote around a k frame gun when ive had j frame snubbys that shot that well. Odd thing is its the first k frame I ever owned that wasn't a good shooter.

I can't shoot a 4 inch group at 25 yards with any handgun no matter how good it is from a rest, so my standards are a bit lower than yours. That said I have run into handguns that simply don't shoot for beans.
    I have a 4 trip rule for all guns. If after 4 trips to the range, they are not shooting well, working properly, meeting expectations, or at least showing promise, they move on down the road. I am too old to mess with poor shooting guns.

Boolit Master

A 2.5" point-defense belly gun that's able to hit a clay pigeon from a fourth of a football field away with fair reliability didn't "meet standards"?

I think I'd be more questioning of the standards than the belly gun, but so long as you're happy. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I had a 66-5, 3". it got traded away. I tried everything my several other 357's liked and could never get it to shoot, plus it leaded with everything when none of the other blue or stainless 357's did. it went away.........

Banned
    If it didn't work for you it needs to go down the road. End of discussion

As for Glocks, The haters are always going to hate. Glocks work and there's no getting around that fact.

Revolvers aren't as simple as some people think. Everything has to be just right for a revolver to shoot well. When everything is right, they are marvelous tools. When something is wrong and you can fix it, they can become marvelous tools. When there's bunch of things wrong and you're not sure where the problem is - they need to go down the road.

Boolit Master
    whats a glock?

some sorta musical instrument?

a baby glockenspiel ?

Banned

your not incorrect if it was a belly gun I bought it for but like I said its a gun to carry in the woods that might be required to actually make a humane shot on a rabbit, grouse, turkey ect that is what I bought it for. Kind of a baby brother to my 696. Like I said ive got j frames for a belly gun revolver already. Hitting a target the size of a clay pigeon 2 or 3 times out of 4 isn't good enough. Don't know about you but I detest gut shooting even a rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    A 2.5" point-defense belly gun that's able to hit a clay pigeon from a fourth of a football field away with fair reliability didn't "meet standards"?

I think I'd be more questioning of the standards than the belly gun, but so long as you're happy. . .

Boolit Master

Never shot the G29, only the G20. Was thinking about getting one or the G30.

Interested in how you like it and how it shoots.

Lefty

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

2.5 inch ajst. sighted smith 66
    Everyone has a certain terminology they use for guns. I'm with Lloyd on this one. A K-frame with adjustable sights I personally don't consider a belly gun. Now maybe a 2" model 10 but not a 2 1/2" model 66. But that's just me.

Yea, K is to big for a belly gun. I am S&W revolver hoarder, but I shoot them and am not the
    slightest interested in 4" or shorter guns. To big for carry and to small for field. One thing I will
    say, even the short barrels shoot if you check them off bags. Except for a few "experts" longer
    barrels are easier to shoot accurately. I can't shoot 4" Ks or Ns near as well as 6"-83/8" guns.
    I have some 4" guns but they are trade material. The only 4" guns I keep are m34s. I have yet
    to see a Glock outshoot a S&W revolver. I'm not talking shooter skill, I'm talking the pistol.

I have yet to see a Glock outshoot a S&W revolver. I'm not talking shooter skill, I'm talking the pistol.
    They are for sure a completely different platform.

Boolit Master

I had a 6" model 66 that would NOT shoot any decent group with any combo of powder/boolit I tried.
    Finally read a "Skeeter" article he mentioned 358156 and 5.0 of Red Dot.
    I got froggy and went with 5.0 PROMO and the 160 grain RNFP PB GB boolit from LONG ago GBs.

Holy Mackerel best group I have ever got out of that pistol. roughly 1.25" with semi rested shooting
    Gotta monkey around with that a little more including his recommended Boolit, but cheapskate that I am, why send a GC down range when a PB boolit will do it!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-16-2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling correction and addional info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

All of my Glocks shoot right at two inches (25 yards). Except one. A gen 2 19 with Federal 9mm BPLE 115 gr. +P+ will reliably do right at one inch. All factory parts. Most accurate Glock I've ever had, the moon must have been setting just right when it was put together.

Short barrels can shoot! The tightest group I've ever fired was from a S&W Shorty Forty Five (3.375 inch barrel). With my handloads it put eight rounds into a group that all of it hid completely behind a US quarter. Wish I could still shoot like that.

I'd've done the same thing Lloyd. Doesn't work, bye bye.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

Ill take it and my 20 to the range next week and shoot them side by side and let you know how they compare. I wont have time to work up a specific load for each. Ive got probably 4 different loads loaded for the 20 and ill just use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Never shot the G29, only the G20. Was thinking about getting one or the G30.

Interested in how you like it and how it shoots.

Lefty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast